PDA

View Full Version : Paladin Point me in the right direction

Chasey
02-06-2011, 02:59 PM
Hey all, listen I need some help. I applied to a guild and the tanking officers (a bear) told me I'm doing everything wrong. I shouldn't be forging out of exp or hit and should forge my shield and relic to something else.

I think I have a good handle on pallys and what to do but is this guy on to the right thing, am I doing stuff wrong?
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/detheroc/chasey/simple

Katzazi
02-06-2011, 03:36 PM
He is right. You don't need hit and expertise to hold threat. Vengeance does this for you. If you use a mob once at the beginning, you can use the always landing taunts of cata, to get the attention of the mobs back to you.

Your hit and expertise values are not especially high, anyway. So reducing them on those items, does not hurt you much. But it increases your survivability.

As would do a much more mastery focused use of gems. (Blue: stam/mastery, yellow: mastery, red: parry/mastery)

Chasey
02-06-2011, 08:24 PM
Kat, thanks for the response but I think you may have missed what I was saying. He told me I need to stop runeforging mastery and stay with hit. Not sure what you meant with the bolded comment.
At my gear lvl I'm not sure how smart it is to go completely away from stam in the yellows and stam/mastery in blues. As you can see I'm not in heroic content...
So what do you suggest with my shield and relic then? Dodge or parry?

He is right. You don't need hit and expertise to hold threat. Vengeance does this for you. If you use a mob once at the beginning, you can use the always landing taunts of cata, to get the attention of the mobs back to you.

Your hit and expertise values are not especially high, anyway. So reducing them on those items, does not hurt you much. But it increases your survivability.

As would do a much more mastery focused use of gems. (Blue: stam/mastery, yellow: mastery, red: parry/mastery)

Doc309
02-06-2011, 08:54 PM
i think katz misunderstood your OP.
The Bear is wrong ... you look to be doing it "correctly", mostly :)

i would probably unreforge the helm.
reforge the hit on the legs instead.
reforge the exp on the bracers and back instead.

i would replace the gems as per katz with the addition of prismatic = yellow (ie replace those stam stones with mastery.)

Chasey
02-06-2011, 10:23 PM
TY great advice!

Katzazi
02-07-2011, 06:03 AM
Yes, sorry it was late and english is not my native language.

The bold section should be: I you lose the attention of a mob you can always taunt it back.

About stamina: If you don't trust your survivability by changig to mastery, keep your stam gems. (Or if you have stupid guild members who don't trust a tank with low health. Which is extremely stupid because tanks with high health and low avoidance/mastery are much harder to heal anyway, but you cannot change everybody. My first set of gems was stamina orientated because of that. I didn't want to discuss my gear all the time a guild member inventoried me. Well I've taught them the new priorities by now and everybody is fine by tanks focussing on mastery.)

In most cases if you do content appropriate to your gear level the stamina on your gear should be enough. In special cases a trinket- or food/flask-change may deal with a need for more health.

Illidra
02-07-2011, 06:44 AM
to be honest, that bear is a retard who clearly has no idea about tanking.

especially seeings as bears need hit and exp the least of all tanks due to their currently insane threat and damage output in bear.