PDA

View Full Version : Warrior Slam spam in 4.0.6 as opposed to a normal rotation.

gacktt
01-18-2011, 11:47 PM
How would a warrior fare with pure slams with colossus smash refreshing?

Slam does more damage than OP even counting in overpowered crit bonus(bout 10% better)
Rend is god awful damage per GCD, only for taste-o-blood.
Mortal strike is 50% more rage inefficient and does very slightly less damage.

Would blindly slam spamming be able to give you 15k+ DPS with the changes? I'm pretty sure slam also powers up lambs to the slaughter, if not then you can just MS every 13 seconds once 3-stack is up.

Khilbron
01-19-2011, 12:50 AM
No, because slamming delays your swing timer, and everytime you slam you push it back, if you endlessly spam slam you will constantly rage starve yourself. Slam is still best used as the filler attack when there is nothing else left to do, which is also replace by execute sub 20.

gacktt
01-19-2011, 01:15 AM
Slam only delays your auto swing timer by 15%, it still hits harder than MS and costs a ton less rage, but I suppose that small difference might equalize it to overpower maybe.

shiz98
01-19-2011, 11:35 AM
If you spam slam you're going to delay your autoswing by 50% in most cases.

Muffin Man
01-19-2011, 12:32 PM
Slam does more damage than OP even counting in overpowered crit bonus(bout 10% better)

Even including the +60% crit chance on OP (with additional deep wounds dmg)? I could believe that since Slam is getting massively buffed.

Also, unless things have changed, OP only triggers a 1 sec GCD rather than the 1.5 second all our other moves do (don't ask me why and I honestly haven't checked if it's still like this).

Oh and if we're taling about 4.0.6 changes, you'll still want to MS to keep up 3 stacks of Lambs to the Slaughter on your target. And if you're doing that you'll probably need the rage efficiency from Rend/OP.

marklar
01-20-2011, 03:01 PM
looking at my last logs, OP is worth about 2.5x more dps than slam (including GCD difference) and is 5x more rage efficient (even without figuring in the swing pause); is slam really getting buffed to the point of surpassing it?

MS has poor rage efficiency, but is used for it's multiple buffs. even if you just used MS enough to keep up LttS, you'd be giving up most of your wrecking crew buff and battle trance procs. i don't see any way it could come close.

Muffin Man
01-20-2011, 04:33 PM
Here are the slam changes:

Slam (http://db.mmo-champion.com/s/1464/slam/) now deals 175% weapon damage plus 748. Up from 125% weapon damage plus 538.

So that's what? A 40% buff? the scaling and initial damage buff makes me too lazy to figure out the increase.

gacktt
01-20-2011, 09:22 PM
It's only supposed to be 145%. But at 175% with LTTS/talents it would be doing 310% weapon damage + 1200 vs OP's flat 180% and mortal strike's 260%+600.

Muffin Man
01-20-2011, 11:08 PM
Ya, they buffed Slam twice, 120% -> 145% and now this one.

Still looks like you're overlooking the +60% crit on OP :p.

But then again you aren't adding in the War Academy or the Improved Slam bonus or Glyph of Slam.

So I think it's really (fuzzy math)
Overpower: 1.25 * 1.1 (glyph) * 1.3 (lambs) + the 60% crit bonus (taste for blood)
Slam (1.75 + base dmg) * 1.3 (lambs) * 1.15 (war academy) * 1.2 (imp slam) + 5% crit (glyph)

That's complicated... and then you have to compare OP's shorter GCD (can anyone confirm that's still true?) versus Slam's delaying of your swing timer.

But then if you go by Shiz's advice, you would be OP-ing from Battle Stance and Slamming from Berserker stance so again more numbers to crunch...

Of course going by Shiz's latest thread he still puts slam at the bottom priority wise.

You really can't take MS out of the rotation though, you need it for Battle Trance, Wrecking Crew and Lambs. So it's really between rend/op and slam.

If you're on the PTR you could try CS - MS - Slam - Slam in berserker stance and see if it beats the standard suggestion, but I suspect you'd need too much haste to have enough rage for that.

gacktt
01-21-2011, 12:53 AM
I suppose OP/slam rotation in berserker might be slightly better or close to the traditional rotation. However if OP is indeed 175% from datamining then there is no competition.

Mortal strike rage cost is reduced by 5, so now it should be cast on GCD regardless. Should be easier to do slam spam/MC+CS cooldown with the rage reduction.

Muffin Man
01-21-2011, 04:23 PM
Definitely depends on if the datamined info on Slam is correct, after all MMO-champion was horrifically wrong for HS before (93% ap scaling instead of 60%).

I'm actually shocked by how little actually buffs OP compared to Slam/MS.

Slam gets buffed by just about everything. I guess it's their knob for upping Fury *and* Arms at the same time.

I'm not really sure where I'm going with this, but if OP-less rotations end up working, then that really is nostalgic huh?

Not quite, Slam -> MS -> Slam -> x and watching swing timers anymore, but close.

gacktt
01-21-2011, 09:16 PM
Slam isn't really all that great in pvp thanks to the cast time, so it's a good way to adjust DPS. Also overpower is more of a pvp ability so it's not unusual if it's kicked out of our pve rotation in favor of the BC style arms.

shiz98
01-22-2011, 01:03 PM
As much as I'd love to see the old Imp. Slam rotation make a comeback, I seriously doubt Blizzard going to go that route :(. I'd bet money on OP being buffed if it falls out of the rotation -- otherwise, the Arms rotation wouldn't really click with the talent tree, which would really force some kind of redesign. Redesigning the Arms tree to handle a OP (and maybe Rend)-less rotation is likely just more work than just buffing OP for PvE.

gacktt
01-24-2011, 12:46 AM
well, overpower/taste for blood was originally just there to replace whirlwind for pvp. Old arms was just zerker stance, mortal strike slam. A less clunky and OCD rotation would be nice.

woodyman
01-24-2011, 04:53 AM
ive always really like the complications of the arms rotation, its kept me busy much like tanking which is why i chose it as my OS
Id like to see slam return to the rotation but i dont want to end up just mashing 2 abilities either :(

Kazeyonoma
01-24-2011, 12:20 PM
if i wanted a simple rotation i'd go fury, i like arms because of it's complexity, makes me feel like when id o good dps, i really contributed to it. I mean if i wanted to break meters and have it easy i would've rolled a caster in wotlk. ;P

marklar
01-27-2011, 02:25 PM
I'm actually shocked by how little actually buffs OP compared to Slam/MS.
I'm not really sure where I'm going with this, but if OP-less rotations end up working, then that really is nostalgic huh?
Not quite, Slam -> MS -> Slam -> x and watching swing timers anymore, but close.

Also overpower is more of a pvp ability so it's not unusual if it's kicked out of our pve rotation in favor of the BC style arms

OP is by far our best ability in so many ways - i don't think any of the upcoming slam buffs can change that. imo, part of the reason for the change is to stop people from using HS over slam.

Mortal strike rage cost is reduced by 5, so now it should be cast on GCD regardless.

it should be now.

A less clunky and OCD rotation would be nice.

the change to LttS will make the rotation flow a bit better. no longer worrying about getting LttS up before OP means one less thing to watch for.