PDA

View Full Version : Chimaeron

Aliena
12-22-2010, 01:09 PM
eLa57ES3py8

Hello, and welcome to Tankspot's Cataclysm Raid Guide. My name is Papapaint, and in this video I will be discussing the strategy for Chimaeron in the Blackwing Descent Raid Instance.

Chimaeron is an extremely healer-intense fight, and requires a great deal of self control on the part of your healing team--you won't be seeing very many satisfyingly full green bars.

It is important to note that you should not begin the fight by simply hitting Chimaeron in the face. Instead, go around him and speak with Finkle Einhorn, locked in a cage next to his trusty Bile-O-Tron. After speaking with him, the Bile-O-Tron comes online, stinks up the room, and wakes up the napping triple-headed monster. As long as the Bile-O-Tron is active, your raid gains Finkle's Mixture, which prevents any members of your raid dying as long as their health is over 10,000. If a raider's health is over 10,000 and they WOULD die, they're instead knocked down to 1 HP.

In simpler terms, this means that during Phase 1, your raiders' health only needs to be over 10,000 HP---healing them past that is essentially overhealing. This is due to Chimaeron's Caustic Slime. This move will target four players, splitting 320,000 damage (two players and 280,000 in 10-man) between those players and all other players within 6 yards of them. In addition, it will apply a debuff to all affected players, reducing their hit for 3 seconds. The easiest way to deal with this is to split up, staying 6 yards apart--any player hit by the green vomit will simply be knocked down to 1 HP. Heal them to over 10k HP, and they're safe once again.

The exception to the 10,000 HP rule is, of course, the tanks. Chimaeron hits hard, and has two extra-nasty abilities to look out for: Break and Double Attack. Double Attack is exactly what it sounds like--on Chimaeron's next melee, he will melee twice in very quick succession. This means that even if your tank is over 10k, they will be hit, reducing them to 1 HP, and then hit immediately afterwards, killing them. There are a few ways to deal with this. Defensive cooldowns work well, but topping off the tank will generally allow them to survive the double hit. Break is designed to make topping off the tank more difficult--it increases the damage taken by the tank by 25% and reducing ihealing taken by 15% for every stack. This is applied every 15-20 seconds, so you'll want to have your tanks trade off every 3 stacks, with your tank popping cooldowns to survive through the 2nd stack.

The last ability of note during phase 1 is Massacre. Massacre instantly deals 900,000 damage to every player and can not be mitigated in any way. This means that every single player in your raid over 10,000 HP will be reduced to 1 HP, and all raiders below 10,000 HP will die instantly. This includes the tank, so make sure you have at least one--preferably more--healers dedicated to healing up the tank as quickly as possible while the rest of your healers rush to get everyone in the raid back over 10,000 HP.

Occasionally after Massacre, the Bile-O-Tron will be knocked offline, removing the buff from your raid and taking you into phase 2. During phase 2, Chimaeron's heads will begin fighting one another, and he will cast fued for 30 seconds. You have 15 seconds to stack up and heal the entire raid before he begins vomiting poison bombs. Without the buff to protect your raid members, it's necessary to clump up in order to split the damage amongst your whole raid. After 15 seconds, he will vomit every 5 seconds, then finish off with another massacre. Use defensive cooldowns, self heals, and help top off all raid members in any way possible. While he casts Massacre, your raid should be spreading out to resume Phase One.

At 20%, Chimaeron will take your raid into Phase 3. During phase 3, your whole raid will be afflicted with a new debuff: Mortality. This reduces ALL healing effects on your raid by 99%... so there's basically no reason to continue healing. In addition, Chimaeron will become untauntable and take an additional 10% damage. To simplify the strategy of phase 3... BURN HIM DOWN. Pop Heroism or Bloodlust, have your healers help out with DPSing, and start kiting him. Watch his aggro table to determine who he's going to attack next, and have that person run across the room. Use Iceblocks, Bubbles, Fades, Feign Deaths, Guardian Spirit, and any other tricks you can think of to keep him running as much as possible. The more he's moving instead of attacking, the more DPS time you get. This is purely a race against his ability to nom nom your entire raid, one at a time. With proper cooldown usage, some hard DPS, and clever use of aggro mechanics, Chimaeron should be an exhilarating kill.

