PDA

View Full Version : DPS Raid Progression: Where to begin, again...

Speetz
02-26-2011, 09:52 AM
So we've worked hard; grinded Heroics and Rep, spent tons of cash on crafted Epics and reforging to be the best. We want to raid, and are damn ready.

But I have no real idea where to start. XD

I've been told Halfus is good. Our Comp has enough ranged, up to 3 healers, possibly more, we have 2-3 tanks for the comp and pleeeenty of melee DPS. I'm a little worried on Ranged but I'm more than willing to PuG an out of guild friend to fill a spot or even two.

So where should we go first? Whats a good way to get us ready, as far as getting used to the way the mechanics work, and how critical they are? It's nearly impossible to get my guild in a BH run because Ally has TB a few times a week at very random times.

Any advice overall is very appreciated. I just want to get to it now that we have a full, functional 10 man team, and then some.

Thanks in advance.

Selene
02-26-2011, 10:02 AM
all the raids are about equal in difficulty for the most part, though 4winds does require more coordination.

I would suggest start with BoT or BWD.

Netheras
02-26-2011, 10:05 AM
Assuming you're a ten man, you shouldn't need 3 tanks. That being said, Halfus, Magmaw, and Conclave of Wind are all pretty simple encounters. Conclave seems complicated but is actually very easy and pretty fun. Halfus seems to get easier the more often you kill him, but that might just be because of the changes to the encounters.

You should really just go to all three and try them out. From there, just see which one you were closest to downing (if you don't get them within a few pulls) and then stick with that until you get it down, and then move back to the others to see if you can get those down too. The important thing is to start raiding and learning how your group functions.

Fetzie
02-26-2011, 10:12 AM
My easiest to hardest list

Easy:
BWD: Magmaw, Omnotron
BoT: Halfus (easy drakes), V&T
ToW: Conclave

Middle:
BWD: Maloriak, Atramedes, Chimaeron
BoT: Halfus (hard drakes), Ascendants (dps gate boss, either you burn him down in time or you don't)

Hard:
BoT: Chogall (easiest of the final bosses)
CoW: Al'akir
BWD: Nefarian (hardest of the normal mode bosses)

If Halfus has frenzy, shadow nova and mortal strike for your first lockout, go to blackwing descent, you will find maloriak easier.

Conclave and omnotron are very simple execution fights. Halfus and Magmaw are dps checks as well as orientation checks. From there on in, you will be wanting your 5 dps (assuming you 2 tank/3 heal the places which is to be recommended) to be pulling 12-16k dps each to beat the berserks/soft enrages.

Speetz
02-26-2011, 02:02 PM
Thank you guys for your advice!

So basically, Halfus is a good starting point depending, as is Magmaw/Omnotron. I was thinking about going to ToTT, but I do know it is a coordination heavy fight. I want ot ease my group into that aspect of raiding, as it's something I know at least a few of them aren't extremely familiar with on a more extreme scale.

And I didn't mean we had 3 tanks, just that I have 3 to choose from sort of thing. We have 2 nights a week we plan on raiding so they might be alternating etc.

Are most of the fights 3 heals fights? I was under the impression some were 2 heals others were 3 depending. Also, 3 Ranged/2 Melee, is that more or less required or can it go the other way?

Thanks again for the advice; I like the idea of kind of trying each of them out to figure out exactly what dungeon would be better for us to try and progress in. I will do some more research on BWD as it's my least knowledgeable Raid Dungeon as of now.

Tschus
02-26-2011, 02:13 PM
Most of the fight can be done with 3 healers. One of the tanks has a descent dps/heal offspec is a plus. 3 ranged is good, if you have only two then you might encounter some difficulties in certain fights.

If you have good healers, you can try magmaw. Omnotron/conclave requires less gears but need more coordination. Halfus with whelps up is usually pretty easy too.

Dont forget Baradin Hold! It's the easiest among all. :D

Speetz
02-26-2011, 05:58 PM
Most of the fight can be done with 3 healers. One of the tanks has a descent dps/heal offspec is a plus. 3 ranged is good, if you have only two then you might encounter some difficulties in certain fights.

If you have good healers, you can try magmaw. Omnotron/conclave requires less gears but need more coordination. Halfus with whelps up is usually pretty easy too.

Dont forget Baradin Hold! It's the easiest among all. :D

Haha, yeah BH with a G-group would be nice but Ally on my realm only has it a few times a week at very odd times. XD

I think we will try Halfus, and if we end up with an /epicfail then we can try out Magmaw/Omnotron later that week and come back to Halfus the next week with different drakes. Either way I think I can keep the 10 team happy and the guild itself with trash runs etc. on off-nights.

I'm surprised there isn't a sitcky somewhere for things like this, on Tankspot or other forums, as it seems to me to be something that probably comes up or is at least information that should be discussed or brought up.

On that note, any more suggestions or input would be appreciated! I'll be checking the thread every hour or so and keeping it up in my browser as our meeting to discuss raid times isn't until Monday. :P

Thanks again!!!