PDA

View Full Version : Maloriak

Aliena
01-12-2011, 02:11 PM
uqvzlrq6J-Y

Hello, and welcome to Tankspot's Cataclysm Raid Guide. My name is Papapaint, and in this video I will be discussing the strategy for Maloriak in the Blackwing Descent Raid Instance.

Maloriak is a relatively straightforward fight that requires little more than proper coordination of your raid for one simple awareness phase and the final burn phase. In addition, there are adds that must be offtanked for a short while, as well as a couple spells requiring interruption. Don't be too intimidated, though... at its core, this encounter is a tank and spank.

First, it's important to assign players to interrupt Arcane Storm. You can increase the cast time of this ability with Slow or Curse of Tongues (etc.), so be sure to assign someone to toss that on as well. Arcane Storm is a channeled AoE that can quickly wipe the raid if not interrupted. You will also need an offensive dispeller to remove Remedy, a heal over time spell Maloriak will occasionally cast on himself. It heals for increasingly larger amounts the longer it's on him, so get rid of it as quickly as possible.

During Phase 1, Maloriak will occasionally run to his cauldron and toss in one of three vials: red, green, and blue. Each vial causes him to gain new abilities unique to that color, so be aware of what he's selecting and respond appropriately. Whenever Maloriak tosses in a Red Vial, he will gain the abilities Scorching Blast and Consuming Flames. Consuming Flames is a small Damage over Time spell that becomes significantly more dangerous if the affected player takes any other magic damage. Scorching Blast is an AoE frontal cone fire spell that splits its damage amongst all players in range. Have your raid stack up, and the player with scorching blast can simple run out. Face Maloriak to the raid, heal through the fire damage, and the phase is trivial.

When he tosses in a Blue Vial, he gains the abilities Flash Freeze and Biting Chill. Biting chill causes a single player to deal frost damage to all other players within 6 yards, so have the ranged be spread out and assign an area for melee to run when this ability affects them. Flash Freeze will encase a player and all players within 6 yards in a block of ice which must be broken in order to free the player. They have fairly low health, so a few quick hits will do the trick.

Every third vial is sure to be a Green Vial. Maloriak will coat everything in the room with Debilitating Slime, increasing Damage Taken by 100%. This is your solution to dealing with the adds. During the fight, Maloriak will cast "Release Abberations," releasing three adds at a time. These adds take significantly reduced damage unless under the effect of Debilitating Slime, so your best bet is to have a tank round them up and hold them until the Green Vial phase. There are 18 adds total that can be released, and you only want two Green Vials in order to beat the enrage timer. Allow him to release 9 adds before each Green Vial, and then interrupt any additional casts of "Release Abberations" until Green Vial is cast again and your raid can AoE down the mobs.

During the final phase, he releases two adds called Prime Subjects. These need to be picked up quickly, as they will lock on to their target a few seconds after being released and fixate on them until death. Have the tank pick these up, and your raid can comfortably ignore them to focus on burning down Maloriak. Maloriak will cast lines of fire at your tank, so face him towards the wall, slowly kite him around the room, and ensure that no one is standing behind the tank. There are also two AoEs going out in the form of Absolute Zero and Poison Nova. Poison Nova is a small dot that must simply be healed through, while Absolute Zero summons a void zone under a player, producing an orb that will explode if a player touches it.

This fight sounds significantly more complicated than it actually is. I'll provide footage of the entire fight with some commentary, simplifying the strategy discussion along with comments on how we handled each phase.

Thanks for watching this guide. To stay up-to-date on Cataclysm raid information, subscribe to this channel and look for updates on encounter guides, including heroic mode raid guides. As always, feel free to ask questions or leave comments either on youtube or the official strategy thread on tankspot.com (http://tankspot.com/).

Kinch
01-12-2011, 03:47 PM
Should mention Growth Catalyst on the Aberrations, which increase damage 20 percent for every ally within 10 yards. I doubt you really want to single tank nine of them unless Debilitating Slime is up.

Release Aberrations is a 1-second cast, so it's not exactly ho-hum, interrupt it. If you're tasked with the decision to stop it or let it go, you can't really afford to be seeing the Arcane Storm cast as well. You just don't have the time (at least I don't, unless I start taking some serious drugs) to identify then make the decision to interrupt.

Papapaint
01-12-2011, 04:30 PM
Should mention Growth Catalyst on the Aberrations, which increase damage 20 percent for every ally within 10 yards. I doubt you really want to single tank nine of them unless Debilitating Slime is up.

It's mentioned, as is the two-tank strategy. It's possible with one, and we've killed it with one twice now on 25.

Release Aberrations is a 1-second cast, so it's not exactly ho-hum, interrupt it. If you're tasked with the decision to stop it or let it go, you can't really afford to be seeing the Arcane Storm cast as well. You just don't have the time (at least I don't, unless I start taking some serious drugs) to identify then make the decision to interrupt.

