View Full Version : Tanking prot warrior chopping block
02-08-2011, 08:17 AM
My healers seem to be having trouble keeping me alive.Just want a little feed back,or help with changes i should be making..
02-08-2011, 08:23 AM
spec wise u could take some points in blood craze for some self heals
other than that i cant really see alot. effective timing of cooldowns is always a key point
Last stand + enraged regen etc
02-08-2011, 08:30 AM
Ty for your time,And ya cd usage is always important 8)
02-08-2011, 09:50 AM
Blood Craze does not do much at the moment. Better put those points into Deep Wounds or stuff like that and get your gear up to better values. You have a lot of items with dps stats. I have quite less epics than you but much higher avoidance stats and block than you.
02-08-2011, 09:57 AM
Spec wise I'd get rid of gag order and take bloodcraze. Thats really the only thing from your spec thats going to give any more survival, and not that much, Deep wounds doesn't do much either though so its a better choice imo.
Other than that get your tier legs and breastplate, will give you much more avoidance and I also recommend trading one of those stam trinks for http://www.wowhead.com/item=62466/mirror-of-broken-images.
02-08-2011, 10:36 AM
Apologies, i don't intend this to be as patronizing as it sounds.
Are Demoshout and Thunderclap being kept up?
I'd drop those pieces with Haste on them, and try to equal out your Dodge and parry ratings. I'd turn alot more of your hit into mastery or failing that avoidance
Consider switching Vial for the BH trinket on some fights.
02-08-2011, 03:09 PM
Hi, I have a couple things that might assist you.
1) I would keep gag order, there is so much utility in having a ranged silence. Consider dropping the points you put in incite, I never really appreciated the guaranteed crit on heroic strike. Yes, it is nice when it happens, but we are never going to stack crit. Incite is pretty useless to me.
2) Put 2 of those points in Blood Craze. No, it is not overwhelming, but it is up pretty frequently. Unfortunately, I cannot quote you any numbers right now, but I know the buff procs fairly often.
3) I see that you got the Impatience of Youth trinket. That is a good dps trinket, but if you are planning on using it for tanking, you would be much better suited using Mirror of Broken Images. Mastery plus 400 resist to all schools of magic (except holy) has proven to be really useful.
4) I reforged everything I have that has hit or expertise. I would rather have the mitigation, and threat is not very difficult to maintain. Yes, I have missed a critical interrupt on Halfus, but it happens very infrequently.
5) I know there are 2 trains of thought on this, but Impending Victory has its uses. I don't have it specced currently, but when I did, I liked it when it procced. My issue was it was 2 points for 50% chance to proc off a filler ability after the boss was below 20%. However, when your healer's mana is low (near the end of a fight usually), and you likely havea significant threat lead, this could help a lot, even if you cannot count on it.
Hope this helps
02-08-2011, 07:17 PM
My healers seem to be having trouble keeping me alive.
I assume you are not talking about heroics, are you?
Looking at your gear
a) you either not using cooldowns at proper time
b) your assigned healer still uses nourish all the time and sitting at 95% mana
c) your raid is handling something terribly wrong
Try to be more specific with your problem, where do you die (encounter) and during what phase/attack?
Bloodcraze is a 2.000 tick at max every second, that can help your healer on the long run but to be honest, it's mostly overheal or would be healed away anyway. You will still drop like a stone if things goes downhill and it won't save a night. Same goes for impending victory and reforging those roughly 200 mis-reforged rating. Beating the normal modes is not about 2% more avoidance, rng to your favor or a better survival specc, it's totally about executing a basic strategy properly and managing phases of huge bursts with reasonable team coordination. Stacking things like external cooldowns/certain raidcomps can still be of huge help in filling gear and skill gaps.
02-08-2011, 10:30 PM
ty all 4 your help, I will see what i can do to make the changes.
02-09-2011, 09:10 AM
Your avoidance stats look very low for your gear, I suspect it has something to do with you going for epix vs. stats. So, my first recommendation is to get some tanking gear, in particular a neck and ring. In addition, I would replace all parry/stam gems with mastery/parry gems. I would also recommend you get a mastery trinket to pair up with symbiotic worm (for most fights). To be honest, I think you wasted gold on the chest. The tier chest is way better stats wise than the crafted. That would be the upgrade I would look for next. Make sure you reforge everything except parry into mastery, and if not mastery than parry. This should up your passive 'unhittability' substantially.
Oh, and for spec, I would drop cruelty. I've never liked it, never used it, and never had threat issues. I would pick up either Deep Wounds or spec into vigilance (for raiding) and possibly safeguard (very optional). I'd also take blood craze if I was having survivability issues.
02-09-2011, 10:01 AM
ty for all the help you can close this thread now.