PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Raiding ready? And how not to over agro

Zee786
02-14-2011, 04:27 PM
Hi I just started raiding today and did BH 10 we wiped once but got it the second time. The avoid wipes bit is because the on the first try I overagro'ed the other tank with auto attacks only (no heart strike rune strike or death strikes were used) and wanted to know how I can avoid this bar moving out off range.
I would also appreciate any comments on my gear so far there are some enchants missing.
Thanks for any help
My armoury link is :eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/scarshield-legion/coredeath/simple

Zee

Forsaken_Wartank
02-14-2011, 05:18 PM
count to 3-4 before moving into range?

Zee786
02-14-2011, 05:47 PM
Just to clarify I don't mean on the pull I mean after my meteor strike (or slice what ever it's called). So example my group just soaked the meteor strike he then taunts I stop using abilities and just auto attack and still pull agro off other tank.

Vigilant
02-14-2011, 06:03 PM
I would have a word with your other tank, rather than worrying too much about what you're doing. You having to run around in circles chasing butterflies isn't doing anyone any good, when he ought to be able to hold aggro off you just fine after the taunt.

When I run BH10, I just my regular rotation while I'm tanking the boss, and then do an abbreviated rotation after the other tank has taunted off of me. This works out perfectly fine, and should in most scenarios, where the tanks are relatively equally geared.

The other tank should be perfectly capable of putting up a quick burst of threat after taunting to glue the boss on him, and then resume a normal rotation.

Smartass
02-14-2011, 06:34 PM
click anywhere where there's nothing and then click the boss again and watch omen, let get a good lead on threat. Basically what this does is stop attacking completely not even auto attacks.

Ok this can happen in many scenarios.. one is probably in a pug where the other tank is just not as geared as you and has less TPS, doing what I said above its probably the only thing you can do.

This ALSO happens outside pug groups, it can happen on your normal guild raids with another tank that is just as geared as you are.

The reason this happens on bosses like argaloth is that while you were tanking you were probably stacking a huge amount of vengeance which gives your auto attacks enough power to outthreat your other tank, keep this in mind, its not always just gonna be the other tank just being bad or undergeared its just a matter of boss uptime.. so just stop attacking till he gets some threat and some vengeance and then start attacking again.

I'm in a high end raiding guild and this happens on fights like Chimaeron, Cho'gall.. and you just have to deal with it, watch omen, auto attack for a while then continue your rotation..

But yes, in some cases you'll have bad tanks and all you can do is playing smart to compensate for the other guy's mistakes

Dedic
02-14-2011, 07:18 PM
While I do agree with the post that says if you can pull threat with auto attacks then the tank was doing something wrong (and it IS the tank's responsibility to the group to hold agro), it's also your responsibility *to the group* to watch omen and manage your threat. If you have a tank who can't hold agro, the responsibility falls to you, since you can't swap out a tank mid-fight. There's plenty of time for blaming after the wipe, but during the fight, try to adjust. In that situation, just hit escape and then tab, then when omen says the tank has good agro, go back to your rotation.

That being said, BH is a DPS race, so you will probably wipe if he does that more than once. Maybe he made a mistake, maybe he's a doofus. Either way, do your best to adapt so you can maximize your chance of success, then if it doesn't work out, it is obvious who the problem is and you can swap them out.

Edit: I didn't see you were the other tank before posting. If you're the other tank then your DPS should not matter too much. In tank-swapping, you definitely want to stop attacking completely until he has good agro. Vengeance is powerful and he needs time to get it stacked but you already have it in full -- as stated in a post I should have read before posting myself.

Smartass
02-14-2011, 08:57 PM
Saw your armory, I'm just gonna say dont stack stamina, once you hit a decent amount of it dont worry about it anymore, that means dont gem exclusively for it. Some fights like Heroic Halfus might require you to have ridiculous amounts of hp, but thats a special case

for raiding I like to get over 150k hp unbuffed, and I gem, reforge and gear towards avoidance, this might be controversial because some ppl favor mastery, I myself dont like "stacking" mastery, I just try to keep a healthy amount of it which means pretty much dont gem for it or reforge it into anything else.

You're not hit/exp capped, and while its not as important as other stats its good to have a decent amount of, you wont even be able to be hit/exp capped till you get quite a few number of epics and even then you'll be sacrificing some stats to get it so dont bother for the time being. Since theres no passive haste after a parry anymore hit>exp.. I like being hit capped bcuz the rogue in my raid is retarded and I dont trust him at all for anything.

Talent-wise id lose a point in virulence and another in epidemic and get 2 in improved blood tap, and gylphs, I'd lose death and decay and get death strike.. major glyph I prefer vampiric blood cuz that 15% really shows

Zee786
02-15-2011, 04:06 AM
Hi
thanks for the encouraging words and the criticisms.
I don't really like gemming the pure parry or dodge I prefer the hybrid gems and I plan on replacing the pure stam gems. I to prefere avoidance over mastery however I I'm trying to keep a balance of it. In terms of my spec I am changing that as we speak and lastly my glyphs, I do prefer the d&d glyph in 5mans however in raids so far it has proven troublesome as it has almost caused a wipe, I'm not 100% sure about vampyric blood but will try it.
Thanks again.
Zee

Prexie
02-16-2011, 12:37 PM
You're at full vengeance while the fresh tank is not. Hit escape and voila.

Argaloth is also one-tankable, but that's another thing altogether.

Zee786
02-16-2011, 06:02 PM
Hi all thanks for the advice about esc I had forgotten that it would stop me from auto attacking. I also think that blame isn't the right way to go especially because he was actually a good tank with roughly the same sort of gear but the vengeance was the issue as all of u have said thanks again.