Curse of tongues or slow, and you can also just make the decision to allow him to cast it 3 times then interrupt everything he does.

Meloree
01-12-2011, 05:38 PM
Also note: A stop DPS call is required before the 2nd green phase if your raid dps is high. You can see we stop in the video for about 45 seconds.

You really want to get that second green phase. The DPS check on phase one (transitioning shortly after the second green) isn't very stressful to begin with. But tanking the two final adds with three or four aberrations makes phase two pretty eventful.

Kinch
01-12-2011, 10:08 PM
It's possible with one, and we've killed it with one twice now on 25.

Straight-up tank, or DK kiting?

Papapaint
01-12-2011, 10:27 PM
Straight-up tank, or DK kiting?

Straight up tank. Rotate cooldowns, throw a couple extra healers on him. Some light kiting when the damage got high, but it was our pally tank.

krilz
01-13-2011, 03:59 AM
Some pointers if you're attempting this on 10 man:

Affliction warlocks rule here. Not only can they cast Curse of Tongues on boss for helping with interrupts, but they can also cast a Curse of Elements on one of the adds with Jinx which will increase damage taken on pretty much everything in the room which helps a lot. Also, the Felhunter has an automatic purge so it removes the buff on Maloriak instantly whenever it comes up so you won't have to worry about it. Not to mention that they also have an interrupt (which they can use on Release Abberations) and Soulburn: SoC which is great for dealing with the adds; just use it on Maloriak first to get a Corruption on all the adds each and then spam SoC on Maloriak himself.

We use a protection warrior for kiting. The hunter puts up a frost trap, the tank lures in the adds in to the middle and then runs in circles around it, effectively slowing down all adds. If you don't have a hunter, the warrior can use Piercing Howl instead. Shockwave also helps for creating large distances when slow effects runs out.

The biggest thing you need to wary of is if Flash Freeze ends up on the kiter. If you're not quick enough, all the adds will run up to him and smash his face in. Here Shadowfury is good for stunning all of them, Guardian Spirit/Pain Suppression in relieving damage and so on.

All in all, not a hard but very fun fight.

klausi
01-13-2011, 04:36 AM
Also note: A stop DPS call is required before the 2nd green phase if your raid dps is high. You can see we stop in the video for about 45 seconds..
I argue on this, we just killed him last night with 12/6 adds on 10 man (3 healed him) and didn't wait for another green phase, hunter kept throwing frosttraps and i kited both huge adds and the six smaller ones until the boss was dead. Not a big deal even w/o an external cooldown, just popped shieldwall when the rend-ish stacks of the bigger adds got higher (~8) and used shockwave/leap excessivley.

Daimon
01-13-2011, 08:01 AM
If using 2 tanks, and if available, a prot warr makes the adds very easy to OT, they are stunnable. Its not necessary to push 2nd phase before 2nd green vial, and I'd advice against it, makes 2nd phase unnecessarily harder. Also, the 2nd phase starts at 25%, not 20% like some guides say, at least in 10m.
The abilities you must interrupt are split in a way you only need 1 kicker for each, with an Arcane mage or CoT makes kicking very easy.

Hejgaard
01-13-2011, 08:40 AM
We are killing this boss with 2 tanks, 2 healers (Rshaman+Hpala), and 6 dps (1 staying on the boss at all time).
This fight is all about interupts! You will need 9 adds every green phase, so make sure that you have assigned some1 hitcapped to interupt the add spell. (we had a warrior do it, while our other dps + me as resto shaman helped on storm). Don't get more or less than 9 adds! AOE is limited to 10 targets only, so if you don't have insane AOE dmg, you will have a hard time getting 12 adds down before the green phase is over. Its important to keep the interupts up while in the green phase (I was on the storm, and our warrior was on the add-spell) to prevent adds from spawning while we were AOE'ing down the other adds.
We had a mage spellsteal the buff, but just get it off tbh, it heals ALOT!
If you can handle the interupts and the adds, this is fairly easy fight, and make sure to stop dmg on him so you dont trigger 25 % before 2. green and you should have a kill.
Make sure to bring a hunter to help you add-tank :)
Good Luck!

Irbi
01-14-2011, 08:07 AM
Great guide - thank you for taking the time to put it together.

"Scorching Blast is an AoE frontal cone fire spell that splits its damage amongst all players in range. Have your raid stack up, and the player with scorching blast can simple run out."

I'm confused why the person targeted with Scorching Blast would run out of the group. If this is shared damage - everyone should stay clumped together?

Did you mean the person with Consuming Flames can run out (they would take a ton of damage otherwise)?

"Allow him to release 9 adds before each Green Vial"

I may have missed this - but I don't think the guide mentions why you want to allow him to release 9 at a time. Some people may be asking themselves why not just interrupt everything he does?

