PDA

View Full Version : Paladin Advice

Shadster
02-09-2011, 10:34 AM
So i've recently switched my main to my pally. I am pretty sure that i am gemming/chanting correctly but my guild doesn't have any other prot pallies and i don't know anyone else that i can ask. I am pretty sure that i am gemming and chanting right but not 100% sure.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/kaelthas/t%C3%A2tertot/advanced

Anything that can be changed would be greatly appreicated.

Dedic
02-09-2011, 01:06 PM
Looks to me like you're missing out on a lot of survivability. Why reforge out of so much avoidance? You don't need hit/expertise at the expense of mastery/dodge/parry.

I'm looking at your armory page on my phone so it isn't easy (I may be missing something) but I see the -dodge and -parry with +hit and +mastery. While you generally do want as much mastery as you can get, it goes against the current wisdom to gem, enchant, or reforge for threat/dps.

Look at some of the other pally gear-check posts for more info. A lot of people are doing the same thing, and the "right" way and the reasoning behind it all has been said and re-said a bunch already.

Vigilant
02-09-2011, 02:24 PM
Just out of curiosity, did you reforge those avoidance stats into hit as a response to the HoPow generation nerf? If so, it may or may not be a justified change. I tend to side on the "may not" change, but last I read, Theck hasn't done the math on it to see where it stands. If you purposely made that change so that your HoPow generators can't miss, and have substantiation for your reasoning, then I won't argue with you, as you may know better than me.

However, if you're reforging into hit just because you like hit, then I will disagree with you, and say that you would be way better off reforging hit/exp into mastery where applicable, or if mastery is already present, into dodge/parry. You'll gain way more CTC, lower your DtpS, and your DT will be way smoother, all at the measly cost of unneeded threat.

Shadster
02-09-2011, 02:33 PM
The reason i reforged so badly into hit is beacuse right now my hit is at 3.35% unforged. I'll run with it like this tonight and see how my threat is and how my surviabilty is

Vigilant
02-09-2011, 03:06 PM
As of right now, our vengeance mechanic makes threat after the first 15 seconds of a pull or so a nonissue. As DPS gear up over the next couple of tiers, they will probably ride us a little closer on threat, but we will certainly see greater amounts of threat stats on tanking pieces in future content, as is the precedent, and we will be just fine.

Long story short, vengeance makes it such that once we start taking damage, threat isn't a concern. The first couple seconds of a pull can be solidified via tricks, misdirect, AW, and taunts if need be. To reforge into threat stats is, therefore, suboptimal when it comes to survivability, which at this point, is the name of the game.

Reforge, and you'll surely pick up a few %s of dodge/parry and some more %s of block as well. You'll take less damage over the long haul, and the lost threat shouldn't hurt you a bit.

Best of luck, and as a resource for this info, check out http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/index.php?f=3&t=29733&rb_v=viewtopic, which covers gemming, enchanting, and reforging, with maths and links in subsequent posts.

P.s. - put parry/stams in your red slots, or parry/masterys if you feel like going full out avoidance/mitigation. parry/stams are your best blended approach to gearing choice, though.

Shadster
02-09-2011, 03:29 PM
Alright will do. Thanks for that