PDA

View Full Version : Warrior My rage has gone to the devil in a handbasket

Airegorn
12-30-2010, 10:37 PM
For some reason I am having trouble generating rage. As a result none of my abilities are available and the cool downs just seem to take forever. I know there were some major changes made but I am doing terrible. I have to let an enemy hit me 2 or 3 times before I generate enough rage to strike back.

What have I or am I doing wrong?

Here is my armory link:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/moknathal/airegorn/simple

Thanks for any insight.

Loganisis
12-31-2010, 04:46 PM
Rage generation has 2 components, hit (your hits actually landing) and haste (how often you swing).

The big thing is your hit is only 9%. This means you're going to miss ~18% of the time. This can lead to some bad miss swings, and with a long swing timer (3+ seconds) this can lead to periods of rage starvation.

That's the gearing issue...

The other issue is probably your ability useage.

You can't use HS willy-nilly anymore. Your rotation is BT -> RB -> BT -> <slam/free GCD> with collossus smash on CD (well not always, sometimes fight mechnics mean holding off, e.g. right before some movement).

HS only when >60 rage.

That's probably as much your problem.

Also DBW and WFS are not very good at 85. You're simply giving up too much in the way of ratings (well I don't know about DBW's proc - but definately WFS) - quest rewards were probably better 2 or 3 zones ago. Same and moreso for the rep ring.

Quick upgrades can be had by getting your rep to revered (even friendly opens some upgrades) - and buying the items from those factions, that will help with the rating points.

The # of rating points needed per 1% is much steeper now than in WotLK - so when you go from 84 to 85 you're going to see a major decrease in hit levels.

Finally - I would suggest reforging everything to hit and if not hit then haste if your rage is your biggest issue - haste isn't a top stat for DPS according to the numbers Thegreatme and others have run - but it is useful until you feel 'comfortable'.

Airegorn
12-31-2010, 06:04 PM
Thanks - I figured part of my problem was the rotation. I was still trying to use BT-WW-BT-HS but knew that was wrong since they nerfed WW.

Part of my problem also is that when I am running with someone else, if they hit the monster before I do then I can't do anything.

I am going to reforge for hit and see how that works.

Is Expertise a big stat anymore or not?

nserafini
12-31-2010, 08:19 PM
Battle and command shout now generate rage when you hit them, are you using this ? Once the tank pulls, you should be hitting either one that fits the raid composition ( as to not overwrite buffs ) for 20 or 30 rage on demand.

Around Uldum and twilight highlands some of those items you have should have been replaced with greens. If you ran 5 mans, the drops in them should have given you better stuff.

Hit and exp are still very important. VERY..... What good is swinging dual axes if the mob can dodge and parry them.

There's a great fury guide you should read on this site.

Loganisis
12-31-2010, 10:35 PM
Thanks - I figured part of my problem was the rotation. I was still trying to use BT-WW-BT-HS but knew that was wrong since they nerfed WW.

Part of my problem also is that when I am running with someone else, if they hit the monster before I do then I can't do anything.

I am going to reforge for hit and see how that works.

Is Expertise a big stat anymore or not?

Read: http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.php?72537-The-Cataclysmic-fury-Warrior-Guide

And learn

Exp isn't unimportant, it's that it's not as important as hit (once I was informed that dodged/parried attacks still generated rage - didn't know that). So with his gear, hit takes priority. And part of why he should upgrade his trinkets and ring.

I don't know why you're having issues with rage if you don't 'hit' the mob first. Rage is normalized that means every non-missed swing generates X*weapon speed rage where X is some constant. As DPS, you don't need to get hit to generate rage.

Battle/Command Shout + Beserker Rage (is it talented or glyphed, I can't remember) - 37 rage to start off with.

And I don't know where you have a 4.5 second rotation with WW in it, it's on a 10 second cool down. Reading TGM's guide should answer most of your questions.

Airegorn
01-01-2011, 06:51 AM
Thanks guys for your help. I do use Battle/Command Shout and Berserker rage. I will be working to upgrade everything.

malakii
01-02-2011, 12:39 PM
Hit and expertise = best way to increase your rage generation. Haste and crit (for fury only) also increase rage gen marginally, but I'd recommend against gearing for haste.

Aside from that, it's also much more important to actually use the right abilities to manage your rage. if you HS too often, you'll spend all your time rage starved. if you don't use it at all, you might find yourself rage capped. You can use your Shouts and other CD's to help even out the time you spend rage capped.

currently, as fury, most are using a 'cast order' that is something like BT, RB (use berserker rage to activate if needed), BT (free gcd), repeat. For the free gcd, abilities you should be using include colossus smash (every time it's up, preferably), slam (if you have the proc), whirlwind, one of your shouts, victory rush, etc. it's a little more fluid than that (you could, for instance, switch the free gcd to second to get colossus smash off at the start of the fight and increase your chance to enrage, so you don't need to pop beserker's rage to activate RB. also, there are some times where you just get unlucky and can't activate RB when you want to.), but generally, that's how you should be using your gcd's. Heroic strike is now a rage dump only. as someone else said, don't use it unless you're above a certain threshold; 60 is a good one, personally, I aim for around 75.

I don't know as much about arms, so I can't help you there, I'm afraid.

It'll take you some time to adjust. until you do, go slow. think about which abilities you want to be using when and why.

Loganisis
01-03-2011, 03:33 PM
@Malakii - do you have something to show that dodged/parried attacks generate no rage? Others have posted the opposite, that dodged/parried attacks do generate rage, there's just no damage.

Just going to a target dummy in SW now, dodged and parried attacks seem to generate rage. So it would seem expertise would have no part in generating rage.