As the guide mentions - you only want 9 adds per green vial (and you only want green vial to happen twice 18 adds total) When the boss gets below 25% if the number of adds he released does not add up to 18 - he will release all remaining adds in addition to the Prime Subjects.

Dyvine
01-14-2011, 08:17 AM
Just wondering what the addon is for the range check. Is that Hud Map with some changes made by the user?

zebrahed
01-14-2011, 10:47 AM
Our 10m raid did this in about 5-6 tries. Our 25m was struggling to get anywhere, using the same tactics.

Suddenly someone decided to have one of our tanks go back from being dps, to tank (a laughable ret paladin :P). 2 add tanks makes that portion of the encounter trivial, as the tanks take marginal amounts of damage when they have smaller packs on them.

We still call for dps stop until the second green phase, and have yet to have problems with hitting enrage. Just less to worry about going into the last phase, which can be fairly hectic with all the things to dodge.

edit:
Also; when hit by an ice block, you take damage in the area of like 50k. When you're broken out, you take the same damage again, so the person needs to receive a heal or two before being broken out. If you target someone as soon as they're frozen and hit the block, you run the risk of killing them if they are too low after both of those. Shouldn't happen that often, since the raid damage is minimal in that phase, with basically just arcane storm ticking for a few, and biting cold. But it can happen.

re: releasing adds. if you release all 9 in the first 3 casts, your OT will take more damage for the duration of the first red/blue/green phase. if you interrupt one in between at some point, they'll take less damage since they'll be tanking 1/2 packs for a bit of time, and then finally get the 3rd pack for only a small portion of the phase. the damage increases with more adds, so tanking 3 total packs for less time will decrease damage, and lower a chance that he'll die after getting caught in a block while tanking the 9 adds, or some other disaster :P if you 2 tank this on 25m, you can ignore, and just let the first 3 release, and interrupt all the casts until after the green phase, in which you can just ignore the remainder of the casts altogether.

Kinch
01-14-2011, 11:32 AM
I think you still need to interrupt Release Aberrations after 18 have been released. More will be summoned if you let it go. The 18, I believe, is just the number you need to release before 25 percent in order not to have more released in the final phase.

Predakhan
01-14-2011, 03:07 PM
I think you still need to interrupt Release Aberrations after 18 have been released. More will be summoned if you let it go. The 18, I believe, is just the number you need to release before 25 percent in order not to have more released in the final phase.

Nope, he casts something that releases all the remaining abberations and there are only 18 total be released unless you are talking about heroic mode which I am not sure the differences between reg and heroic yet.

smep
01-19-2011, 03:28 AM
Hi guys, Smep here again to account for all the reasons why I failed to successfully down this encounter last night. These are a few things that caught me off guard the first time, that I wish I'd known going into it, so hopefully some of this information is valuable to you.

1) Picking up the Aberrations wasn't as easy as swiping and thrashing a bit. They can randomly spawn on two different sides of the room, so be ready to move if you have to.

1a) Going off of that, after being relieved of my horrific add-tanking duties, I realized that the MT/anyone looking at Maloriak during the cast can see where those spawns are going to come from. For a half-second jump on where they're spawning from, look for the pink lightning animation, and that's where the Aberrations will spawn.

2) The Green Vial phase doesn't last nearly as long as I thought it would. I don't think I was adequately expressing the importance of AoE damage during the green phase, but we'd get out of the phase with 3-4 Aberrations at about 10% life coming out of it... so, seriously... do AoE damage damnit!

3) Since I'm a bear, I figured I could pop Berserk, help out with adds, and do a boatload of DPS with Mangle. But also as the main Release-interruptor, I failed to realize that he still casts Release Aberrations during that green phase. That pooped on us at least once.

hope this helps.

Illidra
01-19-2011, 03:50 AM
took us a logn time but we did it this way:

interupt the frist abberation cast he does (red/blue)
let the next 3 through ( red/blue)

keep interupting in green.

interupt his 1st abberation cast after green ( red/blue)
let the next 3 through (red/blue)

use curse of tongues/ necrotic strike to slow cast speed and make abberations easier to interupt.

we use hero in the second green phase so we can blitz straight through to release all minions then use traps to kite anythign left over and stomp the boss in the face

ximera
01-19-2011, 10:45 AM
I had an additional question. During the final last 25% when maloriak throws the line of fire, as the MT i kept getting knocked up into the air and taking pretty substantial fall damage. Is there an animation I should be looking for so that I can just move to the side and avoid it, or is it unavoidable damage that just needs to be healed through. He does seem to raid his arm before doing it. I could not see well enough on the video. thanks

Kinch
01-19-2011, 12:30 PM
He raises his left arm before casting it. There's a video on YouTube showing it, but I can't find it atm.