Thanks for watching this guide. I will include the second half of this fight with some minor commentary to give you a better idea of how we handled all three phases. If you enjoyed this guide and would like to stay up-to-date on Cataclysm raid strategy information, subscribe to this video channel. As usual, comments are welcome in both the youtube comment box and on the official thread on Tankspot.

systemchok
12-22-2010, 02:04 PM
3healers, 2tanks, 5dps needed for 10man i presume?? looks very intensive and fun....and great commentary in the last section btw :)

Papapaint
12-22-2010, 02:12 PM
3healers, 2tanks, 5dps needed for 10man i presume?? looks very intensive and fun....and great commentary in the last section btw :)

Thanks. All the logs I can find from 10m suggest that 3 healers/2 tanks/5 dps is ideal.

systemchok
12-22-2010, 02:28 PM
thank you :)

Valana
12-22-2010, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the guide hopefully first try just after christmas for the guild i am in. :)

Darthruneis
12-23-2010, 05:32 AM
The video was very well put together, thank you, but I have one question that has me confused about the encouter.

When the Bile-O-Tron is offline, how does the raid survive THAT Massacre? Does the Bile-O-Tron come back online just before it goes off or something?

Papapaint
12-23-2010, 05:59 AM
The video was very well put together, thank you, but I have one question that has me confused about the encouter.

When the Bile-O-Tron is offline, how does the raid survive THAT Massacre? Does the Bile-O-Tron come back online just before it goes off or something?

He never casts massacre while the Bile-O-Tron is offline.

gacktt
12-24-2010, 12:46 AM
brotip : stop dps just before phase 3, wait for feud. He will continue fueding even below 20% and you can just pre-lust and you will start p3 with chimaeron below 15% hp and everyone at over 75% health. He will not massacre after a feud if you drop him below the 20% mark. Got our achievement that way.

Luvaria
12-25-2010, 07:22 PM
brotip : stop dps just before phase 3, wait for feud. He will continue fueding even below 20% and you can just pre-lust and you will start p3 with chimaeron below 15% hp and everyone at over 75% health. He will not massacre after a feud if you drop him below the 20% mark. Got our achievement that way.

That wasn't the case on Wednesday. He stopped his feud 3 seconds into it and destroyed the raid because nobody was topped off from the massacre.

gacktt
12-25-2010, 08:16 PM
That wasn't the case on Wednesday. He stopped his feud 3 seconds into it and destroyed the raid because nobody was topped off from the massacre.

Strange, we killed him 4am server time on thurs and he was a compete pushover thanks to that. He continued channeling while we dropped him to 4m or below in 10man, where he usually enrages at 5.6m.

Ohhnose
12-26-2010, 06:25 AM
Break is designed to make topping off the tank more difficult--it increases the damage taken by the tank by 25% and reducing ihealing taken by 15% for every stack. Wasnt break reduced healing done not taken? Rather than swapping around stacks we had the mt tanking the majority of the time (and getting a high stack of break which made very little difference) while the ot taunted just for double attacks with the mt taunting back as soon as the buff went.

Luvaria
12-26-2010, 10:15 AM
Wasnt break reduced healing done not taken? Rather than swapping around stacks we had the mt tanking the majority of the time (and getting a high stack of break which made very little difference) while the ot taunted just for double attacks with the mt taunting back as soon as the buff went.

Yeah you're right.

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=82881

Also that's the same strat we did. Doing it that way, the only person that ever needs to be topped is the tank taunting before the double hits (as long as the first one doesn't take him below 10k he's fine) and just keeping the MT over 10k between swings.

gacktt
12-31-2010, 03:21 AM

We killed him the 2nd time this week. Stop at 27ish. Feud. Lust and burn. He did not stop his fued early, he did not massacre after the feud. We killed him as usual with only 1 death.

