PDA

View Full Version : Warrior Arms DPS - Executioner

The Hoof
01-03-2011, 10:53 AM
So most of the Arms builds I've seen all put 2 pts into Executioner. Yet similarly, all the Arms guides I've read talk about how Haste basically is an empty stat for Arms, as we don't get much of any benefit at all from haste.

So my question then is why would you put points there instead of say Rude Interruption or even a utility ability?

Msrobinson
01-03-2011, 05:30 PM
I think it was initially thought as a good idea, and possibly the other options didn't seem as good.

Why the ability is good, is it obviously ups our dps in that phase, but also increases rage generation, which is good.

Other options are:
Imp hamstring
Blitz
Tactical Mastery
Blood and Thunder
Second Wind
Improved Slam
Rude Interruption

I think out of these options, the only other viable options would be Rude Interruption, Blood and Thunder, Tactical Mastery, and Improved Slam.

Of those, I like Improved Slam the least, because slam stops your swing timer, and I typically use up all the rage I have anyway, no need for me to unnecessarily starve myself, especially spec'd into incite for heroic strike crits.

I'm not sure about blood and thunder, because I'm not sure that introducing thunderclap into an arms warriors rotation would be beneficial. I'm sure there has been math done about this however.

I like tactical mastery, because stance dancing recklessness, shield wall, spell reflect, etc adds a lot of utility and versatility to arms play.

I also like rude interruption, I just don't think that a lot of effort has been put into analyzing it. There are a lot of raid bosses that require interrupts, and a 10% damage bonus all fight just might beat out the increased rage generation/melee swings in the last 20% of a boss fight (meaning ability to inner rage + do all other abilties).

I like where you are going though, and I think I will test that out.

Symph
01-03-2011, 06:16 PM
The only other dps increase is Rude interruption and it's still a situational upgrade.

IMO bosses last long enough for executioner to be worth it. Haste isn't that great, yes. But it's 25% haste for the execute phase which isn't great but still better than any of the other utility talents.

shiz98
01-03-2011, 09:01 PM
I've been dropping points into Blood and Thunder. It sees almost zero use in a boss situation (5-man or raid), but it certainly works wonders on trash. With all the 5-mans I've been doing it's more than worth the points :)

Nez
01-03-2011, 09:14 PM
I've got one point in each ATM. But I've had 2 points in each at other times. lol

The Hoof
01-04-2011, 10:11 AM
Yeah, I currently have 2 pts in Rude Interruption. I like it for 2 reasons. First is that it gives me incentive to do the "right thing" and interrupt spells. As someone on another thread commented, it's like going to the dentist and getting ice cream afterward.

I played around with Blood and Thunder a bit, but eventually spec'd out of it. There's some argument that it's a better way to keep Rend up as you get not only the debuff but some additional damage along with resetting the timer on Rend. But I think that Rude Interruption is a better way to spend the points. There seems to be a lot of mobs in Cata that require interruption, including some bosses, so while it's situational, it's a pretty common situation.

Usually my only issue is hitting it before someone else has done the interruption.

enderwiggin
01-15-2011, 08:10 PM
Hey, long team reader and player

I have a longish comment on this topic and similar other topics. It comes down to preference in almost every class' role and tree. Just about every choice here with the arms warrior seems good, and thats because each one is perfectly viable, one may be a mild dps increase (it could be more im not here to debate) and one may have tons of utility, but in just about every class there are a few points here and there for people to do what they want with. Of course haste is a dps increase. Of course 10% damage after interupts is nice, and yes blood and thunder is huge for aoe clearing and nice because you don't have a damageless (< strange word) 1.5secs. Missing any of them isn't a gamebreaker. If you want anyone of these over another I say "playstyle" and enjoy.

on 25 man heroic bosses if your looking for absoulte optimum, you may want to take into account the number of people also trying to interupt for rude interuption. and the chances that its gonna be you who gets the buff. I think executioner is gonna edge it out there, and i remember quite a few fights where the last 20% felt like the longest part of the fight. In tens not so much. either way without doing aeons of higher math im gonna say this is up to the player, and unless people are saying "set up this way or don't raid with us" probable wholely and totally up to you

Legionodeath
01-16-2011, 12:02 PM
Pretty sure Slam hasnt stopped your swing timer since BC. I could be wrong since a Warrior is no longer my main Ive kept up with changes less.

-LoD

Symph
01-16-2011, 12:24 PM
Pretty sure Slam hasnt stopped your swing timer since BC. I could be wrong since a Warrior is no longer my main Ive kept up with changes less.

-LoD
It pauses your swing timer. It used to completely reset your swing timer before, that's probably the change you're thinking of.