Edit: Here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHxwt8CqgaQ

Predakhan
01-19-2011, 12:35 PM
I had an additional question. During the final last 25% when maloriak throws the line of fire, as the MT i kept getting knocked up into the air and taking pretty substantial fall damage. Is there an animation I should be looking for so that I can just move to the side and avoid it, or is it unavoidable damage that just needs to be healed through. He does seem to raid his arm before doing it. I could not see well enough on the video. thanks

If you are getting knocked into the air then you are running into the white(ish) orbs that appear in the room during that phase. They can be really hard to see with all the fire etc.

Bladesong
01-19-2011, 04:08 PM
If you are getting knocked into the air then you are running into the white(ish) orbs that appear in the room during that phase. They can be really hard to see with all the fire etc.

Until seeing the video that Kinch posted, I didn't realize I could dodge the fire before it was cast - nothing is said in the original video about dodging it, so I stood still and took the initial hit rather than risk aiming it at someone. If you do take the initial hit, you will always get popped up into the air and will take a large, but survivable amount of falling damage. The last phase will be much easier for my healer next time :D

Illidra
01-21-2011, 06:40 AM
So last night maloriak was proving a big pain in the ass.

since hotfixes he now not only can, but seems to prioritise the main tank as the target of the fire debuff.

4 wipes from having no choice but sit in the stack and explode or be one shot by his flame blast

Mangea
01-23-2011, 03:37 PM
Papapaint's voice scared me when I started watching the video.

Briskk
01-23-2011, 09:49 PM
My guilds currently having concerns about this fight, because of our raid composition.

My question is, how can we do this fight with....

1 Tank Dk
1 Dps unholy/frost Dk
1 Dps warrior
1 Tank prot warrior
1 priest holy healer
2 paladins healing
1 ret paladin
1 fire mage
1 ele shaman

any advice on how we could do this would be great, we tried having the blood dk tank the adds but slowing them was an issue. we also had the warrior try to tank adds but then aggro was sorta of an issue. any easier way for us to do this? Thanks for the advice in advance!

smep
01-24-2011, 03:10 AM
@ Briskk

I don't have either in my group, so that's troublesome for me, but just working with what you have, I think you need to utilize the warrior and mage in a manner that maybe you hadn't thus far.

The warrior should be okay with threat because of shockwave and thunderclap. Admittedly, I got dropped from tanking adds because I sucked at getting them all, but I dunno if he could manage with maybe a leap or charge or something like that. If he can manage to get threat on them all, the fact that they're stunable means he can get big gaps in between them.

As for the mage, make him spec frost to help handle the add kiting. The only real stress on this fight is if you happen to have your tank actually tanking all nine adds, that can hurt. The rest of the mechanics should be handleable.

just my $.02. I don't blame you if you disregard this as I have no real experience with either class in Cata-raiding.

iots
01-24-2011, 04:55 AM
It is not required to kite the adds, it helps for healers but you can most often tank them with smart interrupting + cd usage. Here's how we normally do it.

Have a tank on adds that can stun/root them (i myself can root 2-3 with as a druid, and paladins+warriors can aoestun[note: this is a mere breather for healers to slow down incoming dmg]), but save those abilities untill you have 6 adds or more. The key is smart interrupting.

Interrupt everything untill first vial phase comes up, then let ONE summon through, interrupt everything untill the second vial phase starts, then let all summons through. the casts are timed so that you get the last 3rd wave awhile before the green vial phase starts. Due to the tank add needing to gather the adds + tanking 9 adds at that time. It is required for all healers to 'spam' said tank as much as they can during and start of green vial phase. (there's a short gap where you got 9x buff on the adds + 9 of them hitting them the add tank so he will take a beating)

Coordinate with tank+healer to use either tank's cooldown on first green vial phase, and healers on 2nd green vial phase, to ensure they stay alive also.

Also, have the MT (who has the boss) make sure to interrupt a summon being cast while green vial starts/is on. To let all your dps focus on aoe'ing the adds down.

Wait for the second round of blue/red vial phases to start and repeat.

Onyxstar
01-24-2011, 05:29 AM
It should also be worth mentioning here if you're having problems with Remedy being dispelled and have a warlock available, use the felhunter.

Briskk
01-24-2011, 06:30 PM
@ Briskk

I don't have either in my group, so that's troublesome for me, but just working with what you have, I think you need to utilize the warrior and mage in a manner that maybe you hadn't thus far.

The warrior should be okay with threat because of shockwave and thunderclap. Admittedly, I got dropped from tanking adds because I sucked at getting them all, but I dunno if he could manage with maybe a leap or charge or something like that. If he can manage to get threat on them all, the fact that they're stunable means he can get big gaps in between them.

As for the mage, make him spec frost to help handle the add kiting. The only real stress on this fight is if you happen to have your tank actually tanking all nine adds, that can hurt. The rest of the mechanics should be handleable.

just my $.02. I don't blame you if you disregard this as I have no real experience with either class in Cata-raiding.

