PDA

View Full Version : Death Knight DK tank

Couladin
02-22-2011, 03:52 AM
Hello all,

I have the feeling I am on the right way. Heroics are easy now and in raids I feel I have enough threat and survivability. But since I'm always looking for ways to improve myself I am posting the link to my armory page.

Reforging is mainly focussed on mastery. Gemming is focussed on mastery and parry combined with stamina.

Here the link: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/Earthen-Ring/Couladin/simple

If you have any tips, they are always welcome. Thanks in advance!

Netheras
02-22-2011, 08:23 AM
I would say instead of reforging the hit into parry, you just go for mastery instead. As it is, you'll probably be ok without it. Consider Rune of Swordshattering if you want some extra parry that way. If you can get the mastery gems instead of the parry, I would go with that too.

Ditch the Glyph of Pillar of Frost, that looks like a leftover glyph from Frost if you were tanking in Wrath. Dancing Rune Weapon, Vampiric Blood, and even Bone Shield work well for that slot.

If you haven't looked into the Lichborne or Desecration specs I would check them out for the added utility in both. The Desecration spec works well for dealing with adds, and Lichborne adds another cooldown when paired with using Death Coil on yourself for massive healing. That spec requires the Death Coil prime glyph however, so you would just replace your Death Strike glyph.

Other than that I think you'll be ok!

Couladin
02-23-2011, 02:51 AM
Thanks for the reply!

Will surely look into the glyph. Didn't notice that before. :)

I'm in doubt for the parry / mastery thing. Yes, mastery is one of the best things for a tank, but parry and dodge are also very good. Since the theory crafters are still not clear on which is best I think 2 things:
1. The effects have to be close to each other, otherwise it would be easy to determine which is better.
2. Since there are different fights with different mechanics it's better to have them both at a decent level instaed of 1 at a very good level and the other ver low. Gives a better average performance.
I'm already at 111% of the healing as a shield. Do I need more at this stage?

The 3rd point confuses me a bit. I asume you are talking about getting the talent called "desecration" or "Lichborne". I understand desecration helping with adds since it slows them, but I don't see a use for Lichborne, especially not for healing. It helps you to be imune for charm / fear and sleep effects. How would this help my Death Coil healing?

sifuedition
02-23-2011, 04:16 AM
Just like you can heal your ghoul with Death Coil, you can heal yourself with Death Coil while you are under the Lichbourne effect. So the idea is when you know there is a high damage mechanic, you lay off of Rune Strike and pool your Runic Power. When you take the dmg, you Lichbourne and Death Coil heal yourself to full.

Netheras
02-23-2011, 08:45 AM
Exactly. And the relevant math on the mastery versus avoidance subject is interesting...
Though it seems to suggest that mastery is better than avoidance.

1. The effects have to be close to each other, otherwise it would be easy to determine which is better.
2. Since there are different fights with different mechanics it's better to have them both at a decent level instaed of 1 at a very good level and the other ver low. Gives a better average performance.
I'm already at 111% of the healing as a shield. Do I need more at this stage?

@ The first point, it isn't easy but still doable. The following is a paraphrased account from Pwnwear and Gwyjake's math on the subject:

@ Second, for a tank that has a Death Strike period of less than 9 seconds, mastery wins on the fights with physical and magical damage, and maximizing mastery on pure physical fights depends on how good you are to reach the soft cap where stacking it no longer makes an appreciable difference on the intake of damage.

If you aren't using your Death Strike within the window of your blood shield (10 seconds) then mastery isn't great in a high damage case, but it would seem odd that you weren't if the incoming damage was crazy high. Anyway, the idea is that in a high damage case, if you are between 8 and 9 seconds with each DS and the damage is only a small portion of magical damage, then you should maximize either mastery or avoidance. Not both, as it will actually increase the damage you take. On an intermediate damage case, avoidance becomes favored, but this only starts to happen when you outgear the content. As it is, if your DS period is less than 8 seconds, then mastery is loads better (assuming a high damage case).

Mastery is still better in either case, and I would support this by saying that it only makes sense, as your shield becomes better and better depending on your heal. If you have a heal for 10k, and 100% mastery, you get 10k as a shield, but if you have a 10k heal with 150% mastery, you have a 15k shield etc.

All of this depends on if you're the player that likes to use DS in a regular fashion. It seems supported by Riggin's own experience over at EJ. He is currently in 25 man progression content and has found it better to have mastery than avoidance since it depends on player skill rather than the randomness of avoidance.

Couladin
02-24-2011, 12:54 AM
I do use DS a lot, so that makes it easy. :)

I have one other question. Tonight I reach the 2200 VP points. So I can buy a nice T11 item. At this moment I have the crafted epic chest. For the legs and gloves I have some 346 items.

