PDA

View Full Version : Mage Good rotations for Arcane Mage

Grobud
03-03-2011, 08:16 AM
Hey everyone and thanks for the opprtunity to post this kind of stuff. I was really needing help figuring out a great rotation for when I am in Dungeons. I am really tired of the DPS meter popping up and I am either at the bottom or close to it. Is there any advice for a levle 75/76 Arcane Gnome Mage?:cool:

Kershak
03-03-2011, 08:21 AM
I wouldn't even consider Arcane for leveling... I guess your aim is to get to level 85 ASAP, where Arcane won't be a solution for Dungeons and Raids anyways...

Griff
03-03-2011, 11:03 AM
Actually, Arcane isn't bad for leveling. You get a baked in slow with your arcane blast and decent burst damage so you can usually cook bad guys off before they trudge their slowed way over to you. Frost however, does offer much better kiting functionality.

Rotation for leveling is AB, AB, AB, AB, AB, AB, Evocate, AB, AB, AB, AB, AB

(Really, do arcane blast to 4 stacks and then clear with arcane barrage - if you find yourself running out of mana, stop stacking to four and switch to arcane missles for stack-clearing. Use your AM as soon as it procs to clear your stacks while you let your mana recharge if you're in between evo and mana gem)

Grobud
03-03-2011, 12:59 PM
So your saying Arcane is no good in Dungeons and Raids? If thats the case what would you suggest for a dominating SPEC? Thanks for your reply its much appreciated!

Grobud
03-03-2011, 01:04 PM
Thnks for your reply I really appreciate it. When I am in a dungeon I was throwing everything I had at em thinking that I was rockin out when in reality my DPS was crap....lol. So now what I've been dong is hitting them with my "Slow" then AB till it procs then AM. So do you think the Barrage would be a better follow up after the blast proc's? Once again thanks for the response!

Griff
03-03-2011, 03:05 PM
Fire is the top dps spec for mage these days, but for single target fights without a lot of movement, I suspect arcane can top fire. Fire's advantage is that is has real aoe, unlike arcane and it provides for strong dps while moving, which is pretty necessary for a lot of today's raid content.

The trick with arcane is to get your AB debuff up to 4 stacks, that's where you're doing your maximum damage with it. I think Arcane barrage will do more damage than arcane missiles but AM is better for mana conservation. They take longer to cast though and you can't move while they are firing so its situational.

I took a look at your armory and I think though that your rotation isn't the issue with your dps. Your current hit rating is 0. If you're not hitting your target, they do 0 dps. After intellect, hit rating is a mage's top dps stat. If you're worried about your performance, getting your hit rating up will help you out alot.

Bigbad
03-03-2011, 03:32 PM
I usually open with:
AB>AB>fire orb>AB>timewarp>instant AB>Arcane power/mana gem/trinkets/troll racial>Ab spam>Evocate.

Then depending on the length of the fight more AB spam or a conservative rotation of Ab3/4>missiles.

Does awesome dps in heroics where you can burn bosses down quickly. Fire is better for movement and aoe though.

Grobud
03-06-2011, 12:01 PM
That is the first time I have herd that Fire can out weigh Arcane and while moving It sounds like a more enjoyable spec rather than just standing there clicking AB for 30 minutes. I think Running around while casting spells sounds like a blast, Thank you for the info I will put it to use.

Griff
03-07-2011, 02:20 PM
You can't cast all your spells, only a few. Flamestrike is an instant cast for fire mages and you can cast Scorch while moving if you spec for it (and you should if you're playing fire) it doesn't do the same kind of damage as fireball but its basically free to cast and you can spam it while you run hither and yon.