Thanks for the advice, i was thinking about having our ranged kill the first set of mobs, then kill 6 when the green phase comes, maybe that would ease up dmg on the tank and make it easier.

Right now people are saying our raid comp. won't be able to do this fight, but im thinking blizz made it so almost every raid comp. could do it with ease if you use the right method, what are your thoughts on that?

Brainsaw
01-24-2011, 09:11 PM
We got our Maloriak kill yesterday after spending a day of wipes with too little progress. So in order to help those still stuck, here are some helpful tips:

DKs can use AMS to ignore consuming flames and dance in the breath. Just pop AMS when the debuff is on roughly 4s left.
Have the OT tank adds until all 9 are up. Then pop CDs and kite during green phase. Warrior OT rocks (shockwave, leap, etc). We found interrupting first release->let 3 casts through->interrupt all, worked best for us.
If OT has threat issues, ban all AoE before green phase. Starfall was our problem. Threat was easy for our warrior OT after this.
If some adds get loose, stay relaxed. A stray add hits for 3k or something so nothing stressful. We had our MT tank any stray adds until the OT picked them up (<3 vigilance).
Consuming Flames was totally random for us. When I (DK MT) got it, I popped AMS with 4s on debuff (just before breath) and took neglible dmg. This was a HUGE stress relief for us.
Ignore all releases after first green phase. By the time the last wave is released, green phase is near. He will still cast releases, but they will do nothing.
Adds buff the boss as well if nearby. You will notice him becoming taller if it happens. If MT dmg seems a problem in green phase, it might help to tank boss away from adds.
Designate a spot for kiting & nuking adds during green phase. Frost trap on that mark worked well.
Maloriak tends to cast Arcane Storm @ start of green phase (slightly after landing near stairs). Make sure to keep this in mind and interrupt asap.

Hopefully someone can use this info. It certainly was for us after figuring out what went wrong before.

@Brissk: your setup is pretty similar to ours. Put the DK on boss and the warrior as OT. Ban AoE before green phase (important) and adds will stick to your warrior. We had 1 DPS stay on the boss during the first green phase to interrupt releases. The MT interrupted Arcane Storm (have a backup ranged interrupt though). WoL can be found here (http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/3cdjqkkh8kbwl5ui/).

[Edit] To provide some detailed tips to your raidsetup: I'd put the ret pala on release interrupt duty during first green phase. Make sure your mage spellsteals maloriaks hot and use ele shammy for ranged backup interrupt (arcane storm). Let your DK go frost and spec chillblains to allow kiting for your OT. Shammy could put earthbind totem as well, but frost DK is much better. Ensure your OT uses shockwave and shield block when he has 9 adds before green phase. Save shieldwall for green phase if possible (but still kite adds). Just focus all efforts on add control in that fight first. Once you get that down, the kill is close ;) Hunters are awesome here (for add slowing) but hardly required. You simply need 1 reliable source of kiting during green phase.

Onyxstar
01-25-2011, 02:41 PM
The timers are currently different for this fight.

We've noticed a change on the enrage timer for our 25 man guild, which may very well be a hotfix but we can't find anything confirming or denying this:

Upon analyzing logs, I have found that Blizzard may have unintentionally changed the enrage on 25man while increasing the enrage on 10man. The 10man Enrage when from being 6 minute enrage, to on the 21st, being a 7 minute enrage.

Here's the logs. Pardon if there's duplicates, there's EU and US servers to prove it's not just an EU or US thing.

10-man Normal, Successful Kills:
1/19 (6:10, Enrage): http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/hg9x01tnz4ttv2o1/details/148/?s=11976&e=12347
1/20 (6:10 Enrage): http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/ab7iqa3noi90dw5t/details/10/?s=892&e=1263
*1/21 (6:10 No Enrage): http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/otlyixg4ysbi5vr3/details/109/?s=20532&e=20902
1/22 (6:10 No Enrage): http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/fljgulndi8gxjoen/details/81/?s=30340&e=30711
1/23 (7:15 Enrage): http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-58f3cxgmuucceunj/details/15/?s=8988&e=9424
1/23 (7:15 Enrage): http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/tzb8h6yoo954g0vp/details/187/?s=11087&e=11522

25-man Normal, Successful Kills:
EU Servers:
1/19 (9:19, Enrage): http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-ybp18ug64zwbm3zl/details/120/?s=5416&e=5975
1/20 (9:15, Enrage): http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/vfdfnkuoid5nfz40/details/140/?s=6613&e=7169
*1/21 (8: 16: No Enrage, berserk is at 9 Minutes): http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/el8isqiyilykiu5n/details/128/?s=9114&e=9610
1/23 (7:16, Enrage): http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/01mvwjz6n5gwfp9r/details/47/?s=2036&e=2473

Taiwan - I only included Taiwan because I actually saw them in the sorted list... and in the same time range for 1/21 as US and EU.
*1/21: (8:14 No Enrage): http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/bc2zj9s4n9vrv7t5/details/134/?s=8720&e=9214

