PDA

View Full Version : Tanking need help w/ a few vortex pinnacle pulls

Architekt
03-06-2011, 09:07 PM
I'm steadily making my way down the list of heroics I haven't tanked yet to gain experience with them. I figured before doing heroic VP I'd try tanking it in normal. I'm way overgeared for it but I just wanted the experience of knowing what/when to pull and cc and all that. Anyway, found it fairly straight forward except for a few pulls. BTW I'm playing a DK.

1. On the first encounter, I'm assuming you take out the big guy (Armored Mistral) first? Afterwards, does it really matter which mob is next?
2. With the packs of Gust Soldiers and Wild Vortexes, does it matter which is focussed down first?
3. The pack just before the final boss that's safely protected by the lightning pyramid: How am I supposed to get the guys out of there? They were immune to my DG and taunt and I couldn't seem to figure out how to get the ranged guys out of there and kind of just flailed around. I guess that applies to all the situations w/ guys stuck in there but this pack in particular doesn't pat out of it so it made it pretty challenging for me.

Found the bosses super trivial, packs were a different story. Thanks for the help.

Loganisis
03-06-2011, 09:47 PM
1 - If you can't CC the casters, I go after them first.
2 - If there's just 1 caster, knock him out. If not, its pick one and go.

3. THE PULL. What I like to do is skull the adept on the right, mark the one on the left and the rage guy (minister of air?) for CC. Charge in into skull and take him and the melee out - then the other adept and then the range guy.

The key here is they can really only effectively be CC'd outside of the triangle - so you have to wait for them to go to the far end of their patrol, when they aren't going to be in the triangle.

You can also cheese this if you have a spriest and MC the guys off the edge. They don't come back... No loot, but less headache.

Mäcintosh
03-06-2011, 10:35 PM
When you do the pulls, make sure your back is against a wall or pole so you don't get a blowback. I don't know which mobs they are, but either when they die or have a spell that blows you back. So just keep your back up against something so you can keep control of how far you do get blown back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Selene
03-07-2011, 12:39 AM
Not sure which of the cat people do the annoying stuff (stuns and I think a knockback) but the Gust Soldiers do a Knockback when they die.

Llirk
03-07-2011, 01:39 AM
The pull just before the last boss they are standing in their electric zone. I usually pull them back with a silence, as a prot warr I've got gag order so I throw one and they come out. Any ranged that stay in the zone usually come out after a few seconds if you pull back a bit, but if not I charge and shield bash for a silence then they walk out. That's the tricky bit, once they are out cc one of the adepts and kill the other. The minister of air does a fair bit of damage if left in the electricity so usually you need three silences and others in the group can silence to get them out. You can los pull right up the steps but I usually don't need to.

Short answer is silence in whatever way possible and pull back.

ácerimmer
03-07-2011, 01:45 AM
Ok this is one i can definatly help with. The 3rd bunch of trash that you talk about. the 5 in the field. ok the compostion of the group can vary. but u have one very good thing to help you get them out of the zone. The Stairs.
The ministers of Air and Temple adepts are the main ones you need to look at CCing. Easiest way to do it is mark the mobs u want cc'd (if u have rogue they can do it in the field) then get the party to wait at the top of the stairs. you run toward them. when they aggro. run back to the stairs. The casters cant hit u so run closer and out of the field. then u get them cc'd when they are out. to help aggro them drop dnd just outside the field so they run across it aswell.

Couladin
03-07-2011, 02:03 AM
Same way I do it except that I just use a simple taunt to aggro them. Walk back until you are out of line of sight. Tell you group in advance not to shoot before they are at your place and all the mobs will walk towards you. Easy and works always.

swelt
03-07-2011, 02:20 AM
It's worth noting that the answer to "3" is much different for a DK than a Warrior. Gag order is awesome for pulling here, I didn't appreciate it til I got there with my DK and found that none of my stuff worked. Line of Sight might well be the best option depending on your party make-up (e.g. Rogues are handy here as sap works and they can use tricks of the trade and a kick to get one of the casters running out to you.).

Fetzie
03-07-2011, 02:45 AM
An LoS pull should also avoid the problem that 3 out of 6 mobs charging and stunning you presents (those that don't charge you either run past or stand at the back casting on the healer).

Contravene
03-07-2011, 11:23 AM
We run Vortex Pinnacle Heroic every single day because it is the easiest Heroic dungeon to stomp down for Chaos orbs.. The one ingredient is CC because you must CC the Adepts and Minister of Air. It is so easy for us because we go in with a Rogue, Hunter and Shaman all of which have nice CC abilities.. Hunters trap is a real plus here because you need to drag them out of the electric thingie..

Pulling up the stairs, LOS and CC are the secrets to the dungeon.. 30 minute easy Chaos orb stomp down. The last boss is basically a joke.. Jump up in the air, run to the triangle, beat him down... hehe

Theotherone
03-07-2011, 11:31 AM
I'm finding H VP is just a zerg run these days with the 15% buff. The only thing to really worry about is, as was said, keeping your back to the walls on pulls or stay in the middle of the pull area with your back to solid ground, the blowback sucks, and cc the Adepts just to avoid the extra time it takes to kill the trash with their healing. But even then, the dps with the buff is crazy so even that may not be necessary.

Architekt
03-07-2011, 11:44 AM
Does strangulate/dark command actually work on the guys in the force field? For some reason I didn't think it did. But maybe what had just happened was I DC'd a ranged guy and didn't run far enough away for him to come after me. Thanks for the help, gonna try it again in normal to see how it goes.

Quinafoi
03-07-2011, 01:13 PM
No direct spell effect will work on them inside of the shield. Non-directed AoE spells will however (for example a Balance druid can actually Typhoon a mob out of a shield if it is standing in it). I believe it also makes them immune to the application of magical debuffs (a Hunter's freezing trap is classified as AoE, however while the target is in the shield it is immune to the debuff caused by the trap).

How to pull that pack is simply a matter of hitting them with something that is a non-magic ranged ability, AoE, or body pulling and running out of range or out of line of sight in order to force them to move. Even running to the bottom of the stairs is far enough to pull them out of the shield. Sap can be applied while in the shield as it is a physical effect. Traps and other forms of crowd control would need to be applied after they leave the shield. Ranged players (healers and DPS) can also take advantage of the shield themselves to negate some of the incoming damage once the hostile units have moved out of it.