PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Gearlvl for HC

Mortor
02-03-2011, 10:07 PM
Hello

I was thinking about what gearlvl you should aim for, before the first HC run as a DK tank.
Atm I have gear lvl 338, 14% dodge and parry, 14.50 mastery and 129K HP.
I know it also depends on how good the healer and the dps is.
I'm beginning to find it hard to get better gear. I need to get 2 epic faction items and 2 JP items, but it takes forever to get those when I'm running normal runs

Quinafoi
02-04-2011, 12:41 AM
329, if appropriately geared/enchanted/gemmed, properly specced, appropriately skilled in tanking, and grouped with competent players.

The minimum to queue for heroics is capable of doing them if you are appropriately prepared. I can't tell if you are ready or not, only you can figure that out.

Mačl
02-04-2011, 12:52 AM
I got the feeling that a couple of encounters aren't tuned to 329 despite what Blizz says. But if the OP isn't ready to start out on heroics nobody is.

Just remember. Surviving an encounter isn't only a function of gear but also movement and hitting the right survival button at the right time. Which is especially true for a DK.

Mortor
02-04-2011, 01:05 AM
Ok tankyou very much for your replys. Just one last question.
A friend of mine says that I should have between 140 and 160k of HP before I'm ready to do HC. As faar as I know it's not always best to have more HP but to have more mastery and therefor DS is better.
Another thing Hov much Hit should I aim for?

Fledern
02-04-2011, 01:58 AM
I started tanking heroics with way worse gear. I had mostly greens even, i barely hit 329 before i hit the hc. The biggest problem you'll face with a DK tank is the initial pulls on large packs with minimal cc. Until that shield kicks in, you're very vulnerable, especially with low gear. Try to form your own groups & bring a lot of cc, then you should be fine.

Mačl
02-04-2011, 02:11 AM
Telling the truth, 130k, 140k or 160k just buys your healer time. Most of the time tanks die due to groups taking too much longterm damage thus running the healer oom.

In heroics think of your HP like a water reservoir. You fill up in times of plenty and live on it in a drought. If you have lots of HP chances are your healer doesn't have to resort to using Flash Heal and other expensive ways to keep you alive. Avoidance and mitigation have become much more useful than before. And you don't have to choose between avoidance and mitigation and raw HP like you had to in WotLK.

You are ready for heroics. Let's hope you are ready for pugs.

PatrikL
02-04-2011, 02:54 AM
I started tanking HCs as soon as I could queue for it and since I collected both tank and dps gear right from the start I would guess my tank gear was well below 329. However I dont remember which were my first HCs so cant really tell you if any of them would have been particularly difficult in the start. However a proper group composition is much more important that later. Melee heavy groups with little or no cc makes some dungeons very difficult with low gear. 2 or 3 ranged all with cc abilities (and them beeing skilled in using them) makes most dungeons quite easy even at fairly low level. The difference between fighting 2-3 mobs instead of 5-6 at the same time makes soo much bigger difference than gear will.

Edit: Forgot to say that just by judging your gear level you are more than ready for HCs.

Mortor
02-04-2011, 11:12 AM
Thankyou very much everyone for taking time to post your helpful replies.

Mortor
02-05-2011, 05:43 AM
One more question

I don't know if I should use rune of the stoneskin gargoyle instead of the one I am using now

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/tarren-mill/mortor/advanced

I would get around 1700 HP and 1100 better armor. But i would lose 4% parry. To do or not do? Any other comments/ suggestions are welcome

Selene
02-06-2011, 04:53 AM
AFAIK most DK tanks still use SSG for their Rune.

Theotherone
02-07-2011, 08:36 AM
I use Rune of the Stoneskin Gargoyle - 2% Stam plus 4% Armor.

Prexie
02-07-2011, 10:38 AM
You will most likely see a better benefit from SSG than Swordshattering right now. You may end up investing in another tank weapon with SS on it for certain fights like Chimaeron but that's not now.

There are no arbitrary numbers that say you are ready for heroics other than the artificial gear requirement Blizzard implemented with the group finder. Like others have said, it's entirely possible to go in with fresh gear ~329 and do just fine or fail horribly. You'll save yourself a lot of headaches if you do it with guildies, though. CC is extremely important to fresh tanks. When you get raid gear, you can start pulling Wrath style again.

Mortor
02-07-2011, 02:29 PM
But if I change to SSG I will end up with around 10parry and 14.5 dodge. Should I then reforge some dodge to parry to even them out? I read that parry and dodge should be almost the same.

Theotherone
02-07-2011, 02:35 PM
But if I change to SSG I will end up with around 10parry and 14.5 dodge. Should I then reforge some dodge to parry to even them out? I read that parry and dodge should be almost the same.

Guess you could reforge some dodge, but at this level I really don't think it will make any noticeable difference. The again I'm notone of the math people and maybe 4% difference is huge; also, I'm not totally sold on the whole avoidance thing - as a DK I'm finding mastery and stam to be most useful; but I'll wait on the theory crafters before I make a final decision.

Prexie
02-07-2011, 05:19 PM
The reasoning behind reforging parry to dodge or vice versa is because of diminishing returns. as a rule of thumb, the higher % of avoidance stat, the more stat rating it takes to achieve the next % (may not be the case with block but that's irrelevant to a DK). Swordshattering gets the benefit of avoiding this DR because it's a flat percentage increase and not a rating increase.

So the general idea is to get your dodge/parry RATING values as close as possible to get the best bang for your buck. Is it bad to have more parry rating than dodge? No. Is it optimal? Not typically.