PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Guild rejecting me as a tank, while they are in need of a tank.

Ravensnow
02-04-2011, 12:43 PM
Hello, my issue is my guildmates wont allow a raid spot for my tankadin, which they are in need of a new tank. I took a break for about a month into cata, so I didn't get a spot right away. Now with a spot opened, and with me fully geared out for raids, they will not let me raid with them. I used to raid with them all the time in wrath, so they know my skills as a tank, but they wont let me join them, what should I do?

Synapse
02-04-2011, 12:45 PM
Ask them why they don't want you to tank.

Ravensnow
02-04-2011, 12:51 PM
Sofar when I ask they compare me to the only tank left, with the epic gear. I am not all epics, but I am ready for raiding definitly, full 346 with a few epics should be enough I'd immagine. kindof like they are dodging the answer.

nserafini
02-04-2011, 12:54 PM
Personality issue ? Were you tanking before ( and had issues ) ? Who knows ...

Remember some rep rewards are 359, plus you can make some items or buy them in the AH.

Quinafoi
02-04-2011, 01:03 PM
Sounds like they are telling you that you're undergeared. And perhaps you are. We aren't provided enough information to make a judgement in that regard. But if your guild is off doing heroic mode raid encounters, and you're only geared for heroic dungeons and normal mode raid encounters, then you would be undergeared relative to their current context.

When it is all said and done though...

1. None of us can do anything about it. This is a matter between you and your guild.
2. Only they can actually give you a reason. We can only guess at it.

Sorry my mind reading ability is still on cooldown.

Ravensnow
02-04-2011, 01:04 PM
Personality: Some new members have issues, but most do not. Tanking issues: No, I helped almost any tank that came into the guild with info, still do. And I performed well, and I am working on my last rep piece from wildhammer, and i am working on my black smithing. I have no idea what happened, as I did nothing to provoke anyone. I do not know if I want to find a new guild or not, alot of them are cool guys I enjoy to raid with, but at the moment they wont allow it for no good reason sofar. And I am geared for the regular raid progression, as that's what they are clearing. thought I'd edit that in.

Quinafoi
02-04-2011, 01:11 PM
for no good reason sofar.

This is always a matter of perspective. Perhaps they feel whatever reasons they have are good enough.

klor
02-04-2011, 01:31 PM
Did you ask them why?

Squirrelnut
02-04-2011, 01:35 PM
Hard fact: I can almost guarantee it is because you are a poor tank. We have had many tanks through Wrath and now into Cata and the ONLY reason you would not bring a tank if a tank spot is open is if he isn't doing his job up to standard.

You may have raided with them in Wrath but that was likely a combination of them finding out how good you are / not having any other options. If you want to be a tank I would recommend the following:

Research your class, learn all there is to know about your abilities, priorities and any tricks people recommend
Min/max your character. This includes gear/gems/enchants/rep and combine that with flasks/food/etc every raid to perform at the highest level you possibly can
Learn the fights, a huge portion of being a good tank is knowing fight mechanics, positioning, timing, proactive cooldown use. There is a lot more to being a good tank then not standing in fire yourself, if you do your job correctly you make tunnelvision deepz look good by doing their positioning job for them
Communication, make sure you have a solid connection and clearly verbalize things to keep raids running smoothly. Otherwise good tanks can severely lack if they are unwilling to communicate effectively to call encounter specific things, tank swaps, etc
Personality: if you are an a-hole no one will want to raid with you plain and simple. Evaluate your behavior and see if you might want to change anything. Additionally people feel comfortable with players who do things with them outside of raids such as 5m heroics, dailies, etc. Have fun with people and it greatly improves your chances of getting a raid spot
Performance: not a lot has to be said here, either you are a good tank or you aren't. There are an infinite number of intangibles that go into being a good tank and you are either doing them or you aren't. Everyone can improve, try to see what you can do better. WoL is a GREAT resource, record all raids you do and upload to WoL to review your ability use, cooldown use, numbers and more importantly compare all that information with other players from top world guilds to see if they are doing anything differently then you

Nothing is set in stone but it sure sounds like your guild thinks you are a bad tank. Do what you have to in order to become a great tank and then work on proving that to them through 5m's 10m's 25m's, etc. Whenever you get a chance you have to shine and change people's view of you as a player.

