PDA

View Full Version : Healing 'Should I even be trying to bother with heroics?' and other questions.

Tylovan
02-09-2011, 04:53 AM
So I've been playing on my Shaman alot. He's my healer, he was my first toon to 85, all that good stuff. Healed all the way through Wrath. Super. Anyway....

I've gotten to a point where supposedly I'm ready to do heroics. After trying one or two, most particularly the tail-end of the Heroic Deadmines run I did last night (came in at Ripsnarl, managed to muddle our way through Cookie and VanCleef with some wipes.), I just feel that it's kinda...useless for me to try them right now. No amount of coordination is gonna help that I'm running OOM 1/2 to 3/4ths of the way into a given boss fight.

Firstly, here's the Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/kalecgos/leros/simple

Secondly, the questions:

I'm guessing I just shouldn't bother trying to do heroics right now. But given that crafted gear is absurdly expensive, am I just relegated to farming rep for weeks on end to get rep-reward epics? What options do I have here?

Many in my guild are having the same amount of trouble. I don't like to think of us as 'bads' or anything, just that Heroics are out of our reach at the moment. I've also heard that oftentimes trash in Raids is easier than trash in heroics, and some people have farmed that for epic drops. Is there any merit to this? Or are we basically relegated to gearing up the long and tedious way?

I could ask more questions, but really, just...any constructive advice that's given would be helpful. I know there's a few pieces of gear in places like Regular Halls of Origination that I could get, but it doesn't look like there's much more.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

Theotherone
02-09-2011, 05:57 AM
The patch to the rescue. With the 15% buff, it's almost, not exactly, but almost, WoLK again. Sure you have to deal with mechanics, but the buff makes encounters much more forgiving. I tanked a BRC this morning and the cc on both of Beauty's pups broke and we made it through pups up and all. So that should help a lot. Also, certain reg dungeons are giving 30 JP per boss (I think HOO, GB and LC) so you can chain them if you want JP. Also, shammy's got a bit of a buff in the patch too, from what I was told last night so things may be looking up.

cielsong
02-09-2011, 06:24 AM
Regular 85 instance bosses (Lost City, Grim Batol and Halls of Origination) drop 30 Justice Points now, it should be possible to get a good amount of 346 gear at an acceptable rate just running normals, although not quite as quickly as if you're running heroics.

Perrian
02-09-2011, 06:50 AM
If you are OOM that quickly its probably a combination of gear and spell choice.... So lets start through things

Gear Wise:
To start with Reforge ALL of your mastery and crit to Spirit or Haste.... As Shamans we need Regen(Spirit) and fast spells (Haste)
Get your stuff enchanted and gemmed up. Mastery even with the buff is still not a top 2ndary stat for us...

Spell Wise:
This is where most Shamans hurt themselves.... improper spell choice leads to OOM more than anything else....
In Heroics here is my spell run....and i have a similiar spec to yours...
Earth Shield Tank... As he starts to run in RipTide.... Earthshock target.... drop Healing Rain on Melee group.... Spam Healing Wave....
Healing Surge and GHW are ONLY for emergencies they are not cost effective to use repeatedly (they are for emergencies only)
If that rotation isn't keeping your tank alive you need to talk with him and make sure he is using his cooldowns (which he should be using anyways)

As Healers its out job to heal AND mitigate damage, whether that is Debuffing the target with Earthshock or using Hex / Bind to take an add out of the picture....

Also Smart use Mana Tide totem is key.... early on as I geared up I used it at 75% mana and it offset mana use for its duration allowing you to get through more of the fight...

These days I'm generally at or above 60% mana at the end of Heroic Boss fights... trash? I'm always above 90%.

NinetyProof
02-09-2011, 09:27 AM
Perrian is somewhat right in that spell choice is HUGE.

A couple of rules for Heroics.

1) ES on Tank at all times
2) RipTide plus 2 HS on Tank
3) UL + GHW on tank when below 70% (rarely on dps)
4) Rip + HW on DPS
5) Might + Repentance are your best friends

Basically, stupid dps will suck up your mana faster then anything. Let them die if they are being dumb ... not your fault. HR is great if there are a lot of players low and they can stand in the circle, otherwise it's a huge waste of mana ... CH generally doesn't have enough throughput for general use.

Basically when I heal Heroics, it's mainly Rip + HSx2, UL + GHW, HW, HW, rinse / repeat ... of course the only spells that should be over healing are Rip/ES.

Bad Tanks are the next cause for you to be losing mana. They are not spec'd right, don't use cool down, or are undergeared and are not using CC enough.

Spring for the spi food, it's a nice cheap buff. You might even want to try TC for heroics ... you don't miss that much and you can keep yourself topped off for when IT hits the fan.

Ion
02-09-2011, 10:20 AM
Honestly, reforge your mastery into spirit, use your cheap spells (HW and RT) until you need to hit something harder. With your mastery reforged to spirit where you can (which should get you 232 more) and crit where you can't (which should get you 373 crit) you should have a much ... oh god...I just looked at your glyphs and spec.

Reglyph for resto. Use Water Shield, Riptide and Earth Shield. Spec something like this: http://www.wowhead.com/talent#hhZbhMZcGbMsdfRho:dbsm0czM

The resto talents are somewhat malleable, depending on how you play (I don't find NS to be terribly useful, some people don't like telluric currents, etc), but you should definitely get 3/3 Acuity and 2/2 Ancestral Swiftness.

Anyway, respec, reglyph, reforge...with more spirit and more crit your regen should be vastly better AND your throughput will be helped by having more crit as well. Also might want to consider picking up Rainsong since it's super cheap and a direct upgrade over your second trinket.

Couladin
02-10-2011, 04:18 AM
Even if you don't want to grind for it rep rewards can also help you a lot. If you get the standings to friendly it's enough to get rep in normal 85 dungeons. Just wear the cape. :)

Rep rewards have a lot of 346 and 359 items. Chain a lot of normals with cape and new JP system and you will be running heroics in not time.

Uranos7
02-10-2011, 05:55 AM
Also H DM is brutal even for a well geared group!
You did well to get thru cookie most pugs don't even make itr that far.
Try Queing up for the slightly easier heroics like Pinnacle and Blackrock 1st to get a few pieces of heroic gear b4 trying the harder ones.

Stephanius
02-10-2011, 11:02 PM
Have you adapted to Cataclysm healing design?
Without being undergeared you are not supposed to be able to heal up both the tank and the avoidable damage DPS are taking avoidable damage.