The legs and gloves have a chance to drop from Argaloth. The chest does not, but the upgrade seems not as big beceause of the epic version. What is smart to buy?

I was thinking to buy the legs first, than the gloves if they didn't drop from Argaloth yet and last the chest since that is epic already. Good idea?

And thanks for the replies so far!

Netheras
02-24-2011, 07:52 AM
I would go with the legs or the chest since they cost more.

The legs are totally avoidance, but the chest has mastery. I don't know about the crafted piece so I can't really say.

The two piece doesn't seem all that interesting but the 4pc I've heard is very nice. I would go with the legs if you're just trying to grab up an upgrade.

sifuedition
02-24-2011, 08:40 AM
The only thing you can be sure of is that the piece you buy will drop from BH this week or next.

Couladin
02-25-2011, 12:09 AM
Hehe, probably. I did it different and bought the relic (since there is no upgrade in normal gear content) and the ring. Now hoping the legs and gloves drop soon for me, but they probably don't since I didn't buy them now. :p

Netheras
02-25-2011, 08:50 AM
There is no upgrade anywhere currently for the relic. You'll have that for the rest of the tier =P

Prexie
02-25-2011, 09:39 AM
Since our T11-4p is really, really good you'll want to get it asap. You can cover 3 of the pieces with valor points and get the shoulders from Cho'gall. Daybreaker Helm is the best offset piece, imo.

damoklese
04-23-2011, 03:11 PM
id suggest if your going to drop one of the 5 pieces available that you make it the chest, the gains over the hardened hauberk are trivial, and altho i cant argue that the daybreaker is a bit better than the magmaplated faceguard its the 22pts of strength that swing it into the lead, yes you do get 2 points extra abilities as well.both daybreaker and magma chest buff parry and mastery, both good, but neither are in short supply, where as i find dodge to require more attention to kep it balanced with parry(forceful deflection and all that ) and there is never enuff hit rating and exp to go round.(might not be so important if you use a 2hander)
to my mind having the points in the right places is worth the minor sacrifice when you consider just how much strength you have (what differencce is that 22pts really gunna make)i find myself almost tripping over parry as im upgradign so much so im thinkign of dropping swordbreaker and replacing it with mending so i see little point in stacking even more into it.
As to mastery even with mediocre gear its not hard to get 125% which i actually find a bit excessive, as its got better i seem to have more emergency moments, but i feel thsi is due to me apparently takign no dmg for long periods of time makign the healer complacent and then when i do take some dmg they dont even notice until its a panic (too often i have my lil heal pop warnign me im at 35% health and then watch for 10 seconds b4 any healing is forthcoming)bloodshield is double edged if you have an inattentive/uninterested healer.i found this happened less when i had less bloodshield, i guess seeign a bit of dmg regular keeps them on their toes more. but irrelevant of how it seems to effect healers, you arent short of it so again is a load more as helpful as soilid gain ina dept we are always a bit shorter than we would like to be .

Pacans
04-26-2011, 04:56 AM
1) Recheck Your talents:
My guess Blood-Caked Blade and Crimson Scourge is Your attempt to gain threat but I haven`t got any situation where I would have problems with it. Drop it and take Lichborne + macro:
/cast !lichborne;
/cast [@player] Death Coil

2) Recheck Your Glyphs:
Bone Shield might be good in some situations but I prefer Anti-Magic Shell. It has saved me few times.
Strangulate is pretty useless as it costs runes which most probably will be used on BB or D-rune for Death Strike and interrupted NPC usually is not casting same spell again but running to Highest threat.

3) Gems:
If Your are going for mastery then go for it - Red:Parry+Mastery; Yellow:Mastery; Blue:Mastery+Stamina. As far as I have been raiding there is no boss which strikes for 150k and stacking Stamina is just LK times. Yes You have Jewelcrafting but really its just not it.

4) Reforge:
Neck - Parry -> Dodge
Weapon - Gargoile is LK times. Use Swordshattering. Expertise -> Dodge/Hit
Legs - I would not touch Hit as You have only 1.2% and missing DS 3 times in a row..
Feet - Parry -> Dodge
Finger - Parry -> Dodge
Keep both Parry and Dodge as close as possible.

5) Stats:
Expertise is a bit "overcaped" (for tank, You do not need so much) You could browse some gear, like head, where was mastery is instead of expertise etc.
Hit is a bit under which I would call comfortable. I would aim at least 3% but its on Your own. I do not have it either.
Avoidance - until Blizz will make their mind "fix" Blood Shield (like insc min heal or smth) I am "comfortable" at 30% with HoW as You not always depend on DS+Blood Shield - Example: Omnitrom Defense System where You can not hit boss while he got Barrier on and in such case You depend on healers, CD`s and avoidance.