EDIT: One last thing to mention, never make excuses or make your guild feel like you should have a spot because you have been there a long time. People take raiders for their performance. If you aren't being brought to raids it is your own fault and you need to fix whatever is wrong and then demonstrate that any raid would be lucky to have you. Actions speak louder then words; prove you are a great tank by performing at the highest level and when you DON'T get taken to raids pug whatever you need to so that you get the gear you need to perform even better the next time you DO get a chance.

Petninja
02-04-2011, 01:58 PM
Are their other tanks also Paladins? They might want a better class mix in their tanks.

Personally I feel you should just talk to your officers about it. This isn't really the kind of problem for a forum community to help solve. It's guild politics, which should probably stay in the guild.

Squirrelnut
02-04-2011, 02:04 PM
Politics and Class differences aside you have to be willing to admit that you straight up aren't cutting it as a tank.

As a current GM that deals with 'who to bring' and 'what to recruit' type decisions all the time I can tell you from experience that there are some players that you want in your raid no matter what. I don't care if they were in nothing but blues on a class they are fairly new to there are some people that you just know are really good and you WANT to bring them and get them geared because you know they are a huge benefit to raid progression. Your job is to make yourself one of those players.

If a tank is really good they will get brought to raids no matter what the politics or class balance situation is. Ignore all that junk, don't make excuses and take responsibility for what you have control over which is doing what you need to in order to be come the best tank possible.

Predakhan
02-04-2011, 02:09 PM
The nut has spoken!! :) His advice is probably bang on.

Fakemessiah
02-05-2011, 08:38 AM
if you posted an armory link we could probably tell you more as to why you aren't being taken to raids. Just because you were "good" in wrath does not mean that you are good now. The whole tanking style has changed. Constantly moving, kiting adds, cycling CD's, and everything else.
Or maybe you have not gotten a grasp of the way our stat itemization works. regardless your officers/GM are not taking you because they do not feel you are up to par with the rest of the raid. That is their right and their duty as officers/GM's. I am the main tank/Officer of my guild and if we have benched many "old school" players over new players because they do not understand the concept of this new content.

Im sure its not a personal vendetta against you or anything, they are just doing whats best for the guild...and unfortunately that means leaving u out.

Selene
02-06-2011, 03:51 AM
if you posted an armory link we could probably tell you more as to why you aren't being taken to raids. Just because you were "good" in wrath does not mean that you are good now. The whole tanking style has changed. Constantly moving, kiting adds, cycling CD's, and everything else.
Or maybe you have not gotten a grasp of the way our stat itemization works. regardless your officers/GM are not taking you because they do not feel you are up to par with the rest of the raid. That is their right and their duty as officers/GM's. I am the main tank/Officer of my guild and if we have benched many "old school" players over new players because they do not understand the concept of this new content.

Im sure its not a personal vendetta against you or anything, they are just doing whats best for the guild...and unfortunately that means leaving u out.

I know how that goes.
I have seen people that were decent/good tanks in ICC content now being benched because they are doing things like Stam stacking instead of doing proper gems. Also said people are doing stupid stuff in instances, like not interrupting when they should, and that is something that is evaluated for if you will be considered for Raiding.
I'm not the Raid Leader for my Guild (the GM actually does that) but I am one of the Raid Captains, which means I can set up and lead raids that I know inside and out, and give opinions on a guild member's (especially Tanks or DPS) performance in instances.

dagimp007
02-09-2011, 12:58 PM
about 50% of the fights only require 1 tank, it could be the simple fact that u dont have the right Off Spec..

something like this should be talked about in your guild and not on here thoe, and if u feel under utilized find a new guild that is at your lvl of raiding (meaning just starting out to raid)

Stengel
02-09-2011, 01:08 PM
Ask your guild leader what's needed for you to get a spot and do it. That shows class and dedication.

If there's nothing that you can do just accept it and move on. If they think there's simply no spot for you in the raid, then arguing about this would only take away your chances of perhaps getting a spot in the future.

MellvarTank
02-09-2011, 01:55 PM
I took a break for about a month into cata,

Did they need you in that time frame? It could be a case of you stiffed them on a tank and now you are 'unreliable'. The other options are what Squirrelnut said. Nobody refuses good players for no reason.

If their comments were your gear, it is likely something you are doing. Have you run with the raid healers? Are they ooming on you? Those are usually red flags.