PDA

View Full Version : PST - Episode 13

Lore
01-21-2011, 03:25 PM
st2gFWYVwJA

This week:

Any tips for new raid leaders?
What do you think about guild mergers?
Should I change race to increase my DPS?
and more!

Follow me on Twitter (http://www.twitter.com/devolore) or Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/devolore)!

dixly
01-21-2011, 03:52 PM
Lore wins

Cindorella
01-21-2011, 03:54 PM
I prefer the longer episodes. If i am ever to send in a question, i will have to force you into using aye Swedish accent. (swenglish)

Skeptikk
01-21-2011, 04:03 PM
Does anyone happen to know the "BigBrother" like addon that Lore talks of?

Kazeyonoma
01-21-2011, 04:22 PM
wow lore... wow... really. Bett-eh... wow... I'll never let you live this one down.

Eoika
01-21-2011, 04:28 PM
Hehehe, Lore said play with each other. I'm so juvenile.

Fetzie
01-21-2011, 04:46 PM
lore you really need to watch some british tv to get that accent right :P

Skeptikk: http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info17375-BigBrotherNebEdition.html should be what you are looking for, the original version hasn't been updated there for a couple of years (might be on curse, didn't check).

CatabriOnEarthen
01-21-2011, 05:09 PM
Your accent is all over the island, bloke.

Eoika
01-21-2011, 05:13 PM
[Today 07:48 PM] [PM to Eoika] Pyrea (http://www.tankspot.com/member.php?20146-Pyrea): probably :P
[Today 07:48 PM] [PM to Eoika] Pyrea (http://www.tankspot.com/member.php?20146-Pyrea): pm'ed because it'll get me banned if I post it publicly
[Today 07:47 PM] [PM to Eoika] Pyrea (http://www.tankspot.com/member.php?20146-Pyrea): your comment on the pst reminded me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kclq2zGQy4w&fmt=35

Its what I got in the shoutbox. Enjoy.

Fetzie
01-21-2011, 05:31 PM
dammit Eoika :< veeery sneaky :/

was it at least funny? oh, and it may be nsfw (but i doubt it)

Scottpoet
01-21-2011, 06:13 PM
I can almost guarantee that unholy dk is summoning his ghoul before getting all his buffs, and by all I mean procs from fallen crusader and trinkets which is on top of food, flasks and raid buffs.

kasterd
01-21-2011, 06:25 PM
Im part british and that was sooo funny and i wish i could teach lore how to do them properly show the uk whos boss haha

Skeptikk
01-21-2011, 06:51 PM
lore you really need to watch some british tv to get that accent right :P

Skeptikk: http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info17375-BigBrotherNebEdition.html should be what you are looking for, the original version hasn't been updated there for a couple of years (might be on curse, didn't check).

Thankyou very much.

Reinette
01-21-2011, 07:04 PM
As an addendum to Lore's response to the first question from a new raid leader, I thought I'd mention a handy addon I used to use which was, if I remember correctly, called RaidRx. Simply put, it makes sure your raiders aren't being cheapskates. It will check for whatever buffs/food/flasks/etc you want it to check for so you can very quickly find out if someone hasn't flasked. You can do this sort of thing manually and some people dislike being called out by a mod for this sort of thing, but really it's preferable to use the mod. The main reason is because it's fast and if people know you're going to run an Rx check before every attempt, then they're going to remember to use their consumables themselves. It's all about maximizing efficiency in the raid. Less time spent doing ______ is more time spent killing bosses. Virtually all the advice I would give to a new raid leader would fall along these same lines. Anything you can do outside of the raid to make the raid run more efficiently is the absolute gravy of raid leading (assuming you're using gravy as some kind of fuel).

Subetei
01-22-2011, 01:20 AM
I think you've alienated half the british empire with this.

Nicolin
01-22-2011, 02:21 AM
I like the "seriousness" lore uses for these questions now we just need him to imitate aliena's voice that is a damn goddess like voice to me he does that ill send him a golden star ;p

Krays
01-22-2011, 02:27 AM
I never noticed this before, but that small pause you drew attention to made me think, you don't really use a script to help you do you? how do you keep talking so fluidly for so long without forgetting what to say, i rarely see cuts/stops in your videos either you are literally sitting there talking non-stop for 25 mins.

Reason i ask is cause im going for a few job interviews lately and they expect me to talk like that to their questions ie no pauses, fluid talking and know what im on about, without sitting there going hmm , "ahh hmm let me think..". Its a very good skill to have, alot of people cant do it.

I would love to see a small section devoted to this skill lol, lots of people fail on interviews, be it in raid interviews (as im sure you know, i bet you get some very good apps in months behind only for them to be really quiet on vent for their interview, making you wonder if its the same person or not) or rl interviews.

Did you build this skill up over time from raid leading or, you always been like that from you real life job or something?

Ectar
01-22-2011, 02:43 AM
Good episode, but yeah the accent was bad, funny but bad. I'd give it about and "C-" :-)

Mordain
01-22-2011, 05:03 AM
Thanks for answering my question Lore, it's good to just get a fresh perspective on these things.

And yeah, the british accent was ok but the scottish one? ...ummm....yeeaaahhh....

Good episode, keep it up!

Uranos7
01-22-2011, 06:43 AM
Obviously your ancestors lied about their heritage and were actually BRITISH! :)
I am part brittish and the british accent was not bad; but I can say you don't have a scottish bone in your body.

TY again for a smashing episode! :p

PS: I have been in guild mergers that worked in casual raiding guilds but I agree that it would probably not go well in a hard-core guild.

penpen002
01-22-2011, 07:19 AM
Ionnu...sounds more Australian than British.

clvsutil
01-23-2011, 02:54 PM
I never noticed this before, but that small pause you drew attention to made me think, you don't really use a script to help you do you? how do you keep talking so fluidly for so long without forgetting what to say, i rarely see cuts/stops in your videos either you are literally sitting there talking non-stop for 25 mins.
Remember he had already selected the questions to answer. So his answers are in his mind.

Ciderhelm
01-23-2011, 03:08 PM
If you're a good talker and you are intimate with the subject matter, it's genuinely very easy to do an unscripted video or audio presentation.

Scripting comes into play when you want to condense a subject into very concise points and/or match the timing of a video presentation.

Ferim
01-23-2011, 03:12 PM
Hip Pocket Training, FTW, Ciderhelm. :)

Sleuth
01-24-2011, 06:39 AM
Since so many people seem to be confused here, I'll just go ahead and say it: There's no such thing as a single "British Accent".

The first accent was a bit of a London/Cockney accent (a.k.a. English, since London is in England) and the second one was more of an Edinburgh accent (Scottish) but sounded really bad. Perhaps we can have a Scot comment on what it sounds more like, but being from Nottingham I don't have the ear for that much detail on the Scottish accents.

Some great questions anyway. Guild/Raid leader questions are always helpful.

Helo
02-05-2011, 12:34 AM
I know he mentioned Big Brother and another poster mentioned RaidRx. I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in on the addon that I use. I use RaidBuffStatus. This checks not only flasks but also buffs and food prior to a fight. It also announces when feasts, refreshment tables, soul wells and repair bots are put down as well as when they are about to expire.

It also has some in-fight options. All of these options are configurable to warn yourself, warn the raid in chat or raid warning or warn your party. If you are the tank there is a section of warnings for you that include: taunt immune/resist/fail, failure to taunt swap, taunts to your target by a non-tank. There is a section for CC-breaks (you spank it, you tank it). Misdirection is also covered. And finally, death warnings split between tank, healer, melee DPS and range DPS.