PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Halfus 10man blood dk

Feelfree
02-15-2011, 01:53 PM
Hello everyone. I wanted to ask some advice on Halfus Wyrmbreaker 10man. I use a death knight blood with a high gear but despite this I and my team have problems with this boss. The biggest problem is on the stack of the debuff. Having less evasive action as war or pally (not having the shield) I get about 2 stacks every 3 strokes. So I find myself in a few seconds around a 7-8 stack, and if risk is more, since the death knight based on the absorption and selfheal I have big problems.
What do you recommend?

sifuedition
02-15-2011, 02:12 PM
Is this in combinationwith the Nether Scion? If so, this is normal for all tanks and requires frequent tank swaps or other strat. If this is not with the nether scion, what is your current avoidance and how do you use your CDs and blood strike?

Halfus is a front loaded fight. It actually gets easier the longer it goes. Therefore, heroism/bloodlust, tank CDs and healer CDs should typically be used early in the fight and probably rotated. Beyond that, an armory link would help.

Feelfree
02-15-2011, 02:20 PM
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/veknilash/feelfree/simple

combination was storm, time and slate. we had incredible problems.
we do it when was storm + whelps with pulling whelps +storm and boss and many aoe. but with that combination with wipe after 2 or 3 swap of tank

btw on raids i use ds and hs always i can with sometimes use blood boil for bring less dmg. i had problems with trinkets and cds.

sifuedition
02-15-2011, 03:53 PM
Haven't gotten home from work yet so I haven't seen your armory yet.

As long as I am not mixing them up, you had shadownova, mortal strike and aoe flame. With the pull you mentioned, the mortal strike is an enforced issue. The aoe due to the whelps means you will need to release them. The knockback from shadownova means you will also have to release him. Did you try releasing both of those at the same time?

You will need a good interrupter on Halfus at all times. The whelps are not extrme damage and are not a priority after they are released. Once the shadownova drake is down, the whelps will probably be nearly dead. Release the mortal strike drake about then. From there, it depends on your raid. For some groups, burning the last drake for another 50% dps buff works and others release and ignore the last drake to burn Halfus.

P.S. I will probably have to completely change this post. Just re-read you comment and pretty sure I misunderstood the first time.

Smartass
02-15-2011, 08:24 PM
Actually we ussually have more avoidance than the other classes, it shoudlnt be an issue, also remember nether scion gives 100% atk speed so MS + atk speed, you're supposed to stack the debuff fairly quickly. On this particular fight the way I do it is releasing 2 of the drakes (or whelps) at the same time and tank swap halfus ussually at 7-9 stacks of the debuff, just make sure you chain your cds specially RDW and on use avoidance trinkets on your turn to tank halfus, once your raid kills the drakes, this fight becomes a walk down the beach.

Your armory link isnt working, so cant really check it out

But yeah, dont be afraid to use your cds early, since the encounter gets easier towards the end

Feelfree
02-16-2011, 03:35 AM
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/veknilash/feelfree/simple this is the link of my character

perhaps I have not explained well. when we had storm + whelps we pulled down without any problems. But with the combination storm, and slate time we had big problems. We tried freeing up time and storm at the same time with the boss but it was hard to take them both in the swap. We then tried to clear the storm but to be honest when I was about 7-8 stack swap did great effort to stay up with that I tanked the dragon. any suggestions?

Katzazi
02-16-2011, 04:39 AM
We were lazy and just reset the stacks at 15 on one tank. Paladin melee bubble does that for you, as does dying and using a soul stone. If you do it far enough away from each other you should be able to taunt Halfus back before it reaches anybody else.

Feelfree
02-16-2011, 05:11 AM
which is the bubble the u talking about? by the way at 9 stack we had a lot problem on heals! i really lack of it

Katzazi
02-16-2011, 05:22 AM
It's the one you can give to other people. I always mix up the names of the paladin stuff. But your paladins should know what I mean. However it clears all your threat and you have to cancleaura it to be able to hit the boss again. It's best to write a cancleaura makro for it (and mybe include taunt Halfus to it). You should stack the debuff high when you want to do this strategy, because you want to cover as much time as possible without a tank switch. Save your CDs for those higher stacks. And use bloodlust to burn the adds down. As soon as the attack-speed dragon (or the hit dragon) are down, Halfus should be easy to tank without getting much stacks.

But as I said: This strategy is just something to be more lazy about tank swaps and to releave some pressure from the healers. You have to learn the other one eventually. But maybe you can just wait until everybody has better gear.

Brage
02-16-2011, 07:00 AM
You're refering to Hand of Protection (commonly refered to as HoP) and yes, if you have a paladin in your raid, it is definately a good way of handling the first set of debuffs.

If you don't have that option, your best bet is to switch tanks on Halfus every 6-7 debuffs; it may seem abit early, but your OT needs to survive tanking the drakes aswell, so having him on alot of debuffs won't do you any good.
Once the slate dragon is free and Halfus get's periodically stunned, you should be able to solo tank him.

Madoxx
02-21-2011, 11:47 AM
The way we do this combo is Druid me tanks Halfus while warrior takes time first nuke him , he dies hunter at this stage releases storm and MDs to warrior paladin HOP me i stay on Halfus then we start on storm . At 8 stacks we switch me unto storm and warrior unto halfus at this stage storm is pretty much dead and then we just keep tank switching ever 8 stacks and that is the fight pretty easy tank halfus at the cage were the whelps are that way both tanks are close to each other so there is no delay in switching . Hope this helps .

Dyzphazia
03-05-2011, 04:18 AM
You're refering to Hand of Protection (commonly refered to as HoP) and yes, if you have a paladin in your raid, it is definately a good way of handling the first set of debuffs.

This is the method we use. Just remember to use:

/cancelaura Hand Of Protection

Else you cant do much til HoP wears off, and it resets your aggro, so i use the macro :P

/cancelaura Hand Of Protection
/Cast Dark Command

We have no issues on Halfus... We use the HoP when i reach around 13 stacks. So remember to spam your macro whenever you have however many stacks you tell your Paladin to cast HoP at.

This way the tanks do not have to switch until the first drake/add is down :)