PDA

View Full Version : PST - Episode 16

Lore
02-11-2011, 08:10 PM
RlpZ4F-JOR8

This week:

Why do guilds ask for parses when applying?
How can I ease into a new patch without feeling overwhelmed?
What do you think about Shadow Priests rolling on Spirit gear?
Does dealing with procs in your rotation make raiding too difficult?
and more!

Follow me on Twitter (http://www.twitter.com/devolore) or Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/devolore)!

Prinz
02-11-2011, 09:09 PM
Arcane Shot doesn't have a CD anymore :)

Actually that gives me an idea for a question. Is it too early to send in a question?

Derotide
02-11-2011, 09:52 PM
New show!

Krenian
02-11-2011, 10:07 PM
Awesome. Yeah, I kinda made things a lil bit more complicated but I should have simplified the question. But you actually added an interesting twist to my question that I hadn't thought about.

Nicolin
02-12-2011, 01:37 AM
totally understand you like rift lore got in to beta last time my self and its interesting will be nice to have an alternative to wow witch is my only mmo previously would it be stalking if i asked what shard you play on during beta ?
been on illumination my self having fun watching you jasmine and gary on gamebreaker and fony on bff do the rifting stuff any chance we can get you to do a show just for rift questions ?

Chaoslux
02-12-2011, 01:57 AM
"If there's a piece with spirit gear, then we'll try to get it out to the healers before the dps, for shadow priests, boomkins and ele shammies"

Caster Leather: http://www.wowhead.com/items=4.2?filter=minle=359;cr=23:24:12:79;crs=1:3: 2:3;crv=0:0:0:0

Caster Mail: http://www.wowhead.com/items=4.3?filter=minle=359;cr=23:24:12:79;crs=1:3: 2:3;crv=0:0:0:0

Poor DPSers, they dont have many choices until healers are getting geared up don't they? ;)

Lilmissy4205
02-12-2011, 02:50 AM
I'm proud of you, Lore. You said my name right.

Now to get more geared for raids before getting a combat log. ;>>

Nattravn
02-12-2011, 03:45 AM
Speaking of procs. As an ele shaman I use an addon that tells me what spell i should use next. I am fairly famailiar with the rotation so 70% of the time I ignore it, but whenever lava burst cd is reset it will suggest lb and thus I know it procced.

Lore
02-12-2011, 04:19 AM
"If there's a piece with spirit gear, then we'll try to get it out to the healers before the dps, for shadow priests, boomkins and ele shammies"

Caster Leather: http://www.wowhead.com/items=4.2?filter=minle=359;cr=23:24:12:79;crs=1:3: 2:3;crv=0:0:0:0

Caster Mail: http://www.wowhead.com/items=4.3?filter=minle=359;cr=23:24:12:79;crs=1:3: 2:3;crv=0:0:0:0

Poor DPSers, they dont have many choices until healers are getting geared up don't they? ;)

I was referring to rings and neckpieces ;)

Taz030485
02-12-2011, 07:58 AM
When looking at cloth gear you get the following breakdown
Hit - Lock, Mage, Spriest
Spirit - All 3 priest specs

So Spriests get the better deal here.

I say left them roll on spirit gear, they could also use it for a heals offspec.

I'm not biased because I play and mage and want less competition for gear, right? :P

Savante
02-12-2011, 08:54 PM
lore I think you are pretty wrong about spirit gear thing. Having lots of cloth users competing over hit items is pretty bad. I believe thats why blizzard implemented this spirit->hit thing to spread out the gear competition. I would never prefer a hit item instead of spirit item if I played a shadow priest since spirit can be used for offspec too.

so by your logic loot distribution is divided like this:
Hit items: Lock, Mage, Shadow Priest
Spirit items: HealerPriest

where it should be:
hit items: Lock, Mage
Spirit items: ShadowPri and HealerPri

I would personally get pissed at shadowpri rolling on hit gear if I played a mage. I just see what blizzard tried to do with spirit->hit conversion. But I doubt you saw that.

