PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Be a Tauren or not? (Prot Warrior)

Hnetto
02-08-2011, 06:50 AM
Ok, i am at a dilemma right now.

I am an orc Warrior on my raiding character. Here is my armory link http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/zuljin/matuk/advanced

For quite some time i have been toying with the ideia of switching from Orc to Tauren. The reason is that i only mostly tank on this character and the 5% more health racial from Taurens seem quite powerful, at least on paper and at our current health levels.

The question is if that is worth the change. Is there anything on Orc that would keep me from going Tauren? I considered Hardiness, Axe spec and Blood Fury. None of them seem to be really relevant to tanking right now.

Out of the top of my head i could not remember any fight i would get stunned (maybe Cho'gal depending on how you get busted out of MC) for Hardiness to make a diference. Axe spec is nice but pretty dependant on finding the right weapon, which currently for tanks is a mace. :( Blood Fury is basicly irrelevant for tanking.

Taurens on the other hand get Endurance which is pretty useful, Nature Resistance, which someone told me does not stack with other buffs, and Warstomp which is always useful to have since it's another AoE Stun.

The only downside on this trade for me so far is that i like the Orc looks better (having feet rules!)

Am i missing something or my decision making process here is well informed?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Machoen
02-08-2011, 07:00 AM
I'm a Tauren, and I really like the health buff we have. I have been Tauren since tbc though and really like it.

From what I know or heard, orcs gain more rage, which would be good in certain fights. I notice a lot of rage problems when tanking sometimes, other than that, I have no clue, but you won't be better if you are tauren, it's just health, which you will keep up with your avoidance and mitigation :p

Thats all I know, maybe I helped you somehow!

Clone

Reev
02-08-2011, 07:09 AM
The tauren HP buff is based on "base" health, so it's not huge the way it was in TBC. Additionally, max HP isn't as important now as it was in the previous 2 expansions. It's still not bad. It's just not vital. Tauren still get War Stomp, but warriors already have a ton of stuns, and I believe this would just increase the diminishing returns. Tauren also get nature resistance, which doesn't suck.

Of course, all that orcs get is 3 expertise when using an axe, and some stun duration reduction. Blood fury can give you a slight threat buff once in a while if you want, but it's not vital. We don't get any more rage than the other tanks.

Trolls get to look good while tanking. Almost nothing worth mentioning from a tank perspective.

Forsaken get WotF, which is pretty well covered by Berserker Rage already, and Shadow Resistance, which is probably the best resistance to have.

Blood Elves get an AoE silence, but warriors already have strong silences, and AoE stuns to boot. They also get arcane resist, which is kind of weak.

Goblins get rocket jump and 1% haste. The jump is nice, but you already have heroic leap, charge, intercept, and intervene.

So really, none of the Horde racials are all that great for tanking. Tauren or Forsaken is probably the strongest, and those are pretty weak. I'd say play the race that you think looks the coolest doing its thing.

Sebadoh
02-08-2011, 07:15 AM
It's worth noting that the racial resistances do not stack with raid buffs, so they're pretty much useless in a raid setting.

All in all, none of them really matter. If we had something nice like the new Stoneform or Gift of the Naaru, I'd say it'd be worth it to change over, but Horde racials aren't that strong tank-wise.

I'd say all things considered, Goblins rule and you should be ashamed for not playing one.

(kidding)

Hnetto
02-09-2011, 03:46 AM
So, it's 5% base health? That means health before any gear modification?

Petninja
02-09-2011, 03:51 AM
Indeed.

Destruyen
02-09-2011, 04:02 AM
i was originally tauren for vanilla and bc as a tank. i switched to orc once race changes were available since i played arms and fury for wotlk. now that i'm back playing prot main spec i went back to femtaur, mostly because swing animations are better as femtaur and warstomp does have it's uses. the hp racial is roughly 2.5k between orcs and taurens which isn't alot, but i've noticed a few times i was under 3k hp and got a heal and lived. to me, if a racial will save your life at least once as a tank then it was worth it.

but ultimately pick which one you like better, you will be looking at this toon anytime you play it and unless you are a serious min/maxer then it probably isn't worth the 25 bucks to race change. with that said, i really like the way femtaurs look while tanking and they have the only tank beneficial racial.

Hnetto
02-09-2011, 05:42 AM
I think i just gave up the ideia of switching since the 5% is based of on base health instead of maximum health. Right now it's going to be 2.5k more HP that is something like 1.3% more health for me. IMO not worth a race change. I honestly can go by without warstomp.

So basicly this ideia is buried.

Thank you guys for providing me advice. :)