PDA

View Full Version : Death Knight DK tanks lack a few tools or is it me?

uglybbtoo
12-30-2010, 06:14 PM
After finding tanking on my warrior, pally and druid pretty straight forward I am really struggling on my DK as a tank.

I would say I am any more squishie than my other tanks but finding alot of situations that are very painful.

Take normal Grim Batol I cruise thru there on my other tanks but boy its a pain on DK. A standard pack with a couple of casters, a couple of melee and one of those big dudes that spins. On druid I root the spin guy go back to bear and tank rest. Warrior and pally I just stun him if he starts it. On DK I can't find a way to deal with these my best hope is to try and back away taking alot of damage from him and casters and hoping healer can hold me up or I else I am absolutely reliant on having a good cc in group.

TBH I would trade strangulate in a heartbeat for an actual stun.

So how are you other DK tanks dealing with these trash?

klausi
12-30-2010, 09:01 PM
Do you solo those instances for fun or there four other people around capable of assisting you? :D And while playing a DK you have the most cooldowns around to survive any situation and even solo most of the packs after something goes wrong. I'll just mention a few options:

Interrupt with Mind Freeze, Strangulate, Deathgrip, (Belf Silence, Tauren Warstomp)
Anti Magic Shell
Ghul Army
Deathcoil Spam during Lichborne

And the best way to deal with that specific whirlwind mob: just avoid him, step a few feet back/to the side and work on the other ones. Tell your group about your problem and have your friendly fury/ret/rogue-anyhting assist you with stuns or disarm. I've problems with other mobs and having a reliable cc keeping them away from us until we can finish of the rest is how it's intented to be played.

Cheesewheel
12-30-2010, 10:19 PM
Reiterating what the previous poster said: There are three ways to deal with difficult mobs
1. CC plain and simple, have somebody cc the mob
2. Pop a cooldown, Icebound fortitude will let you survive just about anything DRW will give you the parry to avoid most of the attacks Vampyric blood will make you easy to heal and make your death strike heals more powerful then they already are. Also make sure your spamming your death strike as much as possible during moments of heavy damage because not only will you heal for more but you will get big bubbles to mitigate most of the incoming damage.
3. Avoid the mob entirely, just run away or wait to outgear the mob before trying

uglie
12-31-2010, 01:38 AM
Dk's have a ton of tools.
Raise dead+deathpact
chains of ice
DRW
Bone shield
Mind freeze and strnagulate (our ranged silence)
rune tap
death strike for healing and shields.
dark sim
VB for extra healing from ourselves and the healer,
IBF
Lichborne+ deathcoil on ourselves
AotD
death grip

squats
12-31-2010, 01:42 AM
Its just you. No offense, but DK tanks have the most survivability tools by far. its all about using them, just like its always been.

uglybbtoo
12-31-2010, 01:47 AM
You both really miss the point ..

I have 6 tanks in total of diff flavours and can't have all in big raid guilds so LFD is for me. You don't really get a choice on what you get in group this means you may have limited or bad cc'ers.

These are >> only normals << and on my other tanks I can easily do them without any requirement for cc (I am simply running them for rep).

My DK can't .. simple ... not that its weaker than the other tanks it takes prob less damage when on a boss.

I am not asking for an arguement on diff tanks I use all 4 I know how they all are and yes in Heroics I will have to use CC thats a given.

So my question stands have any good experienced DK tanks worked ways to run normals without CC .. would like some tips. There are some mobs like in grim that tear me apart.

dotOrion
12-31-2010, 01:58 AM
Yeah, DK tanks don't have a stun. So what :cool:?
If you own this many tanks, you should know there's tons of solutions to the same problem :D

And in particular a pull with a whirlwinder and casters .. step away from the whirlwinder, grip one caster, strangulate another, pop AMS ... to reduce damage from the casters.

On normal, depending on your gear, you could probably just pop a CD and eat the whirlwind, get a DS in halfway to heal some of the damage done and prevent a bunch of the damage still to come :p

uglie
12-31-2010, 02:43 AM
on the particular of the WWer. DG the caster first get a lil aggro on hit with maybe a IT chains the WWer to slow him down at least a lil. If he does get to you just back away since he doesn't move when he starts his ww. there's even some groups of mobs i like to mess around with and range tank the mobs. Experiment pulling different groups different ways and you'll find what works best for you personally.

rsorleans
12-31-2010, 05:04 AM
Much of the Skills you have will help in some way the key is to pot the right ones at the right time.
On a trash pull in Grim Batol the key wat to mitigate the most i could.. Strangulate/Deathgrip pull allows 1 caster to be put out of the equation. Using Anti Magic shell negates the other casters leaving you just to deal with the incoming damage from Melee. This can easily be dealt with by popping IBF keeping Boneshield up and using deathstrike with your pairs to keep your health up and blood shield going... Not forgetting scarlet fevor to keep AP and attack speed down off melee...

uglybbtoo
12-31-2010, 06:14 AM
Yeah, DK tanks don't have a stun. So what :cool:?
If you own this many tanks, you should know there's tons of solutions to the same problem :D

And in particular a pull with a whirlwinder and casters .. step away from the whirlwinder, grip one caster, strangulate another, pop AMS ... to reduce damage from the casters.

On normal, depending on your gear, you could probably just pop a CD and eat the whirlwind, get a DS in halfway to heal some of the damage done and prevent a bunch of the damage still to come :p

I can't hence why I am asking if anyone else has and no you can't back away the cast is instant and by the time you pop the CD and try and out range you are dead to all the other shit hitting you. Uglie (good name ^-^) has a good idea I might respec a little and see if I can slow them and do long pulls so hopefully they start spinning before they get to me.

It is just faster to get rep running normals than the repair bills from heroics with LFD but ATM there is way to many gumbies who get queued to Grim, tor and obs who shouldn't be there and its either be self sufficient or jump group at any trouble.

uglie
12-31-2010, 06:36 AM
Sometimes those WWers like to do their thing right off the bat before they even move, other times they don't. Honestly if they don't WW before they get to you about all you can do is back away especially in a LFD grp. Still afraid of those damn LFD grps so grats on your bravery/craziness? But what we do lack in stuns we gain in ranged abilites by far. Such as being able to help slow the add on the 3rd boss (where he summons the fire adds).

gacktt
12-31-2010, 07:54 AM
DK tanks probably aren't the best at 5 man heroics. On raids though they are the #1 tank by far.

uglie
12-31-2010, 08:26 AM
DK tanks probably aren't the best at 5 man heroics. On raids though they are the #1 tank by far.
support for this? for both.

Francis
12-31-2010, 01:55 PM
ok so this is totaly normal. altough i find tankin with dks easyer to keep aggro but they do take a beating big time. use vampiric blood and run tap will heal you wich is really good in bad situations. use ure buff like anti-magic shell adn maybe trinkets if you ahve any. and to stay alive pretty much get your mastery up, i pretty much work on parry dodge adn mastery as tank dk, since mastery creates a shield when you use death strike adn each points brings your shield up by 6.25% or somethign like that wich is really good, and try using bone shield. Your problem is totaaly normal and im ahving the same problem