PDA

View Full Version : Tanking PROT warrior looking for gear critique. Level 84

vizionblind
01-23-2011, 08:53 PM
Hi all,

I seem to have a bit of an issue holding aggro when running NORMAL cata dungeons. I am looking for advice on which cata dungeons are the best for PROT gear and what stats I should be going for.

Here is my guy, please advise on what to get etc.. ty!

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/emerald-dream/tristayne/advanced

Katzazi
01-24-2011, 03:28 AM
http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.php?72068-Cata-Pre-Raid-Gear

You should try to get stuff in the following order:
1. mastery + parry/doge
2. parry + dodge or mastery + hit/expertise
3. parry/dodge + hit/expertise
4. hit + expterise or mastery + crit/haste
5. everything else

Only the ones in category 1-3 can be thought of as tank gear. Only take the others if you don't have an alternative in the slot.

If you think you will stick to an item for some runs consider reforging like this:
1. pieces with no mastery on it: crit/haste/hit/expertise -> mastery
2. pieces with dodge+parry: reforge the one which you have more -> mastery
3. pieces with mastery: crit/haste/hit/expertise -> parry or dodge (take the lower one of them if possible)

You can try to finetune dodge and parry, but I don't think that's worth to do at the moment. Your goal would be to have them near together with parry a little bit higher than dodge.

While collecting gear try to get 72.4% combinded parry+dodge+block eventually.

vizionblind
01-24-2011, 07:42 AM
TY. I keep being told on various forums that Stamina FIRST than Mastery. Is that wrong?

Katzazi
01-24-2011, 07:55 AM
Yes. At least until you do heroic raids.

Anyway, I was speaking about reforging. You cannot reforge stam, anyway. The value of stam on an item is fixed with the item lvl, the same goes with strength. So the only places where you even can favore stam over mastery are your gem slots and your trinket. The difference between going full out on stam and refusing to take any stam in this slots is about 8k. A tank who is ready to start raiding has about 160k HP. So the difference is about 5%.

On the other hand there are no mechanics that two hit tanks that cannot be dealt with in another way. Saving your healer mana is much more important than giving tham a little bit more health to heal full. At least at the content you are facing for a while. Additionally, when you get this 72.4% parry+dodge+block, you cannot be hit by a normal hit when you Shildblock is up, anymore. So every potential hit is reduced at least by 30% 1/3 of the time (or whenever you chose to hit SB). That's much more than 5% more life.

klausi
01-24-2011, 08:11 AM
TY. I keep being told on various forums that Stamina FIRST than Mastery. Is that wrong?
Really depends on your gear. You'll want an amount of stamina to survive certain, dangerous stuff like breath', stuff flying through the room or laying around on the ground.

If your sitting in full 346 gear with reputation epics and two avoidance trinkets (Crab (http://www.wowhead.com/item=56280) + Finger (http://www.wowhead.com/item=56449)) you'll end up with only ~ 139k hitpoints. Even while bringing you to 82% combined dodge/parry/block/miss that might not be enough, adding a stamina trinket (+8k hp -1% block -0.75% parry) or gemming for stamina (+8k hp -2% block) brings you close to 150k hp unbuffed, that's what always aim for. The better gear you get the easier it is to swap in and out trinkets on purpose and gem everything straight for mastery.

vizionblind
02-04-2011, 03:40 PM
now that I hit level 85, I would love if you would all check my gear etc... I need 4 more points to be able to run heroics and dont know how to go about obtaining them...

klausi
02-04-2011, 06:38 PM
Push Earthen Ring to honored for Stone-Wrapped Greaves (http://www.wowhead.com/item=62355). And recheck the first answer, there's a link with a full pre-raidgear list.

Digga
02-04-2011, 06:59 PM
Don't know if you're still looking for advice but here are my 2 cents, first and foremost work on your hit and expertise because without either of those you'll "miss" "dodge" "parry" thus building no threat and start sucking on rage even more and have aggro issues. I'm mainly reforged for those 2 stats more than anything until I get better gear. Like he said work on earthen ring till revered personally for the legs and the head enchant, also get your dragonmaw rep up to revered or exhalted. You get a nice helm and epic boots at exhalted. After that I would work on Guardians of Hyjal or Therazine if you haven't started those yet. Once you get close to hit and exp cap then I would start looking at the other stats. Don't worry so much about mastery in my opinion because that will come with gear on it's own. I looked at your spec and it looks decent however this is just my personal opinion. Drop the point in cruelty and Vigilance and 1 point from arms and put those in incite. You would be suprised at how often heroic strike will crit and that will proc; thus giving you more threat.

Katzazi
02-05-2011, 03:46 AM
I completely disagree with Digga.

You will not have threat/dmg problems even with about 0 hit and 0 expertise. Sure, if you have bad luck, you may need to taunt a mob if your DDs cannot wait. But that will not happen often. Taunts cannot miss anymore. TC cannot be dodged or parried (and I've never seen it miss). Hit may be helpfull for interrupts, but in most cases your DDs should do that anyway. (And even with about 1-2% hit, you will only miss 5%.) Expertise does not do anything for interrupting, because your opponent cannot dodge or parry while casting. Nobody can.

I myself are running with below 2% hit and 4 expertise at the moment. I've run with lower values. People like to run with me, because it's so hard to pull mobs off of me, even with such low values.

On the other hand. You will have survival issues in some heroics until you are overgeard for them. So getting your mastery and avoidance to the values I mentioned before, is quite essential. Mastery does not just come with gear. I've worked hard to get good mastey gear. It did not just be there. 10 of my items are mastery+parry/dodge, 4 are matery + hit/expertise, trinkets are either mastery or dodge/parry, only ranged weapon has no mastery on it. It brings 2200 mastery with it. But even with this gear that is totally focussed on mastery by itself, I get 626 additional mastery from reforging, geming, enchanting it to mastery.

But at the start of heroic 5mans you will probably not be able to get items with mastery on them right at the beginning. So your mastery they bring will be much lower than my values. (Especially since I've got some purples by now via raiding.) So reforging will give you much more mastery. Reforging, gemming and enchanting can even give you the majority of your mastery.