PDA

View Full Version : Tanking DK vs Paladin - A question of style...

laeelin
01-12-2011, 09:27 AM
I'm trying to decide which character to make my tank. I have never tanked as a DK, and have not tanked as a paladin in about 2 years. Both are currently level 80.

I don't care which is the "best" tank because that will end up changing several times anyway. I like both classes, and have a hard time picking just one to make my main.

Things I like:
DK:
1) Death Grip
2) Death Grip (deserves two mentions)
3) Goblins can be DK's (I like tanking as a small character because it's fun to smash ankles when your less than 3 feet tall)

Paladin:
1) Super self healing - makes for fun soloing tricks and emergency backup
2) Able to rez to save time when grouping and the healer dies.
3) Able to heal if I ever decide to heal. (I dont like paladin's healing style though, so would probably stick with my druid for that anyway)

Things I don't like:
DK:
1) Limited soloing survivability - for soloing tricks - Much less self healing

Paladin:
1) No death grip (worth mentioning several times...)
2) No smaller sized race available. - I will be horde.

Now that I've actually typed everything out, it looks like the important points to me are simply - Death Grip vs Soloing Tricks.

Why do you like your Paladin or DK? It might help me decide which to tank with.

Llamalite
01-12-2011, 09:34 AM
Haven't tried DK since 4.0, but Paladin at the moment can compensate a lot more for group weaknesses / healing shortage. With Holy Radiance and WoG + a healing addon up at all times, I pretty much play raid healer when I have to. With 50% vengeance on a 5-man boss, I can be tossing 20-40K insta-heals around the group once ( twice w/ proc ) every 12 sec's ish. Add in all the other group help ( Hands, etc. ) and the Paladin has much more utility than the DK. I certainly wouldn't limit it to "soloing tricks" unless you're just not playing it to the full potential. I haven't seen a DK survive the last 20% of a heroic boss by themselves, but I've done it many times.

klausi
01-12-2011, 10:21 AM
1) Super self healing - makes for fun soloing tricks and emergency backup
I frowned here and ..

1) Limited soloing survivability - for soloing tricks - Much less self healing
laughed loud out there. DK is by far the strongest soloing class out there, can finish almost every heroic trash (even some bosses) after your healer disconnected or died own his very own thanks to way more cooldowns and the whole survival idea behinds Deathknights (healing up via Deathstrike after taking a hit) favors them.

For soloing purpose they are at least on par and it comes down to having a hybrid class, capable of all three roles if needed versus a very unique resource system that can be rather annoying from time to time. Both have their charms, don't get me wrong on this. DK just feels like playing zerg (starcraft analogy), having to decide on making drones or units.

laeelin
01-12-2011, 11:32 AM
For soloing purpose they are at least on par

I've never tried soloing as a blood DK, and looking for healing skills I find - Death Strike, Rune Tap, and Blood Parasites. From what I have read Blood Parasites are a lot better at healing than I thought (and I assume thats what you are talking about). I'll try blood out and see what I think.

Now I just need to find a 1 handed weapon for my DK :)

Thanks for the responses so far.

Selene
01-12-2011, 07:48 PM
I've never tried soloing as a blood DK, and looking for healing skills I find - Death Strike, Rune Tap, and Blood Parasites. From what I have read Blood Parasites are a lot better at healing than I thought (and I assume thats what you are talking about). I'll try blood out and see what I think.

Now I just need to find a 1 handed weapon for my DK :)

Thanks for the responses so far.

You mean a 2-Handed weapon right? DW tanking is deader than dead now.

laeelin
01-12-2011, 08:26 PM
I was actually thinking "1 handed + shield" ... what can I say, it's been 2 years from the last time i played my DK... I figured out my mistake a few min after logging on.