Luvaria
12-31-2010, 08:37 AM
Hm, I guess he'll be easier now then lol.

jr3L
01-10-2011, 03:39 AM
Wasnt break reduced healing done not taken? Rather than swapping around stacks we had the mt tanking the majority of the time (and getting a high stack of break which made very little difference) while the ot taunted just for double attacks with the mt taunting back as soon as the buff went.

So you just had one tank take all the breaks? And the OT just took all the double attacks?

Wont he reach 99% healing reduction though?

Carighan
01-10-2011, 07:41 AM
So you just had one tank take all the breaks? And the OT just took all the double attacks?

Wont he reach 99% healing reduction though?

It's healing done.
Meaning the healing the tank does is reduced, not the healing he takes.

This was probably done to not make DK tanks ridiculously powerful as they start taking more and larger blows (since their DS-healing includes absorbed damage, Break would increase DS'es healing steadily).

It has 0 effect on the 10k healing the tank needs after every melee swing to survive the following one.

jr3L
01-11-2011, 08:05 PM
It's healing done.

This was probably done to not make DK tanks ridiculously powerful as they start taking more and larger blows (since their DS-healing includes absorbed damage, Break would increase DS'es healing steadily).

It has 0 effect on the 10k healing the tank needs after every melee swing to survive the following one.

Ohhhhhhh nice, tricky tricky wording.

Trustbuster
01-12-2011, 01:16 PM
How many healers have y'all been taking in 25 man? In our 10-man kill we used 3 healers, but in 25 man we are struggling to heal people during Feud with 7 healers. Are 8 or 9 healers really needed? How do we kill him in p3 with 8 or 9 healers?

Any tips on healing during Feud would be much appreciated. In 25-man this is the stopping point for our raid.

Vaxum
01-12-2011, 04:53 PM
We use 7 healers. We started having 1 healer use a raid healing CD (tranq/hym) each fued, the thing that pushed us over the top was aslo having 1 hybrid do the same thing after the 1st caustic slime went out in each feud.

Trustbuster
01-13-2011, 08:52 AM
Thanks, Vaxum. Quick follow up -- are you using a Disc Priest for PW: Barrier?

Saintoftaint
01-13-2011, 02:26 PM
It's healing done.

We did this last night and failed hard in 10 man. We had 2 tanks 3 healers with the tanks switching at 3 stacks. What I didnt understand was every single melee hit was taking the tank to 1hp. Why would you top the tank off at all if this is the case? Also whats the point of even using a tank. couldnt you just go 3 heals and 7 dps since every hit is dropping the target to 1hp anyway?

klausi
01-13-2011, 02:36 PM
You only need one player that is capable of surving two hits at once (doublestrike), a regular dps hp pool isn't capable of that -> you bring one tank for double strike and let a dps class tank his normal swings. Preferable feral, retpala or dpsdk, fury warrior can't do much dps in defstance.

Alternativley you could bring several classes with cooldowns or rotate external cooldowns on classes who can taunt - but why the hassle?

Saintoftaint
01-13-2011, 02:41 PM
You only need one player that is capable of surving two hits at once (doublestrike), a regular dps hp pool isn't capable of that -> you bring one tank for double strike and let a dps class tank his normal swings. Preferable feral, retpala or dpsdk, fury warrior can't do much dps in defstance.

Alternativley you could bring several classes with cooldowns or rotate external cooldowns on classes who can taunt - but why the hassle?

I apologize if these questions are stupid but as long as the person is over 10k hp they cant be one shot anyway. So what does it matter if its a tank or a dps as long as they are healed over the 10k hp after the first hit of double strike? From the few attempts we put on him last night our tanks where being taken to 1 hp on every single attack he hit them with.