US Servers:
1/19 (9:17, Enrage): http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/etsfdzi97bre0e3y/details/26/?s=9086&e=9643
1/20 (9:18, Enrage): http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-5h1jpoz462kjr66u/details/55/?s=6213&e=6771
*1/21 (8:18, No Enrage, berserk is still at 9 Minutes): http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/ycvqod957sm9ndxo/details/97/?s=6424&e=6915
1/23 (7:18, Enrage): http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/ya9ndg01sopt4248/details/101/?s=3265&e=3703

I currently have a post on the bug forum to confirm or deny, but no blue response yet.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1965987257

Any assistance with getting a blue's attention would be greatly appreciated.

Sifer
01-25-2011, 04:08 PM
A warrior is as mentioned an awesome OT.

Vigilence on the MT and you get regular taunt refreshs not to mention some vengence to start tanking the adds with.

Rend on one add and then thunder clap when the other adds come close. throw/taunt adds spawning on the opposite side.

We found tank damage to be pretty intense when we first started our tries weeks back.

However we assigned 1 dps in this case a tank in dps gear to stick on the adds following the green phase to make sure all the low hp adds died rather than just adding to the next waves.

1 other key part of our stratergy was to go with 2 healers.

one of our holy paladins actually had good prot gear so became our second tank.

This helped with getting the adds down quicker, downing the boss before enrage and also gave us our free dps to finish off the low hp adds.

Strange how it worked out for a kill with so many changes to the setup I thought we would have for the kill.

Fetzie
01-25-2011, 04:45 PM
Onyxstar why would they change on raid size's berserk timer without the intention of changing the other? Also where is the change documented, as we killed him at 6:38 this evening.

Onyxstar
01-25-2011, 08:01 PM
First, if you doubt me, please check the logs above. Second, originally, 10 man was 6, and 25 was 9. (Check those logs, I spent a great deal of time digging through many logs to find this data with the relative dates) -

there was a change.. look at Maloriak- and see when he casts berserk.

Documented? no, other than parses, I can't find a single patch note, but it's on the US Official Forums in the Raid/Dungeon section. I'm only after clarification. We completed this boss tonight, but what I want to know is was truly blizzard's intentions to increase the 10 man enrage by 1 minute, and decrease the 25 man by 2 minutes.. That's why I was asking, and why I would really prefer acknowledgment that yes, it should be this way, or no, we messed up again - and meant to only decrease it by 1 minutes.

I can't find it in any single patch note, which meant it was a hotfix or stealth - I'd just like to know if it was intentional or not. I could see splitting the difference, or even decreasing by a minute or what not, I'd have to crunch the numbers to see if it is the same type of dps requirement.

But you can check logs, and there is a difference - if the timer was still at 6 minutes, was he enraged? or are you in a 25 man guild? If it's the latter, you wouldn't see it unless you intentionally pushed him past the 7 minute mark, which I personally wouldn't do just to prove a point.

gacktt
01-25-2011, 09:05 PM
Well to be fair the 10man enrage timer was pretty strict, if you did not kill the 2nd green wave adds in the 15 seconds you run a serious risk of auto-wiping to berserk(if you do not have a good aoe set up), while the 25man enrage timer was a complete joke.

Onyxstar
01-25-2011, 10:23 PM
It's not a QQ over the timer, I just want a confirmation that the intention was to change both timers to 7 minutes. I can't find that, and it seems that while it may have been needed for the 10 man, they have made it pretty strict on 25 man in the process. Either way, I honestly just want confirmation that "it's working as intended".

Fledern
01-26-2011, 05:18 AM
Killed this yesterday. 2 tanks, 3 healers, 5 dps (2 ranged, 3 melee). This is how we handled adds:

We let the first summon go through. I, warrior tank, tanked those. We interrupted the second summon. One ranged dps helped - only slightly - with the adds. Liberal use of rend, thunderclap boosted shockwaves and that little ranged help got the first pack either dead or close to dead by the time the 3rd summon was let through. I killed whatever remained of the first pack while tanking the second pack, using victory rush to ease up the healing. 4th summon came just before the green vial phase & we easily burnt down the 6 pack.

I write as if it went smoothly, it didnt. On multiple pulls, the first summon was interrupted by the boss running to cast a vial, that threw off the timing. Still, even if you get 9 adds on you, the ones from the first pack should be low on health, if you pop some cds and concentrate on those with low health, the 3 victory rush procs add enough healing to take the worry off.

On the other hand, grabbing those 2 adds on last phase before they fixate on somebody else was considerably difficult. They spawn from across the room and sometimes i wasnt fast enough.

One other problem i faced was with picking up the adds. Healing aggro was so high that my usual tclap wasnt enough to pick up the adds as they spawned. So, tclap 2 & charge the 3rd wasnt always enough. Vigilance on the MT for taunt refreshes is a godsend.

