PDA

View Full Version : The Weekly Marmot - Raiding and Dual Specs

Lore
01-25-2011, 02:33 PM
Qv6toXjJACk

Follow me on Twitter (http://www.twitter.com/devolore) or Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/devolore)!

Supermassive
01-25-2011, 03:21 PM
I think you missed one good point though.
Dual spec can also be used to extend one spec.
If your a Priest Healer and don't want to DPS, you now have the option of disc/holy for different fights depending on what does better.
For Pure DPS it's the same think. Marksman may do great on one fight and BM on another.
And even for Pure Tanks. An AOE spec vs. a Single target spec. etc. etc.

Jamesondrinker
01-25-2011, 03:37 PM
what if forensics finds the answers?
what if they stole my fingerprints?
where did i leave my book of matches?
we'll find you

lostplotman
01-25-2011, 04:06 PM
i would also like to add about the dps dual spec. i play a DK and being able to change spec and have 2 1hand weapons and a 2hand weapon for both specs is great. some specs work out to pwn more than others. just saying to all the dps specs out there, invest in dual spec and try out some of the awesome combos u can make.

smeggs
01-25-2011, 04:45 PM
Just extending on the dual spec topic and something for the smaller guilds out there, I'm an officer in a small raiding guild that recently lost a member or two from its raid team and we find our selves missing tanks and/or healers. since i have two 85 chars(Resto Druids / Blood DK) that are raid level geared i swap between them depending on what the raid group needs. For example, the trash before Magmaw needs two tanks, however, Magmaw himself only needs one, so i bring my DK for trash and switch to my healer for the boss fight. This isn't the ideal way to put together a raid group but as we are just starting back into raiding and are having trouble finding decent applicants(paladins with 0 glyphs on both specs, 3 applicants in a row). its just something to think about if you have a player that has put the time and effort into building 2 classes for raid content.

-Smeggs <Overrated>

BluTrigger
01-25-2011, 05:48 PM
It's really really simple**

Nicolin
01-25-2011, 11:21 PM
i did see someone mention pure dps trying other speccs but a hybrid could also tweak example boomkin specc for trash aoe or single target dps the same way also using dual specc is so cheap now it would be silly not to make 2 speccs what works for soloing might be crap for raids

methian
01-26-2011, 06:41 AM
Dual spec can be almost as big a deal for pure dps as classes well. I play a afflic/demon lock. On a pure single target fight, affliction is MUCH better than demon, especially if you need self healing (Al'Akir comes to mind). If there is any burst AoE in the fight though, affliction doesn't even come close to what demon can do with cool downs, (Maloriak/Magmar anyone?). In a 10 man raid that can make a HUGE difference.

But it isn't just individual damage side of it, raid buffs can make a huge difference. If you are missing a critical buff having someone take a small personal dps by switching specs can result in a significant raid dps boost.

Doc309
01-26-2011, 11:17 AM
while not completely on topic...

i die a little inside whenever i see a pally or druid, post in trade, " looking for tank or heals for random heroic."

Reinette
01-26-2011, 02:13 PM
My first experience with the complaints from pure dps classes about loot was way, way back when we were progression through Serpentshrine Cavern. I play Alliance and back then in the early days of BC, I was the only level 70 Shaman in the guild. My preferred spec was Elemental, but there were plenty of times when I needed to be Resto or Enhancement for the good of the group. If a certain fight really favored melee dps, I'd go enhancement for some windfury goodness. If chain healing was super effective on a fight, I'd be resto. If it was Vashj and someone had to kite striders, I'd be elemental. You get the picture.

Because I was the only shaman and because I was playing all three specs fairly equally, I got virtually all the shaman-specific gear, and nobody complained because - well, what the hell were they going to do with it? The trouble came when I was trying to get generic pieces like rings, trinkets, cloaks, weapons, etc. The Mages and Warlocks in the guild started to get really upset because I was getting all this stuff for multiple roles. Elemental was my primary role, so while I wasn't ever going to get a melee or healer trinket before a main-spec melee or healer, I did have the same priority on caster dps items.

The situation was eventually solved by my switching mains to a Ret paladin (after we'd found ourselves some other shamans). I always felt their argument was, frankly, pretty stupid. They way they wanted things, I wouldn't have a primary spec at all, in terms of loot. I'd have bottom priority on all applicable pieces, but the fact that I was capable of getting this many epics made up for it in their minds. People who think like this really need to take a step back, because their opinions are doing a disservice to their raid.

Secretofthedark
01-26-2011, 02:31 PM
did anyone think lore was impersonating dial-up internet at the start?

Knighterrant81
01-26-2011, 05:24 PM
The way we've always worked it is that any piece that is wanted by a main spec raider goes to that raider first. They have 100% priority. Even with this rule, I have been able to maintain a pretty viable raiding set for my offspec (Holy) while still being competitive on my main spec (Shadow).

The one thing that helps is that as soon as possible, I try to keep both sets separate. It does help that alot of the gems and enchants are similar in both sets, but it is nice to not have to worry about enchanting a piece for one set because it is the wrong enchant for the other set and other such problems. Then I can min max both sets at the same time.

Mhoram
01-26-2011, 05:33 PM
Rift...

Golden122
01-27-2011, 05:15 AM
In my progression guild in ICC I played an ele/reso shaman. I got to DPS the first half and heal the last. My biggest problem with dual spec is you're gearing 2 classes. It meant while we're progressing I was the least geared healer. Until the other healers had everything that dropped from the first 6. Then the same effect for my elemental on the last 6.

Lichdom
01-27-2011, 09:13 AM
There is a distinction to be made here about dual-spec. There are those that dual-spec between the same role, for example holy priest to disc or affliction lock to demo. Good job, more power to you, but that isn't what's being addressed here. Mainly we're talking about a raid leader trying fill in spots for tanks, healers, or dps. To really make the most of this, you need two things.

First, you need a raid leader than understands the value of having people that can switch roles and accommodate them lootwise, as Lore mentioned.

Second, you need a player that understands that he's playing a hybrid class, as such should expect to maintain at least two specs. There are far too many people that level a hybrid and play him like a pure dps class. If you're a druid and specced feral dps, you're basically a just rogue as far as the raid leader is concerned. If you have a moonkin spec off spec, then perhaps in non-melee friendly fights or mana intensive fights, you can switch to be at range or provide innervate, not bad. However, the true value comes when you can spec resto or tanking. That's when a raid leader will take notice and be able to plug holes in his lineup because you're using your hybrid to its fullest.

It takes both to make it work, a raid leader that will take care of dual-speccers with loot, and hybrid that want and can maintain specs across roles.