PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Guild tank what should I do

Zee786
03-06-2011, 05:54 PM
Hi I'm not sure if this is in the right place on the forums so sorry if it is.
I'm the main tank in our guild and we have started raiding normals. However we keep falling at the first hurdle. I have raided on my main (different server) extensively and am currently on heroic raids but for some reason in this guild we keep wiping on trash and when we do get to the boss it's a wipe fest. I tested to see if it could be something I'm doing by going with a pug but we downed 3 bosses. I was approached by one of the healers in the pug and was offered a place in a raiding guild. Should I leave an raid with experienced people or stay and try and help bring guild mates up to speed (some don't even know what ventrilo is and some have never raided before but are in similar or better gear than me).
Help
All advice is much appreciated

Loganisis
03-06-2011, 07:09 PM
It's obviously not a slam dunk to leave. I'm guessing you like the people.

I think it comes down to one question - are they working to get get better? Is their gear well itemized? Are they working to master the best spec (e.g. are they playing arcane because it's easy, or trying to learn fire?) Do you have a core of 10 or 25 that you think will grow?

If not, then what would you gain by staying? That's the question - what is it you want. Do you prefer the people you're with right now and will suffer the slow progress, or are the wipes getting to frustrating for you to continue?

No one can answer this question for you. We can only try to help you understand it.

If there are a number of replies, you'll probably see a lot of "Dump the guild and join the progression guild" simply by the nature of the members of tankspot - they are min-max-progression oriented posters. So take posts like that with a grain of salt. The point here is you need to do what is best for you. At most we can only help you understand the issues more clearly. You need to make the decision.

Hope this helps.

Illidra
03-06-2011, 08:12 PM
^^ that is about the best answer your gna get for your question.

are they trying to improve? or d othey jsut think if you stare at the boss long enough its going to just keel over from bird flu and drop epics ?

Unforgivein
03-06-2011, 08:48 PM
It's obviously not a slam dunk to leave. I'm guessing you like the people.

I think it comes down to one question - are they working to get get better? Is their gear well itemized? Are they working to master the best spec (e.g. are they playing arcane because it's easy, or trying to learn fire?) Do you have a core of 10 or 25 that you think will grow?

If not, then what would you gain by staying? That's the question - what is it you want. Do you prefer the people you're with right now and will suffer the slow progress, or are the wipes getting to frustrating for you to continue?

No one can answer this question for you. We can only try to help you understand it.

If there are a number of replies, you'll probably see a lot of "Dump the guild and join the progression guild" simply by the nature of the members of tankspot - they are min-max-progression oriented posters. So take posts like that with a grain of salt. The point here is you need to do what is best for you. At most we can only help you understand the issues more clearly. You need to make the decision.

Hope this helps.

I very much agree with Logan, Like he said we can't make the choice for you, but we can only help you understand. I love that saying btw.

If you like these people you are raiding and you want to work and help these people progress then that is what you should do, if you want to raid and don't believe these people have it in them to be a raiding guild then that is the other choice, Most people will say dump the fail guild and join the good one, like logan said. What I would do is facter in do you like these people, do you think you would rather help them get up to par and maybe you would rather raid with them if they were actually as good as the other ? things like this is what you want to choose when making these choices.

Katzazi
03-07-2011, 01:03 AM
I'm somewhat in a likewise situation. I've worked to bring up people in my guild, too. But they struggle and don't stop to struggle. Even some heroic 5mans take a lot of time and nerves. Since there were some bad words between my raidleader and me I stoped to raid with the guild. Since then they even struggle more. I've gone with an other raid before but could not decide to change guild so I was replaced by someone else (curiosily by a warrior tank whom I've explained to use Devastate instead of Sunder Armor about two weeks before my replacement). I tried to help my guild after that again but I feel something something like burneout when doing so. Especially since there were this bad words between me and the raidleader. So I helped another guild again, this week. They asked me to join their guild, too. I'm not sure what I will do. I know that some people would understand me switching over and others would be angry about it.

But some things I do know:
- Changing over to another raid does not mean that you have to change guild, however if you do change raid you probably will want to change guild eventually, too. Especially with the new guild perks.
- Friends will stay friends even if you are in different guilds. I'm running a lot with poeple currently not in my guild.
- Don't switch over just because they are better, only switch over, when you think they handle the raiding like you like it and they are people who you would like to spend time with.
- WoW is a game. It should be fun. It should not constantly feel like a social help project to push people so that they will be able to do stuff for their own eventually. It's ok to do so for a while. It can even be revarding. But if you don't get your own results and own rewards and feel hindered by your group all the time, it will stop to be fun eventually.
- If they just don't know that you can use vent and all that, there are two possible situations: a) They will learn about how to use all the new stuff and improve or b) they just don't see the value in this stuff and cannot improve even with all the help. Maybe they even are not interested in improving themselves. Try to find out which one it is. If it's a) they should be able to raid when they have learned it.

Some more questions to think about:
- If you change guild and see that it was a bad decision, do you think your original raid would take you back? Are they begging you to stay?
- If you do not change would you regret that decision ever after (while playing WoW)? Do you think that it's your only chance?

Everybody in such a situation has to find the answer for themselfes. But don't stay just because of loyality. Don't switch just because they are better. Do it because of what is fun to you and about what peopel you like to spend your raid time with. You can spend time outside of raids with other people, don't forget that.

Zee786
03-07-2011, 02:11 AM
Thanks all for the help because you have shown me the things I need to consider before making any decision.
I loved the bellow "bird flu" lol seriously made my day I'm gonna use that as my signature if u don't mind.

^^ that is about the best answer your gna get for your question.

are they trying to improve? or d othey jsut think if you stare at the boss long enough its going to just keel over from bird flu and drop epics ?

Kat I had a similar issue with an old guild (as some one was racist but was not disciplined and when I asked why was psycho analysed about why I cared so I left) but in this case I can't stay and raid with the other guild coz they are more hardcore and have said I have to join them if I want to raid with them. They do try to get better but don't listen to advice example is we have a protection paladin caping hit and expertise and it took 2 days to explain that the strategy for wind council is to split the raid on to the 3 platforms all the while trying to 8 man it with no tanks and only on 1 platform when I pointed them to the tankspot video no1 knew what tankspot was. Any way I think I have decided to split my characters keep my paladin there but move my dk to the raiding guild at least then I can still advise if not raid.