PDA

View Full Version : Death Knight Virulence vs Epidemic in 4.0.6

Felycitas
02-08-2011, 09:21 PM
The specific question is...

As a frost DK I have frost fever up on all creatures pretty much all the time. Usually blood plague will be on one target at a time. Sometimes I get unlucky and don't get a rime proc and so frost fever CAN fall off even at a duration of 33 seconds.

What would be better to have? +30% disease damage or 12 additional seconds not spent putting diseases back up?

My thinking is the 12 seconds because I can do an obliterate and blood strike and have those runes back before diseases fall (so I guess an even MORE specific question is: would +30% disease damage be more or less than an obliterate and blood strike?).

Thoughts?

Netheras
02-08-2011, 10:02 PM
I think the reason behind going Epidemic over Virulence (just checked Consider's Frost specs for both DW and 2H) is that you will probably do more damage from having more ticks of FF (especially with it benefiting from mastery which is pretty important for frost I believe) than you will from having a blanket amount of damage that also applies to Blood Plague.

If you're doing a hundred damage with Blood Plague, and another hundred with Frost Fever, and you do that damage every 2 seconds for 10 seconds (doing simple math here to make sure I'm not blowing wind out my ass) you do 1000 base damage. Add in 30% extra damage on both, and you're doing 1300 damage in that time. However, if you are doing the same base damage but for longer, 22 seconds instead of 10, you're going to do 2200 damage. The fact that your mastery will increase the damage of frost fever over that time is even better. I think that holds up even with the actual numbers in game, but as I'm not in game I can't do any real math.

Plus I play Unholy, and we like both talents =D

Coro
02-10-2011, 12:00 PM
Consider's frost build is based off 4.0.3, it hasn't been updated yet.

If you read the last page of EJ it breaks down the talents, and recommends you pick up both epidemic and virulence, drop IBT and should only have 1 point in butchery for it.

Netheras
02-10-2011, 08:28 PM
Yeah I saw that later last night but was too tired to come back haha. And I wasn't even thinking bout the rest of the points, was too focused on Virulence versus Epidemic. Good catch!

Rennadrel
02-10-2011, 08:37 PM
With Outbreak yeah, you don't really need to have additional disease damage when the core of Frost damage comes from Obliterate and Frost Strike, as well as melee swings. If you don't have the runes to reapply diseases when your timers are running low, you can just pop Outbreak and keep going with your normal rotation.