PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Which fictional doomsday event do you dread the most?

Valandris
12-28-2010, 04:09 PM
Throughout our lives, we've watched movies or read books about doomsday events like alien incursions, being overrun by the living dead, etc.

In this poll, specify which event(s) you think would suck the worst.

I chose 2, 4, and 7 because mankind has a chance to survive such events, however remote the chance of survival may be.

Ok, I'm wrong about #5. If the sun explodes, even if some did survive the blast wave, without the sun, the Earth would freeze to temperatures incapable of supporting human life, and the planet would fly off into space due to a lack of a gravity mass to keep it in orbit.

Gravy
12-28-2010, 04:19 PM
Slow or fast zombies?

Martie
12-28-2010, 04:23 PM
Definitely zombies. I don't look forward to being shot in the head just because I'm hungry, rotting and moaning.

sacredgoat
12-28-2010, 04:30 PM
bah ... Computers is where its at. They serve us now ... but just wait ... i see a I Robot in our future!!!

Valandris
12-28-2010, 04:34 PM
Slow or fast zombies?

fast

nserafini
12-28-2010, 04:47 PM
fast

Bah ... Everybody knows FAST zombies aren't real !

Fetzie
12-29-2010, 08:17 AM
Zombies because I don't like them
Nuclear war destruction because it is still a possibility.

Bovinity
12-29-2010, 08:20 AM
Zombies are the only really "scary" one. Well, maybe enslavement, too.

The rest are just cataclysmic - and probably extinction level - events that you wouldn't even be alive to suffer through.

Reev
12-29-2010, 08:31 AM
One of my favorite cataclysmic stories is Ill Wind, a book in which an oil company puts out a designer microbe to combat a huge oil spill in San Francisco Bay. The virus mutates, goes airborne, and eats all the petroleum and petroleum based products in the world. That means no gasoline, no plastics, no petroleum lubricants, no styrofoams, no polyester, no mass agriculture, no way of moving food from the countryside to the cities in reasonable quantities, no sources of electricity (try running a wind farm or hydro power dam without petroleum lubricants). The world descends into chaos and billions die.

Hard to believe that just 200 years ago, we didn't even have the stuff, and now it would completely destroy the modern world and kill billions if we didn't have it.

JollyWarrior
12-30-2010, 08:04 PM
One of my favorite cataclysmic stories is Ill Wind, a book in which an oil company puts out a designer microbe to combat a huge oil spill in San Francisco Bay. The virus mutates, goes airborne, and eats all the petroleum and petroleum based products in the world. That means no gasoline, no plastics, no petroleum lubricants, no styrofoams, no polyester, no mass agriculture, no way of moving food from the countryside to the cities in reasonable quantities, no sources of electricity (try running a wind farm or hydro power dam without petroleum lubricants). The world descends into chaos and billions die.

Hard to believe that just 200 years ago, we didn't even have the stuff, and now it would completely destroy the modern world and kill billions if we didn't have it.

That's a good one.

Personally, Aliens obliterating earth from space.

Errvalunia
12-30-2010, 10:36 PM

The reason billions would die without it is because before we had it the world couldn't support billions!

Prucilak
12-31-2010, 12:22 PM
A dragon coming out of the earth that is flying around and frying us from above.

Nightwisher
01-06-2011, 09:32 PM
Smart zombies... are the frikkin... scariest.... things ever. They wait for you.... open doors to find you... hide... team up... -shiver.-