PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Guildies bugging me about hit/expertise!

Machoen
02-23-2011, 03:56 PM
Hello! I know that hit and expertise is irrelevant now, I've seen it everywhere.
eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/sylvanas/clone/advanced

My problems are, I'm not struggeling with threat, but I miss a lot with my interrupt!
I told them at tonights raid on council when they asked me how much hit I had, I said 0.75%, everyone started talking and I coulnd't hear anything but woow, shit dude etc.

My current stats are:

13% Parry
13% Dodge
55% Block
22.50 Mastery (34%)
0.75% Hit Chance

What should I do? Should I reforge something? Gems? (No-No!)

Help me out,

Clone Sylvanas EU

Bellanca
02-23-2011, 04:03 PM
Honestly, interrupts are better handled by the DPS classes that are required to be at max hit to do their jobs. The tank's job is keeping aggro and surviving.

Your raid make-up doesn't have enough interrupters to spare? Or is your raid leader not spreading interrupters out to where they'll do the most good?

Machoen
02-24-2011, 01:55 AM
The RL is doing a great job spreading interrupters etc, but the problem is, for example, when Im tanking Feludius, I am the only one who can interrupt the Hydro Lance, because the melee is on Ignacious, and we have 2 mages, but they say they have way too long cooldown on the counterspell and that they have to focus much more than me.

Our setup is:

Unholy DK, Disc/Holy Priest, Resto Druid, Resto Shaman, Protection Warrior, Feral Druid Tank, 2x MM Hunter, 1x Survival Hunter, 1x Fire Mage.

Deathsvalor
02-24-2011, 02:58 AM
Both the MM Hunters have access to Silencing Shot on a 20 second Cooldown and the Mage has Counterspell on a 24 second Cooldown. They should be able to handle the Hydro Lance between them.

If not (and I do not know why) you should reforge out of expertise first and into Hit. If you cannot get all of the Hit with Expertise, make sure your RL understands that you will lose some survival and reforge out of avoidance then lastly, out of Mastery.

You are still going to run into problems where Glaciate and Hydro Lance happen back to back and you need to be in 2 places at once to survive and interupt. Be sure to have Intervene and Charge ready.

Llirk
02-24-2011, 03:10 AM
If you end up needing to be hit capped another way is to swap in hit trinkets. Heroic versions of Might of the Ocean and Right Eye of Rajh go a long way to capping adding around 2.37% each (I think anyway).

Tengenstein
02-24-2011, 03:13 AM
Counterspell is a 24 second CD, 2 mages, so 1 interupt every 12 second.

Silencing shot is a 20 second CD, 2 hunters, so1 interupt every 10 seconds.

Shield Bash is a 12 second CD, 1 prot warrior, so 1 interupt every 12 seconds.

Option 1; your mages need to quit their jibberjabber and learn to play, not being able to CS is akin to not being able to polymorph.
Option 2; your healers need to keep people topped off to survive hydro lance
Option 3; your raid accepts your gonna be a damnsight squishier you're gonna lose maybe 6% avoidance or maybe 9% block(and crit block)

I did this fight sucessfully with 0.00% hit, and we used option 2 (my ranged where Spriest, Demolock and Surv hunter, so no ranged interupts). Hydrolance deals 55k dmg max, aslong as peeps aren't left below that and you have a resistance aura/totem down, its not the end of the world to for it to get through. Additionally their will be times during the fight that Feludius will immediatly follow up a glaciate with a Hydro lance, a quick charge shield bash will manage most of the time but on occaision you will be out of range, for the exact same reason you don't put melee on Feludius, you can't rely on a warrior tank for interupts even if his is hitcapped.

i really don't understand why the mages need to focus that much more than you, both of you get waterbombed and inferno leapt, you get to avoid glaciated, while they get to play with with debuffs and dps aegis of flame. maybe their tab buttons are stiff and really far away?

a quick death or two in your hit gear and maybe your raid will get the point that interupts are not just the tanks responsibilty. Hydrolance's going through becuase the tank missed tend to be preferable to Hydrolance's going through becuase the tank is dead.

Fayre
02-24-2011, 03:39 AM
To take the devils advocate view, in a 10 man you ARE going to be short on interrupts at times. If you can get a touch more hit for the occasions when you need to interrupt, without completely sacrificing your other stats, then do it. You're definitely going to need to grab yourself a setup with 5% hit when you get to Nefarian anyway.

Machoen
02-24-2011, 04:18 AM
I agree with everyone. I am making a threat/hit set, and I really don't want to lose my avoidance/block.

Thanks for the stuff you wrote I will tell it to my guildmaster,

MellvarTank
02-24-2011, 09:15 AM
In my threat set I am still block capped with shield block. Yes I'm squishier, but not by much. I've successfully tanked a lot of bosses with that set (which was followed by a quiet 'oops').... that being said.....

If you absolutely have to get the interrupts then you may need to build a 'hit' set. Just let the healers know you'll be squishier, but you'll be able to reliably interrupt.

I don't think that saying 10 man=short interrupts is correct. In my 10 man, we swap out on what we need, at any given time we can have 2 priests, an ele shaman, a rogue, a dk, a fury warrior, a prot warrior, a mage, etc. You may have to adjust certain things to help with your makeup, but that is it.

Bottom line becomes: If the guild needs your interrupt, then you have to do what you can to make it reliable.

klausi
02-24-2011, 09:54 AM
Yes I'm squishier, but not by much.
That's an important point. I trade ~3% avoidance from going without any expertise to expertise softcapped. Having 12% more of my attacks landing isn't important on the long run but when we pop hero early and our furies (recklessness + deathwish) or rets (wings + zealotry) trying to go all out (eg Atramedes first ground phase) they are quickly capped due to my aggro generation including md/tricks/thorns, or picking up adds that have to die very quickly (Magmaw HC). And it takes some time until you have enough vengeance to establish a decent threat lead on your own.