PDA

View Full Version : Death Knight Tanking. Where to now?

Gotankadin
03-03-2011, 09:40 PM
Hi All,

Just wanted to get a couple of suggestions;
What item level should I be at to start raiding?
Will this be sufficient?
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/silvermoon/legata/simple

Thanks for any advice.

Netheras
03-03-2011, 11:19 PM
You need a lot of things before you start raiding.

First: Your spec is a little weird. You have 5 points in Frost, as if you were going to take Lichborne, but then did not. No idea what that is about. And you have one point in Epidemic. Almost as if that was just a throwaway point, which it is not.

Here is the Lichborne spec if you are not sure where to put the points:
10 man with interrupt duty - http://www.wowhead.com/talent#jcGr0sMruszG0obZ0b:so0zk
25 man with one point left over (Epidemic is probably best) - http://www.wowhead.com/talent#jcGG0sMruszG0oZ0b:so0zk

and the macro:
#showtooltip Lichborne
/cast Lichborne;
/cast [@player] Death Coil

Notice there are glyphs in both specs. This is useful because you don't have any, and I don't have to list them all out.

Second, your stats. It looks like you are going for mastery. If that is the case, consolidate your gems so that you are mastery and more mastery with stam or something else. You have far more expertise than the dodge cap, which is nice to get near but not strictly necessary, so you don't have to have that much. 15 to 20 is probably more than enough. Your hit doesn't have to be that high either - if you are worried about interrupting, you really only need it at around 3% to be effective.

Your trinkets are ok, but you could have better than the avoidance (get one with mastery instead) and one with a stam boost (not a health boost like Heart of Thunder) would probably help you out a bit better.

You should get your enchants for helm and shoulders before raiding, and any weak enchants or gems should be switched out before then as well. Try to get all 346 gear, its not strictly necessary but much more helpful. Heroic dungeon loot is much better to go into a raid with.

Look for a weapon with mastery on it as well to give you that extra boost in that direction.

On my server, people look for ilvl 350 if they are pugging out a spot.

Work on your character a bit more before you jump into raiding is what I'd say.

Gotankadin
03-03-2011, 11:52 PM
Ok thanks Netheras, ill check back in a couple days.

Gotankadin
03-07-2011, 08:33 AM
Ok So I think I have made a few improvements. I still need to take out some of that expertise. What is the dodge and parry cap? (Before diminishing returns)
Also I noticed myself missing quite a bit for some reason on heroic bosses. Thats why I made my hit so high.

Netheras
03-07-2011, 09:03 AM
You're going to miss on heroic bosses, thats a given unless you're at 8%. You don't need as much hit to keep threat or even really make sure that your Death Strikes are constantly hitting (since you just hit it again with just the loss of time - there's still more theory going on about this since it is incredibly subjective, but anyway) since you can just strike again.

Your gems are still sort of all over the place (and you have a bunch of stam gems which aren't hugely necessary) so I would focus on which direction you're going - mastery or avoidance. You shouldn't try and keep both up, just one or the other. After you decide that, just focus on pushing that stat. There is no cap (reachable at this tier, and mastery soft cap might be at 3500) so just stack stack stack.

Theotherone
03-07-2011, 11:59 AM
Personally, I don't use the Lichborne spec; I tried using Lichborne to heal myself early on in WoLK and just found it clunky and that just turned me off to it. While we can try to be helpful, healers still have a job to do (I play a Disc Priest and Holy/Prot pally also before the healers jump on me). In the end, it's one of those personal choice specs.

My take on gemming is blue=stam; yellow = mastery/stam; and red gets parry/stam (for lack of anything better) if I care about the socket bonus. If I don't care about the socket bonus I default to stam e.g Raz's Pauldrons (heroic), +10 hit just didn't float my boat enough to give up stam.

You really should grind rep, some great rewards like Tol Bard = Trinket; Hyjal = back; Wildhammer = boots; Therazane rings (346) and shoulder enchant; Ramkahen = bracers (and neck you can reforge and it's very servicable).

Teddysham
03-07-2011, 12:31 PM
I have a blood dk also imo gemming stam is a thing of the past (WOTLK) you need mastery or avoidance over stam but that just my opinion.

Theotherone
03-07-2011, 12:34 PM
I have a blood dk also imo gemming stam is a thing of the past (WOTLK) you need mastery or avoidance over stam but that just my opinion.

Call me old fashion, but I'll take effective health (stam/mastery/armor) over avoidance. Get avoidance on gear, don't actively pursue it unless it leads to something better i.e. a good socket bonus.

Netheras
03-07-2011, 12:51 PM
I don't think stam is a bad thing, just not something to actively gem for (to excess, half gems are sort of expected) until you reach heroic raid content where it would make more of a difference. Other than that, it really does seem like mastery is the way to go. I'm not working very hard on my own tank set, but to me, most of my socket bonuses suck...

Loganisis
03-07-2011, 01:29 PM
Mastery is nearly EH for DKs isn't it? Mastery = bigger absorbs? Well outside of magic damage.