PDA

View Full Version : Death Knight Gear Checkup and Spec advice

Myddraal
02-09-2011, 07:15 AM
Hey all,
It's been awhile since I posted as I have been dps through the expansion. I was asked to tank BWD last night and did okay, I had great heals which never let me die so I was very lucky. But I am always looking at getting better and now that I have tanked I think it is time to get gear checked. I had no problem keeping threat, I was actually pulling off the MT. But I felt a bit squishy but I equate it to being a little under geared. Is there anything you might do different with the spec? Or is that pretty standard?

Any Advice you can give is greatly appreciated.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/dark-iron/aryeh/simple

Thanks in advance
Aryeh

Netheras
02-09-2011, 08:06 AM
Your spec is fine, although to make Lichborne stronger I would get rid of the glyph of Death Strike and put in the prime for Death Coil, as it is better for the spec. And yes, you do have some pieces that are a bit below raid ready.

You have a bunch of unenchanted items... but the thing is, I don't see where you are going with the enchanting and gemming, or even the reforging. It seems like you're trying to balance out mastery and avoidance, but you keep adding hit onto your gear. Obviously you don't have much so it makes sense, but you also reforged mastery off of your weapon into hit, which I believe doesn't work out in your favor.

Other than that, I would say know when to use your CDs to the best of your ability. If you're getting the full use out of all of them and your trinkets, then all thats really left is proper use of your DS. Beyond that I would say get some enchants and better gear and you're solid.

Myddraal
02-10-2011, 05:15 AM
Thanks for the answer. Sorry, I should have specified some things in advance. I am ms UH dps right now, so I reforged mastery away to hit for my dps spec. I haven't reforged it again to another stat because I need the hit badly for my tank set. I also respeced out of lichborne today because after looking over my spec again I realized i never used lichborne so I respeced around it. Was that a good idea or should I spec back to lichborne?
Also I'm confused about Hit rating for tanking. I have always been under the impression i need it so i can gen threat, but I don't seem to have an issue with threat right now in my guilds current progression/gearing. So i reforged out of my hit rating to better balance my parry/dodge. Good idea or no?
And last but not least, Stamina gems? Should i be using them? Or should i be using +parry/+stam and +dodge/+stam gems? In my current setup I am trying to Gem to get all the socket bonuses.

Thanks again.
Aryeh

Theotherone
02-10-2011, 06:44 AM
Don't reforge for hit, don't worry about it you'll generate threat just fine; if you're going to reforge, reforge to Mastery. Mastery is very nice, especially since Blood Shield stacks on itself. As for Lichborne, it's personal preference, I don't spec to it since I find it clunky and very situational; there's not right or wrong.

Despite the current love affair with avoidance (ah, to be the flavor of the month) in the end Stam is always there to keep you alive whatever the incomming damage type and personally I believe you can never have enough. That said, until the theorycrafters confirm (as I believe they will) that EH remains king, you can hedge your bets by putting parry/stam gems in red sockets. For me yellow sockets get Mastery.

This is my spec and it works fine for me; http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/alexstrasza/theotherone/talent/primary

Netheras
02-10-2011, 09:18 AM
Since mastery is actually good for Unholy now, and you're going to use the weapon for dps, you'd still want to reforge the crit(? not checking right now) into hit.

Personally, I really like Lichborne, but if you don't know how/when to use it, then I'd say don't bother. It is an excellent CD in my opinion, but it takes some practice in using it correctly.

Myddraal
02-11-2011, 11:11 PM
On Akirus, It's mastery/expertise. But I went ahead and unforged it because i don't need the hit in my dps gear anymore. But now I have a dilemma. I only have .42% hit chance. That seems way to low. Is it?

Also I got some new gear, properly enchanted and gemmed. So I was wondering how am I doing now?

Prexie
02-13-2011, 06:20 PM
On Akirus, It's mastery/expertise. But I went ahead and unforged it because i don't need the hit in my dps gear anymore. But now I have a dilemma. I only have .42% hit chance. That seems way to low. Is it?

Also I got some new gear, properly enchanted and gemmed. So I was wondering how am I doing now?

Hit is only important when you are required to interrupt. Other than that, it's really not that necessary of a stat.

Netheras
02-13-2011, 08:39 PM
Except for Outbreak, which I believe was confirmed to be on the spell hit table (as of this patch). If you miss with that, you're stuck waiting a minute for the next time you can throw it out, or spending your runes on diseases versus a Death Strike.

This is all assuming you have to apply the debuffs (which is getting a bit more demanding with Scarlet Fever tied to Blood Plague), and that they aren't being applied by anyone else.

Not to mention missing and getting DS parried more than once is annoying.