Kuroryuu
02-12-2011, 10:33 PM
push button, receive bacon. rofl

ZacholasED
02-13-2011, 12:27 AM
Just commenting on raid leading and deciding who is ready or not... I am a Co-raid leader and between me and my GM we decide who is ready for raiding. How we do this is we run Wrath raids to see who can follow mechanics and who cannot. We did this and then we went and took down magmaw and got our parasite evening achievement. However we did not have any Uber DPS, many people would be deemed undergeared by hardcore high-end rading guild.. we had 2 healers pulling 5.6k Hps and one pulling 8.4k Hps so we didnt have an exceptionally geared comp.

HOWEVER, everybody in the raid was able to follow mechanics to the letter. and that is why we were successful

Carighan
02-13-2011, 05:24 AM
As far as "good" configurations for cooldown-monitors go, I can add these:

Raidleader / Raidofficer
All ressurects. Rebirth, Soulstone, Reincarnation.
Tranquility, since it is often called for top-down to top the raid back up. Some may want to add Divine Hymn for similar reasons.

Healer with Mitigation-CDs
All other mitigation-CDs on tanks or healers. As a Disc Priest you want to know whether the Holy Priest has Guardian Spirit up so you can call on him to build a chain of CDs if need be.

Healer with Manaregeneration-CDs
Innervate
Mana Tide Totem
Hymn of Hope

Knighterrant81
02-13-2011, 07:12 AM
As Shadow a lot of my BIS gear is spirit gear. Half our *Shadow* tier pieces have Spirit. As a Human, I actually get slightly *more* hit from Spirit than from regular hit. Our warlock has to do a fair amount of reforging for hit to get to his cap. There's just a lot of cloth in raids right now that have spirit, and not nearly as much cloth with +hit. (In fact, there are 6 ilvl 359 cloth pieces that have hit on them, including rep rewards and crafted gear and only one of them - a rep reward - is any good for Shadow). It allows us to build a raid worthy offset quickly, similar to how Moonkin and Ele can do so. Also, it reduces the strain on Mages and Warlocks for hit gear, and decreases the chance that Spirit gear will get sharded once the healing priests are geared. The question we always ask is "are you going to use that piece for your main spec?" If the Shadow Priest wins the roll and the answer is yes, why not give him the gear? Unless you are doing loot council and your healing priest is more in need of that specific upgrade, a Spirit piece is just as usable for Shadow as it is for a Holy or Disc Priest. Lore, you say that there's always a +hit option, so it would be better to just give Spirit gear to a healer. There just isn't!

Ask your healers if they'd roll on a piece of gear *without* Spirit. Most likely, the answer is yes, even if its a Holy Priest, which is arguably the healing spec that gets the most out of Spirit. If it is fair to allow a healer to roll on "DPS" gear that has no Spirit, isn't it fair to have a Shadow Priest roll on "Healing" gear that has Spirit on it? How about Bears? Is it fair to let a DPS like a Rogue roll on Agility leather or Agility rings and necks that "obviously" should go to bears first because Bears want Agility too?

If a piece of gear is going to be used for a main spec, it is perfectly fine to roll on it.

And yes, Spirit proc trinkets are dumb for Shadow. Give those to healers.

rchrdwell
02-13-2011, 07:20 AM
I rather liked the length of the video. listened to it in the backround while doing my heroic daily. you should have this length -- assuming you have substance -- every video. =)

Morrowloch
02-13-2011, 01:30 PM

Thanks for all the great videos, Lore. I want to add to the above poster that as an Elemental Shaman, I need to roll on Spirit gear to be hitcapped. There is no mail elemental hit gear in the game:

http://www.wowhead.com/items=4.3?filter=qu=4;minrl=85;ub=7;cr=119:23;crs= 1:1;crv=0:0

If we want hit, we need to roll on spirit mail. Since we need hitcap to raid, we must have similar priority to healers on spirit gear.

Quinafoi
02-13-2011, 02:32 PM
Loot will always be a cause of drama regardless. I won't comment on what people should or shouldn't do, that's a decision for their own raid.

There is a fundamental design behind Elemental Shaman, Balance Druid, and Shadow Priest that actually persists accross all three of them. All three of them want Spirit instead of Hit. The reason behind that is the gear overlap between specs is designed such that basically any piece of gear appropriate for their DPS spec is also appropriate for their healing spec (provided they have one). These DPS specs aren't looking at a piece of gear necessarily as an upgrade to one spec, but as an upgrade to both their specs.

