PDA

View Full Version : Warrior Taking too much damage?

zerep
03-04-2011, 10:52 AM
Hello Tankspot,

Last night, before we Killed Cho'gall, My healers and I had a discussion in officer chat, They stated that they think i take too much damage, even though i have gem/reforged for Avoidance. I rotate my CD's correctly and know when to use them. They seem to think its a gear issue. Is there anything you guys can see based on my gear that could use fixing?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/malygos/zerep/advanced

Ignore the dps sword, Waiting on my bid for soul blade to go through.

gutter
03-04-2011, 10:59 AM
Are they saying that on all the fights or just Cho'gall? Compared to the fights before him, Cho'gall dishes out TONS of tank damage. More than any other single-target boss in this tier of normal modes (with the exception of, like, Chimaeron, but that doesn't count). By glancing at your gear, it looks fine to me, but I don't play a tank so I'm not up on all of the latest trends. I heal, though, and can tell you that if you really are rotating your CDs properly and all, that it's just a really damage-heavy fight.

klausi
03-04-2011, 11:33 AM
Well your recent achievement tells me you actually beat him today? Not the less..

Cho'gall dishes out TONS of tank damage
.. if not handled correctly. Is worship dealed with in time or are there always some ticks flying around? Do you always use your trinket when the fire damage phase occurs?

Reconsider your gemming route, two solid chimaeras instead of mastery? And reforge away your expertise instead of avoidance stats (legs, wrist) and why did you sometimes reforge dodge away and sometimes parry? You are low on dodge so reforge parry to dodge. What about those enchants, Avalanche on your weapon instead of Mending? No chest/back enchant at all. Specc wise gag order instead of shield specc & hold the line? Thunderstruck over incite? Cruelty is worse then incite, if you want to stick to safeguard drop points from there or improved revenge.

gutter
03-04-2011, 11:54 AM
Well your recent achievement tells me you actually beat him today? Not the less..

.. if not handled correctly. Is worship dealed with in time or are there always some ticks flying around? Do you always use your trinket when the fire damage phase occurs?

Reconsider your gemming route, two solid chimaeras instead of mastery? And reforge away your expertise instead of avoidance stats (legs, wrist) and why did you sometimes reforge dodge away and sometimes parry? You are low on dodge so reforge parry to dodge. What about those enchants, Avalanche on your weapon instead of Mending? No chest/back enchant at all. Specc wise gag order instead of shield specc & hold the line? Thunderstruck over incite? Cruelty is worse then incite, if you want to stick to safeguard drop points from there or improved revenge.

This is all true, but I wanted to point out that cho'gall still does very high damage even if the raid does everything pretty much right. Even with zero worship ticks, Flame's Orders hits surprisingly hard, and it's not unheard of to get a tick or two now and then depending on your raid composition. Shadow's Orders is the easier of the two stances in terms of tank healing, but even then it can get a bit uncomfortable. Plus, factor in that as a healer you frequently have to move to avoid the shadow crashes, and sometimes end up with two healers mind-controlled, and the damage that cho'gall puts out on the tank can lead to a few heartstopping moments.

Am I saying it's really difficult? No. But I know that personally Cho'gall can be a challenging healing fight and that it's the only fight in all of normal content that has our tanks frequently dip too low for comfort. If his healers say he's taking too much damage, I think there's a high chance that it's NOT a gear issue and that cho'gall is just hitting really hard. That's just what I was getting at.

barbafh3
03-04-2011, 04:39 PM
I have the same issue as he does, but in my case its mostly on Magmaw, wich is the first boss were trying, and sometimes on heroic dungeons >.< heres my profile:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/shadowmoon/%C3%98ni/advanced

Guinness
03-04-2011, 04:53 PM
You are missing 2 enchants.

+250 armor for your cloak
+55 or +75 stamina for your chest

The other thing is you have a lot more parry than dodge. I thought you are supposed to have close to a 1:1 ratio, do that you don't hit diminishing returns.

edit Oni, you have 6 unenchanted items.

Loganisis
03-04-2011, 09:35 PM
I have the same issue as he does, but in my case its mostly on Magmaw, wich is the first boss were trying, and sometimes on heroic dungeons >.< heres my profile:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/shadowmoon/%C3%98ni/advanced

You're geared mostly right (missing some enchants, should have pure mastery gems in the BS sockets - but nothing major). WHEN in the fight are taking too much damage? When he starts to eat you? Yes. You will take too much damage, all tanks do at this part. You need your CDs for this phase and DPS needs to jump on his head and bring him down before he eats you too much.

As for heroics - which parts? I would suggest starting your own thread, listing the specific fights and what parts of those fights you are having problems with. And if you have log files, that would be great. But start a new HALP! thread for it.