PDA

View Full Version : PST - Episode 10

Lore
01-02-2011, 08:20 AM
Idp0aJtwzRU

Questions answered this week:

What's up with The Raid documentary?
How do I deal with raid morale after a night of wiping?
Can boss mods actually hurt awareness?
and more!

Follow me on Twitter (http://www.twitter.com/devolore) or Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/devolore)!

Coreyzawaski
01-02-2011, 10:27 AM
hey Lore I Had A Question I Play A mage, Shaman, DK, And Hunter and My DPS on all of my toons is really low i have Followed guides rotations and any other things i can find nothing is Working. I have done the proper rotation on a target dummy and nothing then i let a friend on my account do the same rotation and seen a huge increase in DPS what am i doing wrong ? my guild does not want to take me to anything and its making the game extremely frustrating and honestly making me want to quit playing HELP

Lynnx
01-02-2011, 10:35 AM
It has been confirmed.... PIE > CAKE!

@Coretyzawaski...if you are looking to get Lore to answer a question on PST, he only picks questions from his private messages. For a general answer to your DPS issues I would recommend posting in the Damage Per Second forum, include armory links and dps numbers that you are hitting now. I would also recommend working on which ever toon you consider your main first then spread out once you have that toon sorted. This thread is more dedicated to comments on the above video, and will not receive a huge response to your issue.

Nequiem
01-02-2011, 10:55 AM
Idp0aJtwzRU

Questions answered this week:

What's up with The Raid documentary?
How do I deal with raid morale after a night of wiping?
Can boss mods actually hurt awareness?
and more!

Follow me on Twitter (http://www.twitter.com/devolore) or Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/devolore)!

First off Hes absolutely right, this is the internet were talking about so getting your ms loot in a random is just that, " random". But I do feel there are a few ways you can stop this from happening more often than not. The first would be to find yourself a guild if your not already in one, and form a premade heroics run. Not only will you be having a better chance to get gear you need. But most likely be able to clear heroics faster with people that are learning the pulls/ encounters with you on a repeated basis. And your earning your guild achievements which will benefit everyone.

Secondly, If your not in a guild there is the option to just find some players on your server to run with. While this still may turn into a Ninja fest, it deff a decreasing number in the amount of people who would like that reputation on a given server.

avh
01-02-2011, 09:03 PM
You should download at least Ventrilo from big trusted download-site or straight from the official site instead of your neighbourdoor hacker's site if you want to be on safe side...

krilz
01-03-2011, 07:25 AM
I would definitely recommend trying bosses without any boss mod addon. We downed the first 6-7 bosses in Cataclysm without any boss addon (since none of ours worked) and it heightened awareness to the point that we practically knew when things were coming by just sheer instinct: "Ok, we've dps:ed Magmaw for a while now, get ready for pillar..."

Then you start using addons freely and know exactly what the timers are actually telling you and react to them accordingly.

Glever
01-03-2011, 01:41 PM
This doesn't really have much to do with WoW but i would like everyone to know they should be using Microsoft Security Essentials as their anti-virus. As an IT professional I recommend it cause its Free, one of the top 2 antivirus's out there and it doesn't slow down your computer at all.
Read more about it here: http://lifehacker.com/5714508/microsoft-security-essentials-2-released-still-the-best-darn-antivirus-around
And here: http://lifehacker.com/5559102/microsoft-security-essentials-finds-unknown-malware-but-avoids-false-positives
Download it here: http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
Enjoy :)

uglie
01-05-2011, 06:46 AM
I would definitely recommend trying bosses without any boss mod addon. We downed the first 6-7 bosses in Cataclysm without any boss addon (since none of ours worked) and it heightened awareness to the point that we practically knew when things were coming by just sheer instinct: "Ok, we've dps:ed Magmaw for a while now, get ready for pillar..."

Then you start using addons freely and know exactly what the timers are actually telling you and react to them accordingly.

Our guild does something similar. While trying to learn the fight RL will be calling things out as best as possible, when things start to get frustrating vent goes dead silent until victory. This is probably the same effect as not having dbm in that people have to become aware on their own and not rely on someone else to tell them to move.

As far as downloading DBM vent and other "essential" addons if they are downloaded from a reputable place then all should be good. I downloaded vent from the ventrilo people directly and use curse client for my other mods. When using curse I try to use the more popular downloaded addons.

Heroic ninja's are always gonna happen in pug LFD. It's like rain, it will always happen somewhere. Guild groups are the best way to protect yourself against ninja's.

Machus
01-07-2011, 03:47 PM
Hi Lore,

I appreciate your intentions, but your advice on computer security is not technically sound, sorry. The person with the question had reasonable cause to worry.

There are roughly four kinds of threats that might affect WoW players:

- WoW addons, the things that you put in your Interface folder: These are zero risk. That's possible because WoW includes a program execution environment (for a language called Lua) and a security model that keeps your PC safe from addons. The addons themselves are not PC or Mac programs. However programs that keep add-ons up to date, such as Curse client, or upload or parse results, are PC programs and therefore risky. Don't use those. Download the addons manually, unzip, and copy to your interface folder if you care about security.

- Malicious web sites. You cover that well. Threat level varies greatly depending on the browser and OS you use.

- Scams that ask you to enter your password. The risk depends on your own, human, level of vigilance. Never enter your WoW password on anything other than the WoW app or the battle.net website, on your own secure PC. If you can't keep your PC safe, get an authenticator.

- Malicious PC (or in theory Mac, though that's rare) programs. Anything that you download and install such as a .EXE (or .app for Mac) is potentially a threat. If you run this program you're really giving the keys to your PC to someone else. They could steal your WoW account, or your bank account, or anything. You should run only original software that you download from a company that you trust very highly, such as Blizzard, Microsoft, etc. It's up to you whether you trust the makers of Ventrillo enough.

You can protect your PC with anti-virus or other defensive software, but the same applies. Get it directly from a major company that you trust. Random "clean your PC" downloads are just as likely, if not more, to be malicious account-stealing programs.