If I have the choice between a Spirit/Haste ring, and a Hit/Haste ring (functionally identical for the DPS role) I would always choose the Spirit/Haste one because it would allow for that item to also be usable in a second spec. Likewise, if the healer had a caster DPS off spec, it would also be an upgrade for both specs.

Blizzard's itemization design is such that these three DPS caster specs are designed to directly compete with their healers for the same item. I believe this was their intent. Priests compete with Priests. Druids compete with Druids. Shaman compete with Shaman. This homogenization of gear also allowed for them to greatly reduce the amount of items they were creating, they no longer needed Hit caster Leather or Mail.

If an item has neither Hit or Spirit on it... how do you prioritize it?

Healers can use Crit/Haste gear. So can DPS.

This is no different when talking about Spirit gear from those roles which have healing off specs. Spirit gear is designed by Blizzard for these classes. Allow me to point out how Blizzard designs things...

http://www.wowhead.com/itemset=936
The Shadow Priest set has 0 Hit rating on it (and we already discussed that Cloth is the only gear that can have Intellect/Hit). Why is that? Because then the Shadow Priest can heal in those same pieces granted they won't benefit from the set bonuses, but stat wise the items are equivalent to other non-set items of the same level.

Now if you have a Shadow Priest, Balance Druid or Elemental Shaman who's off spec is not a healing spec... by all means restrict them to the Hit gear for Cloak, Rings, Neck, ect. Because in that case they would never be healing anyway.

Quinafoi
02-13-2011, 02:41 PM
I'm sorry, but when Blizzard puts 0 Hit Rating on your set, they are telling you something right there. They themselves understand that they made Spirit the desired stat for people playing that spec, and they itemized accordingly.

desolation0
02-14-2011, 11:37 AM
I would personally get pissed at shadowpriest rolling on hit gear if I played a mage. I just see what blizzard tried to do with spirit->hit conversion. But I doubt you saw that.

Woe is me. Either I take the hit piece and lose my Mage/Lock buddies, or I roll on that spirit piece and wonder how I died to that spell that everyone else got healed through. Generally, I think the raid is slightly better off if the Shadow Priests double dip into both for their cloth gear. That way they aren't taking as much from either group. That said, hopefully your Spriests are wise enough to not need on stuff that's BiS for the other folks when it would be a scant upgrade for themselves.

As far as rings, cloaks and such the breakdown for usability is a bit different. So yeah, might put a slight priority on the healers, unless you know your Chicken, Ele, or Shadow plays double duty. That said, there aren't too many options for Hit or Spirit in the universal items at the moment, so it's not particularly likely to come up as an issue.

For the Trinkets/Jewelery/Capes
Hit - Chicken, Ele, Shadow, Mage, Lock
Spirit - Chicken, Tree, Ele, Chainhealer, Shadow, Healy Priest, Holy Pally

Ion
02-14-2011, 12:23 PM
There's one hit/int ring in the game (Signet of High Arcanist Savor), no hit/int necks and no hit/int cloaks. In terms of spirit/hit trinkets there's only Mandala of Stirring Patterns vs Stump of Time for casters. Jar of Ancient Remedies only procs off of heals.

The argument is spurious. The ONLY argument is for cloth non-set pieces. And since priests are the ONLY cloth wearers who use spirit EVER...it's not much of an argument.

Quinafoi
02-14-2011, 12:32 PM
You actually missed some possible items. For example, Rings from Conclave of Wind have a random enchantment on them so could include Intellect/Hit (of the Flameblaze, of the Wildfire).
http://www.wowpedia.org/Item_suffix

But yes, for the most part there aren't very many items, and that is the general theme. Blizzard wanted to not need as many items in the first place hence why they went the path of homgenizing gear.

Blizzard wants Shadow Priests, Elemental Shaman, and Balance Druids to go for Spirit gear in order to reach their hit cap. If Blizzard did not want this, then why would they have Spirit on their set pieces, the pieces directly designed for that specific spec.

The goal is...
Shadow Priests compete with Holy/Discipline Priests.
Balance Druids compete with Restoration Druids.
Elemental Shamen compete with Restoration Shamen.

That is what I believe is their design intention.