PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Gear check - raids?

Grommy
02-07-2011, 11:49 AM
Howdy all,

My guild is looking at finally starting raids now and i was just after a gear/spec check =)

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Armory - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/khazgoroth/gromgul/advanced

Theotherone
02-07-2011, 11:59 AM
Gear looks nice, but it's a shame to waste 2 Chimera's Eyes.

Loganisis
02-07-2011, 12:26 PM
Nit picky... I don't think any of this will affect things that much...

Isn't the rule of thumb no more than 3% difference between dodge and parry? So some of the dodge -> mastery should be Parry to mastery (such as the helm)? The HtL benefit that makes parry > dodge is good for about 3% higher parry than dodge as a general rule of thumb from what I've seen.

Dodged reforged into expertise? If you're just starting raiding - I don't think this will help you as much... DPS needs to hold off a little on the start and hunters/rogues should be MD/Tricking you. Of course, you're almost at 72.4 dodge/parry/block, which is the 'soft target', so that could be the thinking too.

INDEMNITY
02-07-2011, 12:50 PM
Hello,

I was wondering if someone could take a look at me? We just started raiding and I want to make sure that I'm not doing anything that's bringing us down.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/wyrmrest-accord/indemnity/advanced

I'm at 76.32% D+P+B, which is over the 72.4% softcap. Is that overkill? Would it be to my advantage to reforge/regem into stamina/hit and or expertise, to bring it down closer to the 72.4% cap? Threat really isn't an issue except if I miss on my first swing.

nserafini
02-07-2011, 12:55 PM
Someone is better at this than I, but the dodge / parry %'s should be closes because of the diminishing returns of each. It evens out the reduction of dodge and parry evenly, instead of one being greatly reduced and the other slightly reduced.

Correct ? ( chews nails )

Loganisis
02-07-2011, 01:01 PM
Dodge and parry have the same dimishing returns now. But Hold the Line makes parry slightly more attractive, so Parry % slightly above dodge % is the target atm from the early theorycrafting. http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.php?73444-Hold-the-Line-Maths/page2

The reality is that with a decent amount of Mastery (say 2k+ rating) Parry is the highest until you have around 2.5% more Parry than Dodge, and at that point Mastery, Parry, and Dodge become very similar. After that, it's a balancing act between increasing Mastery and Parry, which have a bit of a feedback loop between them.

Petninja
02-07-2011, 01:03 PM
Someone is better at this than I, but the dodge / parry %'s should be closes because of the diminishing returns of each. It evens out the reduction of dodge and parry evenly, instead of one being greatly reduced and the other slightly reduced.

Correct ? ( chews nails )

It's a good rule to follow but from what I've read you can have as much as 3% more parry than dodge with HtL and the DR will still not be enough to make dodge better.

Loganisis
02-07-2011, 01:16 PM
Hello,

I was wondering if someone could take a look at me? We just started raiding and I want to make sure that I'm not doing anything that's bringing us down.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/wyrmrest-accord/indemnity/advanced

I'm at 76.32% D+P+B, which is over the 72.4% softcap. Is that overkill? Would it be to my advantage to reforge/regem into stamina/hit and or expertise, to bring it down closer to the 72.4% cap? Threat really isn't an issue except if I miss on my first swing.

DPB > 72.4 is not bad. It's that at 72.4, sheild block becomes a (physical attack only) mini-shield wall. 72.4 + 5% boss miss + 25% bonus block chance means you have a 100% chance to avoid/mitigate all incoming physical damage.

Above 72.4%, any unneeded block from shield block to hit 102.4 become crit block (60% mitigation instead of 30%)... so the 3.92% 'extra' block becomes crit block for you for the duration.

It's that at 72.4, you have more flexablity in how you assign your raitings... You can:
A) Keep going with mastery and try to get as close to 97.4 DPB as possible so you are passively DPB capped (hard capped); or
B) Convert mastery back into dodge/parry to up total avoidance while maintaining 72.4 DPB
C) Convert mastery into hit/exp if you find you need them for that mechanic of the fight
D) Regem into stamina if you find it's magical damage that's taking you down.

So it's at 72.4 that you can choose what you want to do. Personally, I know many other are doing this... I'm going to push DPB as high as possible to mitigate as often as possible. The little tanking I've done, good CD use works for burst and I didn't drop as a tank until the healers did.

My suggestions for your gear...
Gems
Meta - +sta/+5% block
Yellow = pure mastery
Blue = Mastery/Sta
Red = Parry/Sta
Prismatic = Pure mastery unless needing something to activate the meta

Reforge some dodge into parry (about 1 more %)

Cloak enchant = protection (250 armor)