PDA

View Full Version : Druid HALP for a Squishy Bear?!?

grizlee
02-17-2011, 10:06 AM
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/nesingwary/grizlee/simple is me

I've been bear tanking for about a year now and haven't had a problem (done Naxx, most of Ulduar, ICC up to LK (normal mode 10's)). We tried Halfus last night and I had major survivability issues. I know I've got some room to improve in my gear but am I that far behind the curve? On a related issue, it seems like I was taking critical hits -- I would be at 70% health and then I'd be dead a moment later. Any wisdom from the group?

It was so bad I'm thinking about going to my leveling DK tank as my main :(

Perrian
02-17-2011, 11:13 AM
My question is are you rolling your cooldowns are waiting to stack them?. As I tank I generally have one cooldown running at all time.

Get the Glyph of Frenzied Regeneration... that gives you another effective cooldown as it boosts the the incoming healing...

My gear isn't hugely better than yours and doing the same type of raids (10m) and I generally find tanking as a bear relaxing and fun... no stress unless I miss rolling a cooldown... Now is some fights I'll save cooldown for known damage spikes... DBM and knowing the fight makes pairing these up a life saver.

Katarn
02-17-2011, 12:10 PM
I already answered this on the official forums >.<

Finbarr
02-17-2011, 01:23 PM
Perrian's point about cooldowns is a good one. Make sure you're rolling them and using (especially Barkskin) pretty much on cooldown in order to minimize incoming damage.

Gear-wise some of your stuff isn't quite optimized for bear, but it shouldn't be prohibitive. Run a few Lost Cities and see if you can't replace that agi trinket of yours with Tia's Grace. It's pretty much a constant 340 agi and a great mastery boost, which will really help your survivability. I see you're also missing a couple of enchants. Go ahead and get your therazane rep up for the shoulder enchants, enchant your gloves, and I would consider putting Earthen Vitality or something similar on your boots instead of the straight-up mastery. The stam increase coupled with run speed boost helps a good bit.

You said your trouble was on Halfus: what were you doing exactly? Were you on the boss? Drakes? One drake or two? And which drakes were you releasing? That fight's very healing-intensive off the pull if you're on drake duty, especially if you release two at the start. Given the combo this week, you probably *should* be releasing both Storm and Time from the beginning and getting them down ASAP. The fact that there's so much incoming damage there if you're tanking both drakes at the same time can help explain why you're going down so fast, but also make sure you aren't turning your back on anything either.

If you want to compare glyphs/enchants, here's my armory profile:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/lightninghoof/finbarr/simple

grizlee
02-17-2011, 04:53 PM
Thanks for all the responses. Therazane rep running is my next priority for the shoulder enchant. I paused on reforging everything back into dodge because I had a couple of people question me on doing that but I'll start that back up now on my remaining gear. Won't help survivability too much probably but Heroic running for one of three il346 staffs is on my shopping list two.

As far as the fight specifically (and sorry don't know how to do the post log thing), I was on drakes. First couple of attempts went fairly smoothly and just missed getting him down (too many lost dps). We were releasing storm, burning down, then time and burning down. We tried both drakes at the same time but I just couldn't survive that. I think the fire balls were my biggest damage taken on the last several runs.

Thanks for all the help and I'll start working on the upgrades.

ETA: re cooldowns: yes I try to roll them as much as possible and keep barkskin up every time it pops up.

insanebinn
02-17-2011, 05:21 PM
You should reforge dodge on to every piece of gear you have if possible. Always reforge crit last and never reforge mastery. Reforging for dodge is where bears get a most of there avoidance from so not doing so is just silly. My only other suggestion would be to possibly take out some pure agi gems for agi/stm and dodge/stm gems to up your stm a bit while losing next to no avoidance.

As far as halfus goes, your guild doing it 1 drake at a time will work my guild has done it. The front load dmg (first few minutes) on halfus is just intense for healers. You will have to help them with cooldowns or call for some if needed. Along with this your raid needs to do there best to avoid dmg to.

Tanking 2 drakes at the same time is not going to happen. By this I mean 2 drakes on 1 tank, it is just to much dmg. Now tanking a drake+halfus is definetly doable it just requires cooldowns to do so.

If you can get past the first few minutes of the fight it is a cake walk after that, just make sure you are healed up for roars and a mage blinks to interupt the shadow nova cast and your guild should have him.