PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Prot Warrior HP pool and avoidances.

Hypnotroll
02-11-2011, 04:34 PM
Howdy all,

My question is at what point would it be a good idea to drop some of the hybrid gems (Avoidance/Stam) and maybe just focus on pure avoidance (subtle amberjewels- 40 dodge/ Flashing inferno rubies - 40 parry). Is there perhaps a kind of hard minimum HP/ Mastery that tanks have found?

Right now I MT a 10 man raiding guild. We're currently 8/12 and in regards to my HP, mastery and avoidances- I am not a very spiky tank. So I feel pretty confident in my current stat distribution. However in an attempt to improve my performance I come to you all.

Just swapped a chest but my current stats are:
I am currently running about 156.5k unbuffed Hit Point Pool.
11.94% dodge
12.72% parry
47.34% block
17.93 Mastery
(edit- just reforged but i think 12 Expertise)

For the most part blue sockets are Solid gems, Reds are Defender's Demonseyes which are 20 parry/ 30 stam, greens are Puissant Dream emeralds which are i think 20 mastery/ 30 stam.

I'm curious as to a good level of mastery- where maybe I can relax on pumping the stat.

Thank you for reading,

Bigbad
02-11-2011, 05:00 PM
I would go with blue sockets: mastery/stam yellow sockets:mastery red sockets: parry/mastery.
Parry around 2-3% higher then dodge for hold the line & windwalk enchant. Amount of stamina is more a personal opinion but i think 150k hp should be enough specially for 10mans, but some encounters require more EH as others.

Slightly more balanced stats:
150k hp
11% dodge
14% parry
50% block

Minimum hp really depends on the content you're doing for hardmodes 160k hp unbuffed might be better for example just take enough stam so you're confident your healers can counter spike damage. After that the more mastery the better and keep parry a bit higher.

This is what i've done: Armory (http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/wildhammer/bigbadorugly/)

Hypnotroll
02-12-2011, 12:03 PM
Ah okay,

Thanks for the advice ^_^ That makes sense. Only thing I'm concerned about with a 3% gap between dodge/ parry is the DRs on Parry if Windwalk doesn't proc too often. Going to take a look at it on a dummy though and see how often it procs. Currently i have just been keeping my parry about 1% ahead.

Reev
02-12-2011, 01:05 PM
Protect warriors continue to benefit from parry even with slightly higher DRs than dodge due to hold the line. I believe Koji did the math and it placed the break point somewhere between 3 and 4 percent iirc.

Hypnotroll
02-12-2011, 01:57 PM
cool cool thanks for the advice. I made some adjustments- gonna give them a try at tonight's raid.

carigan
02-12-2011, 06:04 PM
I have a question what is the lowest hit and exspertise you can have as warrior tank for 10 man raids.

Reev
02-12-2011, 06:21 PM
I have a question what is the lowest hit and exspertise you can have as warrior tank for 10 man raids.

0%

carigan
02-12-2011, 07:37 PM
LOL ok what is the lowest you can have and still be productive tank lol

Bigbad
02-13-2011, 02:36 AM
I'm currently raiding with 0,74% hit and 1 expertise. Works fine if you have at least 1 md or tricks. Only reason you would want hit as tank in 10mans is if you're on interrupt duty. Only for twilight ascendant council the extra dps from threatstats could be valuable in p3.

Reev
02-13-2011, 09:02 AM

0%

klausi
02-13-2011, 01:24 PM
It's not like you're missing everything. You're missing ~ 20% of your styles with 0 exp/hit and thanks to vengeance beside the pull that doesn't really matter at all.

Scotteq
02-13-2011, 01:43 PM

0%

If you have Interrupt~duty as a Tank - which is highly likely for a Warrior in a 10 man - then you shouldn't ignore your Melee stats. If that's the case, then you'll definitely want to keep some +Hit gear in your bags. Same with +Stam and +Avoidance trinkets.

The nice thing about the current iteration of the game, is we no longer have to worry about being Defense capped, since we're crit~immune from talents. But there are still other reasons to carry extra gear...

kixaxs
02-15-2011, 04:21 AM
Hi

My char: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/malygos/kixaxs/advanced

As you can tell I've gemmed and reforged quite a bit for hit and expertise. From what I'm reading above, and what one of our guild's other tanks has said, you can make do with fairly low expertise and hit. My current expertise is 18 and hit is 5%.

My question comes in - I don't have issues holding threat once established, but getting a good threat lead on pull is sometimes difficult for me. Won't a reduction in hit and expertise increase that difficulty and possibly start causing threat generation issues?

klausi
02-15-2011, 04:25 AM
How do you get that threat lead which increases over time? It's all thanks to vengeance, not hit nor expertise. Missing roughly 20% of your attacks really only hurts on pull. Trading thousand and more of valueable rating just for those first 30s of a fight doesn't feel right, does it?

sifuedition
02-15-2011, 04:29 PM
What was true in wotlk is more true and more evident now. Hit and exp are threat stats and good ones. However, spec and rotation have more impact on threat than those stats do.

What do you call a threat lead? You may be expecting a 100k threat lead like was common in lk, but that is and always was totally unnecessary. With the way vengence works, you should still get there, but maybe not as quickly. Dps has to pass your threat by 10% for melée or 30% for ranged to pull off of you. Therefore, any lead you have is sufficient. This is also why regaining threat at the start when dps don't let you pull is so difficult.

In the end, with currently available gear, if you need to be anywhere near caps for hit or exp to hold threat, look harder into spec and rotation or what the dps is doing better. Make sure they are on target, using threat helpers (tricks and misdirect) at the start and letting you pull with at least a hit or two on the mobs before they pop CDs and go full bore.