PDA

View Full Version : Druid Good Cat DPS guide?

The Hoof
02-16-2011, 09:35 AM
Anyone aware of a solid Cat DPS guide out there? It doesn't look like there's a reader's digest version on EJ, and I'd really rather not dig through pages of forum posts to glean the few things I'm looking for.

Mainly I'm looking for stat priorities and rotation guidance to keep bleeds up, etc.

sifuedition
02-16-2011, 09:59 AM
Keeping bleeds up should be simple as long as you can actually see them. I use PowerAuras and set up an aura for each bleed with a timer. I use the actual icon for the buff (savage roar) or bleed and scale them so they are obvious but not in the way just at my feet. I have FeralByNight which is a nice place to start but find that the better I watch my "auras" the less I actually follow FBN. FBN will frequently suggest a 5 combo point savage roar, etc that may not be optimal. I keep FBN becuase it does tend to be helpful if movement, etc causes me to get off my rotation it can help pick up a "rotation" in the middle. It also helps to remind me when Berserk is off cd again as it will recommend it.

As to stats, I have had some issues finding the info. It is there, but you are correct that it tends to be buried in a huge forum thread, etc. Also, I am finding that the info is often contradictory. Some advocate as much mastery as you can get. Others haste. Still others crit.

I believe the biggest issue is the jury is still out. The math for kitty seems to be extremely complicated and it is compounded by the fact that the stats all affect each other. If you stack, say haste as a random example, it makes mastery even better so mastery starts looking the best. However, if you didn't stack some haste to begin with and got mastery, then haste is looking like the best stat, etc.

The approach I have been using is to stack whatever feels "lacking". I stack as much agil as I can always. From there, if combo points seem to be my issue, get some crit. If energy is my issue, get some haste. If both feel comfortable, get some mastery.

At the moment, I am working on some haste as I tend to have the combo points to do what I want but feel like I am always waiting to use the combo points I have.

Ozonekiller
02-16-2011, 11:43 AM
Here is one: http://fluiddruid.net/the-fluid-druid-4-0-1-cataclysm-feral-dps-guide/

Tschus
02-16-2011, 01:11 PM
This one worth a look too:
http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/775527-The-Cat-Guide-Cataclysm-Edition

The Hoof
02-16-2011, 01:47 PM
Here is one: http://fluiddruid.net/the-fluid-druid-4-0-1-cataclysm-feral-dps-guide/

Thanks Ozone.

Q: Why are feral druids so awesome?
A: It’s the fur.

LOL.

I agree sifu on the bleeds, I was a little fuzzy (no pun intended) on what the priorities were, and if you really wanted to wait for 5pt combos or if keeping the buffs up was a greater priority. Just wanted to try and get at least pointed in the right direction instead of having to unlearn bad habits. Appreciate the feedback guys.

Predakhan
02-17-2011, 02:59 PM
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2089200852

This is the best I have found on the net by far.

Predakhan
02-17-2011, 03:01 PM
Keeping bleeds up should be simple as long as you can actually see them. I use PowerAuras and set up an aura for each bleed with a timer. I use the actual icon for the buff (savage roar) or bleed and scale them so they are obvious but not in the way just at my feet. I have FeralByNight which is a nice place to start but find that the better I watch my "auras" the less I actually follow FBN. FBN will frequently suggest a 5 combo point savage roar, etc that may not be optimal. I keep FBN becuase it does tend to be helpful if movement, etc causes me to get off my rotation it can help pick up a "rotation" in the middle. It also helps to remind me when Berserk is off cd again as it will recommend it.

As to stats, I have had some issues finding the info. It is there, but you are correct that it tends to be buried in a huge forum thread, etc. Also, I am finding that the info is often contradictory. Some advocate as much mastery as you can get. Others haste. Still others crit.

I believe the biggest issue is the jury is still out. The math for kitty seems to be extremely complicated and it is compounded by the fact that the stats all affect each other. If you stack, say haste as a random example, it makes mastery even better so mastery starts looking the best. However, if you didn't stack some haste to begin with and got mastery, then haste is looking like the best stat, etc.

The approach I have been using is to stack whatever feels "lacking". I stack as much agil as I can always. From there, if combo points seem to be my issue, get some crit. If energy is my issue, get some haste. If both feel comfortable, get some mastery.

At the moment, I am working on some haste as I tend to have the combo points to do what I want but feel like I am always waiting to use the combo points I have.

The best secondary stat is mastery. The math has been done. The only question is depending on gear level if haste is better than crit.

sifuedition
02-18-2011, 06:20 AM
@Pred thanks, I will re-assess my gearing looking at the mastery.

As to the priority, you really pnly want 5cp rips. Rake should be easy to keep up as you are building cps. Try to ensure you always have savage roar up when you apply your bleeds. If you end up in the situation where you finally have 5 cps for rip but sr just dropped, sr will be the priority. One of the big tricks to kitty is learning to recognize when this is GOING to happen so you can do a two or three cp sr and avoid it. I haven't found an addon that can accurately predict this so that is why many of them are a nice starting point but you need to learn how to tell when they are wrong.

My kitty is an alt so someone correct me if I mis-remeber the priorities:

1. Savage roar
2. Berserk (learning timing for this is huge too)
3. Tigers fury
4. Rip
5. Rake

Beornling
02-20-2011, 11:48 PM
mmm usefull stuff ty

uglie
02-21-2011, 05:19 PM
1. Keep mangle up (improves bleed dmg)
2. 5cp rip applied using tiger's fury
3. rake
4. Savage roar up (especially important if you have a lot of time to just sit on boss since SR increase auto-attack dmg)(if little auto-attack up time on boss, 5cp FB instead of SR between re-applying rip can and usually will be a larger dps increase
5. 5cp Ferocious bite if there will be enough time to get 5cp again before or as rip is running out
6. time berserk so that it is not used during bloodlust

Predakhan
02-22-2011, 01:55 PM
@Pred thanks, I will re-assess my gearing looking at the mastery.

As to the priority, you really pnly want 5cp rips. Rake should be easy to keep up as you are building cps. Try to ensure you always have savage roar up when you apply your bleeds. If you end up in the situation where you finally have 5 cps for rip but sr just dropped, sr will be the priority. One of the big tricks to kitty is learning to recognize when this is GOING to happen so you can do a two or three cp sr and avoid it. I haven't found an addon that can accurately predict this so that is why many of them are a nice starting point but you need to learn how to tell when they are wrong.

My kitty is an alt so someone correct me if I mis-remeber the priorities:

1. Savage roar
2. Berserk (learning timing for this is huge too)
3. Tigers fury
4. Rip
5. Rake

They stopped savage roar from buffing all attacks to only white damage so it is less of a priority now. Rip>SR every time if both are going fall off around the same time. With the new shift in less damage to bleeds and more direct damage they basically made the "rotation" even easier/boring. It is just not worth the risk to use FB at all unless the target is less than 25% hp. I find myself constantly sitting on 5 combo points with nothing to do but shred excess energy.

Really disappointed with the direction they have taken ferals. Before we had the potential for really good single target dps is we could master the John Madden priority system. Now they have stripped it away to be boring and our dps is suffering as well.

I find my warlock alt "harder" to play than my feral now which sucks.

sifuedition
02-22-2011, 02:49 PM
This....is a sad day. I hadn't realized the change to SR.

I had been keeping to my old rotation. I wonder if my dps would go up by changing? Hmmm.