PDA

View Full Version : The Weekly Marmot - Overextending Yourself

Lore
01-11-2011, 10:19 AM
aV2PQn4CY0U

Follow me on Twitter (http://www.twitter.com/devolore) or Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/devolore)!

stouthardy
01-11-2011, 10:25 AM
doh! - I made the same mistake you made. WAY too many things to handle and couldn't focus on any thing. Actually thats why I took a 3 month hiatus and disbanding the guild.... where were you 18 months ago!! haha =o) -- great video, way to lay it all out on the line!

Registered since Sep 2008 with 1 post...wow i'm good. =o(

Nareus
01-11-2011, 10:30 AM
Excellent topic. Another great video. Thanks Lore.

Haineko
01-11-2011, 10:41 AM
Good topic Lore I have seen many a guild fall apart because of this.

Doc309
01-11-2011, 10:53 AM
three thoughts:
1) I have taught many classes to about two thousand soldiers returning from the war zones, where the one message i hope they take away is; "when you get angry, do not just react. please just pause a second, and think about what you are really getting angry about."
2) kudos to anyone who brings this level of self analysis, when problems arise.
3) infantry doctrine, and ranger school in particular, have drummed into my head the optimal "span of control" is 3-5. If you supervise less than three, you will probably end up micro managing, one or both. If you supervise 6 or more, you are probably aren't giving at least one of them adequate supervision and/or direction.

Secretofthedark
01-11-2011, 04:48 PM
I have great respect for my guild masters in this point of view. They have been working in excess of four years to get us a good name. With every officer they promote they hand over responsibility, no just for one role or the stability of the guild but for it's reputation and "happiness" also. It must take a huge amount of trust, if you work so hard for something I guess it's tempting to try to have your fingers in all the pies so to speak.

Also- thanks for saying we are awesome Lore. We agree.

Pwnbroker
01-11-2011, 05:28 PM
FYI,

When you appoint new officers, you also have to remember that you need to let them make mistakes themselves and give them the opportunity to learn from them. That can be difficult.

Also, it needs to be clear what kind of structure your leadership takes- some people use a hierarchical, authority-based system, others use collaborative or council-like systems. It just depends on what evolved or you inherited or created.

When I was raiding hardcore (before I moved on campus and got unreliable laggy internets) we would always stress that people needed to think about leadership roles as SERVICE roles, not authoritarian roles. For example, we regarded the role/class officers as a support resource and facilitator and head researcher for all the other players in the guild. Not as the boss of all mages or melee, for example. We also stressed that they would be considered ambassadors of our guild and to act accordingly even in pugs. We worked hard to manage our reputation with both hardcore players and guilds and casual players.

One other thing, we had someone whose job it was to plan fun activities like scavenger hunts, races, and mysteries in game for guildies. We had contests and other fun things always going on, and it was a popular feature. If people are looking for a good way to build community outside of raiding, this is a great way to do it. We did a version of the amazing race that took everyone like 3-4 hours and had over 50 participants and 15 people as staff for the event- you started out with a mass mail to everyone for the first clue, which you had to decipher and then figure out where you had to go next. We had big prizes, like large gold amounts, expensive mats like a stack of orbs, The "Trump Card" was a grand prize and meant that one time, no matter what the situation, you could drop the trump card and get a piece of loot if you rolled poorly on it.

Just saying, keeping your guild entertained and working together is fun and makes everyone like each other more, and allows relationships to be built outside of just raiding and progression. Having someone as "Entertainment coordinator" is a good idea.

Arcania
01-11-2011, 05:39 PM
I absolutely love the topic and I especially love the idea of delegating responsibilities to officers this is where I have a hard time. I want to delegate our officers to do certain things but find it hard to do so at times. I am sort of trying to think of different things that will make things run more smoothly in our guild. The idea to have entertainment really sounds fun. I watch the shows here every week and get a lot of great info out of them. Thanks Lore for posting this one I will be working on mine later tonight

Bashyou
01-11-2011, 07:32 PM
First, Possibly the best into to date.
Second, I watched this at like 4am. So, as far as Weekly Marmot goes, I am done for the week. Any way we can get 2 Weekly Marmots a week? Guess you will need to rename it. But i want more!!

By Weekly Marmot?

penpen002
01-12-2011, 02:58 AM
Lore...this weekly marmot topic is awesome. Huge difficulty for Officers...sigh wish my guild would watch this.

Uranos7
01-12-2011, 05:55 AM
Excellent point Our ally guilds used to do things like relay races and dodgeball and saw them break up shortly after they stopped doing those things.

Great job on the show Lore: but I can't believe you said "Share the Load". LOL

Einlanzer
01-12-2011, 07:51 AM
OMG Lore said "extend"

redraven937
01-12-2011, 06:42 PM
It is like you read my mind and then made a video about it.

BowToTheCow
01-18-2011, 08:41 AM
Great job on this episode; you've completely described my reaction to and issues with trying to cover guild master, raid master, role master, vault master - you name it since Cata came out and over half the raid group and officers decided to take a wow vacation rather than go leveling and give up hard won Heroic Epics we raided from ICC for Cata greens and blues. The only thing missing was "You also know you're over extended when you create a new account to play on that doesn't have a real ID anyone knows". Feeling kinda silly looking at the two authenticators on my desk; I'm not going to change that but I'm definitely changing up a few things in the guild. Thanks!!

Itafeer
01-20-2011, 11:56 AM
I am impressed, master Lore, you have discovered one of the key components of being a good leader. Though you 'did' forget a single piece of advice... Breathe. When your responsibilities seem too much to handle, breathe deeply, and you will see things more clearly. Of course that does not mean you will actually see the 'solution' to your problem, but it is still a nice start.

nuclayer
01-21-2011, 08:28 AM
You do have to be careful when you promote someone who is not a perfect fit for the job. Logically, if you are considering promoting someone to an officer, then that person is probably a great raider. They are at the very least an asset to your team. Later on when that person turns out to not be the leader you wanted, you are in a tough spot. Demoting an officer almost always results in loosing that person as a member. So you have gone from having a very capable raider (who is not a good officer ) to loosing a valued member of a team.

I would like to see a bit about how to discipline an officer or even demote one.