Fetzie
01-26-2011, 05:26 AM
I was not aware than the 25 man version had had a 9 minute berserk timer, but the 6 minute ten man one was definitely beatable. I have also not been able to find a patch note or hotfix note saying that Maloriak's berserktimer had been changed, indeed I was extremely surprised that our second raid was still alive after 6:10 (the longest we ever took past the berserk in the first raid) and that he STILL had not berserked by 6:38 when we killed him yesterday.

As such I cannot say whether the buff to 25 man was warranted or not, but the nerf to ten man was absolutely not. It required perfect play in the second green phase and the burn phase, but that is OK in my eyes.

6 min berserk:http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/zsf9nz46hsxu3f0p/details/71/?s=2598&e=2969#tab-auras
non-berserk kill @ 6:38: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/myokvxo5bt4tuura/details/34/?s=8259&e=8657#tab-auras

Onyxstar
01-28-2011, 08:59 AM
Patch notes went out- the enrage is 7 minutes for 10/25.

Tsy
02-01-2011, 08:21 AM
During the final phase, he releases two adds called Prime Subjects. These need to be picked up quickly, as they will lock on to their target a few seconds after being released and fixate on them until death. Have the tank pick these up, and your raid can comfortably ignore them to focus on burning down Maloriak. Maloriak will cast lines of fire at your tank, so face him towards the wall, slowly kite him around the room, and ensure that no one is standing behind the tank. There are also two AoEs going out in the form of Absolute Zero and Poison Nova. Poison Nova is a small dot that must simply be healed through, while Absolute Zero summons a void zone under a player, producing an orb that will explode if a player touches it.]

So during phase 2, he no longer tries to summon the smaller adds (assuming he's summoned 18 adds already), and the vial mechanics are not a consideration anymore? And this occurs at 25%?

And what about Arcane Storm and Remedy, are these still factors in P2?

Kinch
02-01-2011, 09:38 AM
P2 starts with Maloriak casting Release All Minions (at 25% health). No more vials, no more Arcane Storm. Remedy continues to be cast.

Brainsaw
02-02-2011, 07:55 AM
So during phase 2, he no longer tries to summon the smaller adds (assuming he's summoned 18 adds already), and the vial mechanics are not a consideration anymore? And this occurs at 25%?

And what about Arcane Storm and Remedy, are these still factors in P2?
He doesn't cast releases and arcane storm anymore in p2. Like kinch said, he will release all remaining adds though, but they should already be dead.

Also, after all 18 adds are released, you can totally ignore releases. He will still do the cast in p1, but it'll have no effect.

Also handy, in case you missed it: in p2 the boss shoots lines of fire @tank. These knock him up in the air for a LOT of dmg. However, that is avoidable and it's very important your tank learns this. The trick is to watch Maloriak: when he puts 1 arm in the air, move sideways fast! The lines will hit the old location, so no huge dmg spike. Just make sure the tank isn't standing too close to the wall or it'll be hard to see Maloriak for him. Ofc some ranged shouting when to move works as well ;)

I kept dying after getting hit 3 times by the flames and kept wondering when/how to dodge it. After I noticed the post here about his arm I tried it out and got a perfect dodge streak the 2nd try :)

Tsy
02-02-2011, 08:15 AM
Thanks Kinch and Brainsaw for the clarification; we are going to put in some attempts this week on the boss, and I just wanted to have as much information as possible. Excellent insight on the phase2 portion as well!

Tricky557
02-02-2011, 07:50 PM
If Slow and Curse of Tounges work to slow the cast times of Maloriak's Arcane Storm, it's worth mentioning that a Death Knight's Necrotic Strike will also probably work to slow the cast time(It increases cast times by 30% and absorbs some healing).

creepy_inc
02-06-2011, 10:37 AM
If Slow and Curse of Tounges work to slow the cast times of Maloriak's Arcane Storm, it's worth mentioning that a Death Knight's Necrotic Strike will also probably work to slow the cast time(It increases cast times by 30% and absorbs some healing).

This was already mentioned and yes it works fine

Broot
02-07-2011, 06:30 AM
We tried Mal a couple of times last Thursday with little success (it was towards the end of our raid night). We've decided to try something a little different tonite, I (DK) will be tanking the adds by using Blood Presence with my Frost PvP spec (lots of lovely slows and runic power generation). The plan is to use Blood Presence to hold aggro while hitting the adds with Howling Blast to both damage and slow the adds (Also makes it easy to pick them up when they spawn across the room). Once the adds are aggro'd/slowed I'll just kite them around until the green phase. The hope is that this will both reduce the strain on healers and keep the adds bunched up for the AoE phase.

Thoughts?

