PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Halp! Tank was asked to turn into a DPS on Tier 11 raid!!

Contravene
03-10-2011, 04:12 PM
I was invited to raid as Off Tank with a very experienced group on an adventure to Bastion of Twilight 10 man.. On the second set of bosses (two dragons) I was asked to go into ret spec.. “Oh crap I think” but asking again in a funny tone did nothing to get me out of it. Well I am in big trouble because I barely have a ret set and my DPS was 4K first attempt and 5K on the second attempt. This is horrible I turn 7K trickling slowly down to 5K sustained in tank spec.. I bursted to 5K with my Ret Paladin setup best attempt using the EJ rotation priorities..

Not sure if this is normal to be asked to go into Ret but I now have found a reason I want to build up my Ret set and I am little worried I wont to be top choice for raids otherwise.. But I have very few pieces as to be honest my interest in Ret has been low. My current guildies use the same gear I do for ret and this has been the problem of why I never end up with ret gear even though I am paying my dues in HC 5 mans. I am still saving VP to buy tank stuff too I only have 700. I am worried this will be a ton of work and then they will nerf it all in a couple weeks when 4.1 comes out anyway where I could have just kicked back and got gear easily. I guess the question is should I drop all priority to complete my ret set since I can tank Tier 11 as I sit but I am a joke in Ret versus Tier 11 anything.

Crittable
03-10-2011, 04:18 PM
I don't see the problem in this contra. You are main spec tank, you were asked to dps for the first time in a raid but your ret offspec you don't usually use. You don't have the gear because everyone else wants it and it's your offspec...

This sounds like the case in many raids. When a raid asks you to go dps, they don't expect you to be the best out there, but they expect you to do more than you would as prot. It's really not that hard to get the ret gear with all of the heroic drops and JP purchases. You don't have to spend your valor points on any ret gear at all, and the TB trinket I hear is pretty decent for ret (I don't play ret seriously so I have no clue if that is true or not). So, before your next raid, do some more heroics, get a few more pieces of heroic or JP gear, and spend some practice time on a dummy getting your fingers (or mouse hand) used to the ret priority system.

Contravene
03-10-2011, 04:31 PM
crittable thank you for the awesome reply yet again..

Krenian
03-10-2011, 04:45 PM
Contravene, I changed your original post's font because it honestly wasn't necessary to make it as big as it was. Just letting you know for future references; keep it at a regular font alright? :)

Contravene
03-10-2011, 04:51 PM
Thanks actually I tried to change it and gave up.. I was typing in Microsoft Word and I pasted it in and it was all like that so I won't be doing that again.

Krenian
03-10-2011, 04:56 PM
S'all good! :D