PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Prot War - Threat in guild heroics

BurningExcel
03-03-2011, 07:11 PM
Before anything, I just wanted to give a big thanks to those of you who are taking the time to read this and to the Tankspot crew, who takes the time and patience to make guides for the masses :D

Lets get a spec in so you can see what my goodies are:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/terenas/mitamori/simple

Moving along, as the title says, I seem to be having trouble holding threat from fellow guildies in heroics. I do the typical rotation which is

CS > BR > Shield Block > Charge > HT > Rend > Sunda¬Clap > Shockwave > Shield Slam > Revenge > CB > Devastate > DS > IR + Cleave spam, and then work in whatever isn't on CD or has proc'd.

I seem to always do fine in raids and random heroics, yet when it's a guild heroic, everything seems to fall apart. The typical setup for the guild heroic group is a fury war, frost dk x2 (One 2h, one dual wield), and a random healer. To those who guess who dies the most gets a cookie!

P.S. I'm being lazy on the cloak + shoulder enchant, so just ignore that... I'm working on it! @_@;

Tengenstein
03-03-2011, 07:22 PM
It's late, i haven't a clue what DS is to a warrior, but i find its best for Multitarget to;

CS > BR > Shield Block > Charge > HT > Shockwave > Rend > thunderclap > revenge >SB/DEV/Everything else.

for single target

For single target pulls your roatation is based on a 4 GCD pattern that restarts everytime you get a Sword and board proc (ie if you can shield slam, you should shield slam). so it should look a little like this;

1. Shield slam
2. Revenge (if unavailable, Devastate)
3. Revenge (if unavailable, Devastate)
4. Other abilities

Your other abilities are in approximate descending threat value

Concussion Blow
Shockwave with 3 stacks of Thunderstruck
Thunderclap refreshing a Rend with less than 3 seconds left (if somone is putting up the 30% bleed damage debuff for you
Shockwave with 1 or 2 stacks of Thunderstruck
Thunderclap refreshing a Rend with less than 6 seconds left (if somone is putting up the 30% bleed damage debuff for you
Thunderclap refreshing a Rend with less than 3 seconds left (without the 30% bleed damage debuff for you
Heroic Throw
Shockwave
Rend (with +30%bleed damge fresh application, not clipped)
Thunderclap refreshing a Rend with less than 6 seconds left (without the 30% bleed damage debuff)
Thunderclap refreshing a Rend with less than 9 seconds left (with the 30% bleed damage debuff for you)
Revenge
Thunderclap refreshing a Rend with less than 9 seconds left (without the 30% bleed damage debuff for you)
Devastate
Rend (without +30%bleed damge fresh application, not clipped)
Victory Rush
ThunderClap (this debuff should have as high uptime as possible)
Demoshout (this Debuff should have as high uptime as possible)

At the same time you should be using Heroic Strike as often as you can withough stoppong you using the above 4GCD cycle through lack of rage.

Also your spec aint great for threat i would definetly drop Impending Victory, Blood Craze, & Battle Trance. I might also drop Gag Order and Imp. Revenge (in which case pretty much drop Revenge from your rotation) I would Pick up, Incite, war academy, and Deep Wounds.

Loganisis
03-03-2011, 08:24 PM
DS is demo shout is my guess.

Burning - is it boss or mob trash that gets you in trouble?

Are your guild DPS being stupid and charging in right behind you and popping CDs? In all seriousness - my guess is your guild DPS is being lazy in guild runs and it's their fault, not yours.

Vengences takes a while to build up. If they can't wait a few seconds, don't run with them.

It sounds like it's packs of trash that you're having problems with. So my suggestion is:

1. DPS install omen3
2. Mark kill order, skull and X should be plenty.
3. Heroic Throw -> CHarge -> Rend -> TC -> Shield block + Shield slam -> Shockwave.

That works pretty well for gathering up trash, building your AoE threat and giving them a good signal (shockwave) for when to rush in.

Your description of the problem is pretty general, but my guess, given it's Fury + DKs, that it's their fault for not watching threat and just going balls out.

Fledern
03-04-2011, 12:09 AM
My guess: your guild group is feeling pro & going nuts all out the milisecond they see you CS or charge. Maybe the fury warrior heroic leaping over your charge? My cookie promise says fury warrior. I know my dps likes to mess with me during heroics, so maybe having a chat with them may help?

woodyman
03-04-2011, 06:14 AM
first up ur running with a full team of melee?? this is always gonna cause u issues
second up its DKs and Warriors the biggest aggro monkeys out there..

tell them to behave or try and take a more viable comp

sifuedition
03-04-2011, 10:53 AM
Fury cleave + howling blast x 2 + OMGA THE METERS =

Bad dps is bad