(Also, we use this same idea on Magmaw and his adds and it works wonders)

Brainsaw
02-14-2011, 08:18 AM
Well, it all depends on what your problem is really. Are you guys having aggro issues on adds, does the add tank keep dying (if so, how many adds) or does it appear to be something else?

Tbh I'd prefer a DK tank on Maloriak instead of adds. I'm a DK tank myself and have tried add tanking in regukar spec and frost kiting spec. However, I would not advice the frost kiting for a number of reasons.

First of, the dmg becomes extremely spikey: eventually you will reach points where you have no frost runes left and/or get dazed. At that time the adds will pound you and you have no means of escape. Second, during green phase you'll receive double dmg and actually prolong the fight because the adds can't be aoe'd down fast (after all, you're on the move). Trying to tank the adds at this point will be hard as well since you miss quite a few mitigation tricks. And that's without taking into consideration the random debuffs Maloriak uses that can quickly turn this into a nightmare.

In the end it boils down to this: during green phase you try to avoid moving adds too much. The boss doesn't hit that much (unless you're slow @arcane storm or have many adds nearby) so healing the MT should be fairly easy. Even more so with a DK tank that pops AMS when he gets the fire debuff (turns it harmless really). If your healers feel the raid & mt require a lot of healing, something isn't done right. If the add tank is the problem remember: adds buff nearby friendly units. Tanking 3 is peanuts, 6 are about boss lvl (doable), 9 are deadly. Focus mainly on kiting on 9 adds and try to get the last 3 as late as possible. Pop CDs during green phase and it should be a lot easier.

Twf
02-16-2011, 03:23 AM
Thanks for the vid. We got him down in 3 trys.
Really helped!

Yoakie
02-22-2011, 05:17 AM
I would use a DK with spec Frost and use Frost Fever with Chillblains talented (there is a good guide about this at http://25man.com/cata-guides/maloriak). It also depends if you are doing the 10 or 25man encounter. In 25man you can use two tanks and have an equal amount of adds on both tanks. If your tanks are geared enough they can just tank the adds (so they do not have to be kited).

As soon as the green potion is dropped in the cauldron you should start DPS on the adds. Especially demology warlocks are very helpfull here.

Kinch
02-22-2011, 09:17 AM
Second, during green phase you'll receive double dmg and actually prolong the fight because the adds can't be aoe'd down fast (after all, you're on the move). Trying to tank the adds at this point will be hard as well since you miss quite a few mitigation tricks. And that's without taking into consideration the random debuffs Maloriak uses that can quickly turn this into a nightmare.

You might be missing something in green phase. Debilitating Slime suppresses Growth Catalyst, so you're not taking double the damage from the adds compared to red and blue (but everyone IS dealing double). Bring everything on the boss, AOE.

Our add tanks in this parse are Hagarn and Ellyndrial. Debilitating Slime is cast at 19:18:33 and 19:21:02. Look at the incoming damage. It's especially striking during the second green phase.

Kerchunk
03-21-2011, 12:47 AM
Our guild is having problems mainly on the add tank. At 9 adds the damage is cruel; even with kiting it seems there's always some point at which he's taking hits.

My question is, until our gear level rises a bit or we recruit better kiters, would it be feasible to DPS down one of the adds after a cast of Release Aberrations? It doesn't seem like our DPS is going to run into the enrage - we've had him below 5% a couple times and I think we still had plenty of time on the timer.

So, my thought is on the first 1-2 casts of Release Aberrations we have a plate DPS pull one of the Aberrations while the OT picks up 2. DPS turns and burns the Aberration.

So instead of 9 adds we end up with 7-8 total which is fewer stacks of GC to deal with right?

Not an ideal strategy I realize, but seems like a potential stop-gap to deal with our most common point of failure which is OT death.

Specifically, this is the sequence I hope to try. It basically sets up a 2 add stack for as long as possible during both phases, which should ease strain on healers as well:

Release Abberations Interrupt Cycle:
Allow (3) - DPS one down
Interrupt
Allow (5)
Allow (8)
Interrupt during Green Phase, AoE
Allow (3) - DPS one down
Interrupt
Allow the rest... (5, 8)

swollenpickles
04-20-2011, 08:44 PM
I tried Maloriak for the first time on the weekend and was on 'release aberrations' interrupt duty. Does anyone know if the cast time on this is bugged? There were times when the cast bar basically just flashed up on the screen without running the full length yet the adds still released. It was as if it was an instant cast at random intervals. Has anyone else encountered this? Could it be an addon issue (I'm using quartz for cast bars)?

DarkDrood
05-22-2011, 01:54 PM
i've been managing a thread on my guild's website with all the current normal/HM encounters and i was hoping there was an up-to-date heroic maloriak thread that maybe i'm just missing. i currently have a youtube video posted but i was hoping to find something more in depth.

SnaffOz
06-11-2011, 11:16 AM
anyone else notice the person narrating the encounter is using a voice mode to amplify the deepness in his voice ?