PDA

View Full Version : PST - Episode 19

Lore
03-04-2011, 04:05 PM
cmV4Sl4GN3Q

This week:

Why do healers still prefer Grid to the default raid frames?
Would Blizzard ever make a tanking legendary?
What can I do to make recruitment go smoother?
Some responses to The Weekly Marmot about Trash Mobs
and more!

Krenian
03-04-2011, 05:10 PM
Silly Lore is Silly.

That is all.

Rennadrel
03-04-2011, 09:13 PM
Guild Wars has been able to manage both the PvE and PvP aspects of the game as totally separate identities with ease over the last few years. Class changes do not impact one another because PvP characters are made exclusively for it already at the level cap, while PvE characters start at level 1 and work up to the level cap and have access to different gear, spells and character customization. This method should have been adopted by Blizzard along time ago to be honest, I would have told you the same thing in Burning Crusade and my opinion hasn't changed. Changes to classes have negative implications on both PvE and PvP depending on what they change and this is highly problematic. If Blizzard actually took the time and made two different styles of game experience, one where you can create a character loaded with the basic necessities to start doing PvP and everything they do can only be done in PvP, such as being locked out of raid instances at all times, while other characters can start from the bottom and level up, but neither would reflect the other if changes were made to them unless it's a change that happens to fix something for both aspects of the game.

Madyrn
03-04-2011, 10:23 PM
I don't see the issue with the way things are now with an, essentially, open PvE/PvP format. I've seen, for example, combat and mut rogues excel at both PvE and PvP. All you need for either is an alternate gear set for each purpose. It seems, just MHO, that Blizz would rather allow players the ease of going from one to the other with only gear as the chief issue. The whole game is tailored more to the nuances of the gear you wear/use and not so much the specs/toons. It's all about gear and how it affects your toon and his/her abilities. If you take a step back and really look, you'll get it.

I don't doubt the benefits of a game such as Guild Wars, making such a definite separation between the two but, Blizzard's method, sloppy as it can be at times when abilities/mechanics get altered, is a nice way to keep everyone playing within the same environment and it also serves to allow players suffering from "burnout" of either style to easily jump in to the other at a minimum of a casual level.

Uranos7
03-04-2011, 11:48 PM
Not all healers use Grid some use VuDhu and Healbot. The debate as to which is best has been going on for years.
I have tried all 3 and prefer healbot myself. Vu Dhu is probably slightly better but not enough for me to learn a whole new system while the one I have is working fine. Grid although good needs addons to the addon to compete which makes it more clunky and complicated. :rolleyes:
I have found I can do more with healbot than grid even with all the other addons plus you have the problem of if one of grids addons is out of date then still others will not work. :eek:

Lore is probably basing the healbot snub on the version from a year or more ago, before it could be customized by class and spec. Healbot can now be customized to have different spellbinds even if you are a holy/disc priest switching between specs!
Also it does all the buff/ debuff watching for any class (even use it on my DK to monitor Horn and Bone Shield).:cool:

Knighterrant81
03-05-2011, 02:25 AM
That was creepy.

Petninja
03-05-2011, 09:55 AM
Tanking ring would be awesome, and would have the visual effect still if they made it give you a cool aura when you're wearing it. Maybe it could enchant me with Executioner :P.

Mashone
03-05-2011, 06:13 PM
I think the easy solution to a legendary tanking weapon would be to have a quest chain like shodowmourn with many steps, but the end results would be a choice of weapons like a staff for druid's, one hand for pally and warrior tanks and a two hand weapon for deathknights.

Shiny Bobblehead
03-06-2011, 11:36 AM
For the last question, I think as a serious answer, a lot of the reason why this guy probably quit was due to stress, failure at raiding, probably some guild drama too. Most of the things that are associated with the collapse of guilds. When you are only watching the videos (which are both informative and entertaining) you get to be a part of the world of warcraft without having to deal with that stress, the constantly being on and saying "ok with this change what do I have to do now?".

Fleksy
03-07-2011, 05:11 AM
I use standard blizz raid frames with these 2 addons

Blizzard Raid Frame - Indicators
Blizzard Raid Frame - Raid Icons

Turns it into Grid more or less without too much junk to config. I like it simple :)

feralminded
03-07-2011, 08:54 AM
Oh no ... incoming 7 page thread full of anecdotes about people either defending the default UI or healbot or vuhdo or whatever addon they use. Yes you don't HAVE to mouse-turn to succeed, but it's just better to mouse turn. Yes you probably can keep a raid alive using the default UI and clicking on a target before pressing a key to heal them, but using click macros/mods with a better coordinated raid interface is clearly better. I wonder if that will stop the torrent of anecdotes that will inevitable follow this video?

Bodasafa
03-07-2011, 04:19 PM
I want to use "Mangle" as my voice server. Good stuff Lore.

Lore
03-07-2011, 08:57 PM
The reason I said Mangler is because that's the name of the Linux/Android ventrilo client :P had it mixed up with Mumble

Katzazi
03-08-2011, 01:11 PM
Oh no ... incoming 7 page thread full of anecdotes about people either defending the default UI or healbot or vuhdo or whatever addon they use. Yes you don't HAVE to mouse-turn to succeed, but it's just better to mouse turn. Yes you probably can keep a raid alive using the default UI and clicking on a target before pressing a key to heal them, but using click macros/mods with a better coordinated raid interface is clearly better. I wonder if that will stop the torrent of anecdotes that will inevitable follow this video?

I've done both. (And I don't like Grid at all, I cannot configer it to what I want my raidframes to be, while I actually can do that with the default UI and many other addons, but that's just a personal issue.)

The most important stuff is that a healer has to learn what she wants to see (and what she does not want to see) in the UI and how to configure the UI to show just that. If the UI cannot do that, you should consider to use another raid UI. You can do a lot of configuration with the default UI and you can add very small addons to show you special stuff on the standard UI. So there is no need to call people out just because the don't use healbot or grid. Whatever addon you use - it does not do the healing for you. It's the player who has to make the good or bad decisions. And whatever UI you use, you will have time to click/move the mouse, push a button for it. The UI does not make you a good or bad player.

However a good configured UI makes you a better healer. And that's mostly independend on which addon you actually use. The part that makes you a better player with it, is the configuration process. Because when you sit down and configure it, you have to think about your needs and about where your lacking at the moment, so what should be shown more prominent. You have to find your weak spots and you configure your UI so you can better address those weak spots.

I've been in raids who said "grid required" or even "healbot required". I was outhealing all their healers without ever using any of those two addons ever inside of a raid. And I think I will never use one of them in a raid. There are just other addons which help me much more. And it's just dumb to assume just because someone has an unconfigured version of one of those addons, they are doing it right and me (who uses what I like) is doing it wrong just because of this.

There is no UI that fits all healers. But most UIs will be bad if not configured to the player. That is true for default UI and grid and every other UI you can find. And just because a setup works for one healer that does not mean that the same setup will be best for the next.

Uranos7
03-13-2011, 07:12 AM
I think the easy solution to a legendary tanking weapon would be to have a quest chain like shodowmourn with many steps, but the end results would be a choice of weapons like a staff for druid's, one hand for pally and warrior tanks and a two hand weapon for deathknights.

Like they have already done with the "Battered Hilt" quest.
Yes it was only an epic, but it is a good example of how it could be done.