PDA

View Full Version : Paladin Tankadin

Sanctem
02-06-2011, 02:45 PM
So, I'm not going to say I'm a novice when it comes to tanking, I'm the first and only in my guild to have glory to the cata hero and I tanked through all of it. However next week I'm going into my first raid. BWD.

Before I read something about dodge, block, and parry having to add up to a certain percent but I can no longer find that.

And I've been told being hit capped isn't as important this early on in the expansion so I undid all my reforged gear and am no longer hit capped. Blah.

Here's my armory.
Sanctem - Emerald Dream - US
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/emerald-dream/sanctem/simple

I basically want to know if there's a better way to gem or reforge my items. Thanks in advance! (:

Fetzie
02-06-2011, 03:03 PM
Never reforge mastery into something. Mastery is your best stat along with stamina.
Reforge hit and expertise to mastery if the item does not have it, otherwise dodge or parry, depending on what you have less of.
Only reforge avoidance stats to mastery. Exception is if one of your avoidance stats is more than, say, 1% above the other. Then you can reforge selectively to remedy this.
Do not reforge to hit or expertise. Exception: you need to be a designated interrupter (which you won't be).

Rennadrel
02-06-2011, 03:14 PM
Dodge is a pretty low value stat at the moment for any tanks other then bears, if you have excess hit and expertise, reforge to Mastery. No matter what, Mastery is by far and away the best stat for any tank, parry currently holds more value over dodge though, I don't know any tanks who are straight up taking dodge over parry at this current frame in time. And to me Mastery is the compensation at last for removing shield block, but now bears get their own thing and DK's get the blood shield. I know some tanks who are taking strength items to raid over dodge or parry food because it's additional threat as well, something to look into. Once you get over 175k raid buffed for health, you don't really need to be stacking more stamina.

Katzazi
02-06-2011, 03:17 PM
The number you read about dodge, parry and block is one only relevant for warriors. (It's 72.4% if you are actually looking for it.) Paladins don't have such a fixed number they want to reach. However you want to have all of the three.

Your goal as a paladin is to get as much master (block) as you can. If you cannot get anymore block, you try to get as much avoidance as you can. They should be as high as possible (with maximzed block) and as close as possible together. Buffed. So try to have kings and battle shout/Horn of Winter/Strength of Earth Totem up when checking your values.

What should you do to reach this goal:
Focus your gems more on mastery, not on stamina. Blue: stam/mastery, yellow: mastery, red: parry/mastery.
Never ever use dodge for the yellow part of a gem.
Mastery is just the better option. If you are doing content at an appropriate gear level, your items should bring all the stamina you need. Well beside of trinket or flask/elexier selection. You can buff your stamina with this, if you feel in need for more.

Nearly no tank death in Cata is about a tank getting few very big hits in a row and healers not having the time to safe the tank before the next big hit. That's where stamina shines. That was the world of wrath. Sure there are those situations in Cata, but in nearly every case you can avoid the dmg by playing accordingly to the encounter or use an appropriate CD. Tanks don't die just because of to hard normal melee hits, anymore. But they often die slowly, because healers run out of mana or healers run out of cast time to use their more efficient heals. It's not because the boss hits too fast, but because the DPS of the boss is higher than the sustained HPS of the healers. They may be able to spike heal something with much more HPS, but they just don't have the mana anymore to do it all the time. Stamina does not do anything about the DPS of the boss. It just gives you more time to live at the same incoming DPS. Avoidance and Block reduce the incoming DPS and block even smoothes the dmg out over time. Healers can spam there efficient heals infinitely. But they cannot do it with the more effective heals. So constant low dmg is much better to heal than a little bit lower overall dmg in a much shortet time.

As for hit: Yes it's not important for a block tank at the moment (not sure about DKs, but as far as I know they are still discussing it). But the same is true about expertise. It does not do anything for your survivability anymore. Parry haste is gone. Since both are not helpfull for your survival and since Vengence does all you need to hold threat you just ty to get rid of them in favore of better stats. Sure, you may miss at the start of an encounter, but you have taunts to get mobs back in time. They are no bad stats as such, but you just don't need them at the moment. If you need them, you can use hit/expertise food or trinkets or redo your reforging. But in most cases you can just ignore them.

However you are reforging to them at the moment instead of reducing them for more mastery, dodge and parry.

Reforge all items in favore of mastery and balanced dodge and parry.
- If the item has no mastery but at least one out of hit/expertise/crit/haste, reforge the highest one of them to mastery.
- If the item has dodge + parry reforge the higher value to mastery.
- All items woth mastery on them should be used to balance dodge and parry. Every stat on them, that is neither dodge nor parry should be reforged to the value lower on your character sheet.
- If the difference between dodge and parry is big after that, check if you can reforge anything differently, to close the gap a little bit more. (That will be items with mastery + dodge/parry or dodge + parry.)

Fetzie
02-06-2011, 03:41 PM
Also do not feel like you HAVE to reforge. Sometimes it is smarter to leave an item as it is, or even to remove the reforging altogether. This is particularly noticeable with items that have mastery + an avoidance stat.

Sanctem
02-06-2011, 03:51 PM
Thanks! One more question. I plan on getting the mastery/resistance trinkit from TB. Which one of the trinkits should I replace?

Fetzie
02-06-2011, 03:56 PM
leaden dispair IMO. but don't throw it away, keep it around for tanking Nezir at conclave of wind.

Selene
02-07-2011, 12:43 PM
Dodge is a pretty low value stat at the moment for any tanks other then bears, if you have excess hit and expertise, reforge to Mastery. No matter what, Mastery is by far and away the best stat for any tank, parry currently holds more value over dodge though, I don't know any tanks who are straight up taking dodge over parry at this current frame in time. And to me Mastery is the compensation at last for removing shield block, but now bears get their own thing and DK's get the blood shield. I know some tanks who are taking strength items to raid over dodge or parry food because it's additional threat as well, something to look into. Once you get over 175k raid buffed for health, you don't really need to be stacking more stamina.

Paladins technically do want dodge slightly above parry, because it helps with mana.