PDA

View Full Version : Tanking People saying my threat gen is terrible. HELP!

vizionblind
02-12-2011, 10:29 PM
Trying to tank heroics but everyone says my threat gen is terrible. please help me on what to do!

my gear: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/emerald-dream/tristayne/advanced

Sillygoose
02-13-2011, 12:09 AM
No one can really tell you what to do unless you give some information about what you're already doing.

vizionblind
02-13-2011, 12:49 PM
well surely you can see if my gear has correct stats etc, no?

Perrian
02-13-2011, 02:06 PM
Gear is rarely the cause of poor threat generation it's almost always attack rotation related..... If you can do a combat log for us and upload it to wow meter online or world of logs. From there we will be able to tell you exactly what's wrong

klausi
02-13-2011, 03:55 PM
There's not even an Argaloth kill so i assume you're talking about heroics? Mark a mob with skull, use sufficient rage on cleave and keep rend ticking via blood and thunder spread. Shockwave, revenge and shield slam on cooldown and that's more or less about it.

If you can't hold aggro they must be aoe'ing hard or outgearing you.

cptwafflez
02-13-2011, 08:14 PM
And that's why you have taunts.

Atrosity
02-14-2011, 08:56 AM
Hmm, well as people ssaid, without proper log/situations in which you're losing agro we can't really help. However, looking at your armoy I see you have 0 expertise, that could be a problem but more than likely it's a rotation thing. More info and being specific would be awesome though for more in depth help

Selene
02-14-2011, 02:22 PM
It is gonna be mainly a Rotation issue, with current content Warrior and Paladin Tanks don't need hit or expertise.

But something that will help (not for threat though) is get some professions and max them out.
BS/JC offer the most flexibility but are also probably the two most expensive to get up.
Mining/BS or Mining/JC are a good combo since the mining will get the mats for the other.

Squirrelnut
02-14-2011, 02:45 PM
As others mentioned it is difficult to tell you much since we don't know what you are doing now but here is some info I provided to someone else that I would expect is the same issue for you:

Gear upgrades, better enchants, better gems are always nice but 99% of the time good threat is a timing/ability use problem much more then anything else. Make sure to throw Vigilance on the other tank in a raid setting to improve vengence stacking or on the highest DPS in a 5m in case they pull aggro so that your taunt is instantly refreshed.

As a Prot Warrior it is really important to use charge to effectively begin attacking prior to anyone else & start with a burst of rage available. There is a fine line between leading out for good threat gain on mobs versus not going so far you surprise / out-range your healer. Make sure everything is keybound and I usually use something like the following:

Single Target: Heroic throw -> Charge ->
Shield Slam > Revenge > Shockwave > Conc Blow > Rend if expired > Devastate and always use Heroic Strike if 50+ rage

Multiple Target: Heroic throw one target -> Charge a diff target -> Thunderclap -> Position & Shockwave -> Rend
Thunderclap to spread rend or if rend falling off > Shockwave > Revenge > Tab target normal ability use while using Cleave whenever 50+ rage instead of HS

The other main thing for tanks is to setup their UI well and use an addon such as Aloft so that they can easily see/target mobs as well as see based on nameplate color the mob status: solid threat, losing threat, attacking someone else
This allows liberal use of taunts if required and also lets him know what he needs to focus on. Obviously good ability use prevents the need for taunting but there is no reason to not use it if a mob ever starts to head after someone they shouldn't.

Proactive cooldown use such shield block should be used on cooldown to increase Shield Slam damage as well as other cooldowns such as Blood Fury for orcs and defensive cooldowns to prevent spike damage intake when charging ahead to build initial threat before other people start. It is a million times easier to keep threat then to pull it off of other people.

Practice makes perfect, chain heroic 5m's and see how fast you can pull and maintain good aggro while not ooming your healer.