Edit: To clear up what im saying, 1st strike of double strike takes the tank to 1 hp the 2nd killing him. Even normal melee hits where taking the tank to 1hp. So why use a tank? Why not just have a dps dk in blood presence for the threat tanking him and roll with no true tanks for larger raid dps?

Majnuni
01-13-2011, 02:59 PM
What's the best way to set up healing for the 10-man encounter? The way my guild tried it, we had 1 dedicated healer per tank and 1 (me, Holy Priest) keeping everyone above 10k during feud. I had a hard time getting my PoH off in time on the second group which of course result in losing someone. We did get him down to 8% once but after that we never got nearly as close again.

To go into my detail about my situation, basically what would kill us is when feud hit someone from both groups. I would start my PoH on one group, but before the cast could complete on the second group the members at 1HP would get hit.

Any advice?

klausi
01-13-2011, 03:08 PM
To clear up what im saying, 1st strike of double strike takes the tank to 1 hp the 2nd killing him. Even normal melee hits where taking the tank to 1hp. So why use a tank? Why not just have a dps dk in blood presence for the threat tanking him and roll with no true tanks for larger raid dps?
While the robot is active there's a buff (http://www.wowhead.com/spell=82705) around. When you're brought below 10k hp there's a debuff (http://www.wowhead.com/spell=89084) your healer should be aware off.

x

You're sitting at x, one attack brings you below 10.000 hp and would have killed you, but thanks to the robots buff you're at 1 hp now. The double attack (http://www.wowhead.com/spell=88826) is going to hit twice in the split of a second (instead of 5 seconds between every attack) so you need to be above 10k hp after the initial hit or you die - he hits for around 100kish. If you manage to have your dedicated double attack "tank/dps" to be above that certain hp he needs all the time feel free to bring more dps.

What's the best way to set up healing for the 10-man encounter? The way my guild tried it, we had 1 dedicated healer per tank and 1 (me, Holy Priest) keeping everyone above 10k during feud. I had a hard time getting my PoH off in time on the second group which of course result in losing someone. We did get him down to 8% once but after that we never got nearly as close again.

To go into my detail about my situation, basically what would kill us is when feud hit someone from both groups. I would start my PoH on one group, but before the cast could complete on the second group the members at 1HP would get hit.

Any advice?
You only need to have to offtank nearly topped (and only before double attacks), the "maintank" heal should be enough from regrowth (glyphed)/lifebloom stacks/beacon. He needs to be above 10k hp every 5 seconds, that should be doable, shouldn't it? Have two healers on the camp and feel free to add additional dps helping you out with their huge cooldowns (tranquility, divine hymn, holy radiance from ret/protpala - anything you can think off, your shadow could also spam poh nonstop during feud if needed).

Majnuni
01-13-2011, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the advice, I definitely think two healers are needed for the group and probably just one for the tanks with whatever help the group healers can spare for tank heals.

Saintoftaint
01-13-2011, 04:35 PM
While the robot is active there's a buff (http://www.wowhead.com/spell=82705) around. When you're brought below 10k hp there's a debuff (http://www.wowhead.com/spell=89084) your healer should be aware off.

x

You're sitting at x, one attack brings you below 10.000 hp and would have killed you, but thanks to the robots buff you're at 1 hp now. The double attack (http://www.wowhead.com/spell=88826) is going to hit twice in the split of a second (instead of 5 seconds between every attack) so you need to be above 10k hp after the initial hit or you die - he hits for around 100kish. If you manage to have your dedicated double attack "tank/dps" to be above that certain hp he needs all the time feel free to bring more dps.

You only need to have to offtank nearly topped (and only before double attacks), the "maintank" heal should be enough from regrowth (glyphed)/lifebloom stacks/beacon. He needs to be above 10k hp every 5 seconds, that should be doable, shouldn't it? Have two healers on the camp and feel free to add additional dps helping you out with their huge cooldowns (tranquility, divine hymn, holy radiance from ret/protpala - anything you can think off, your shadow could also spam poh nonstop during feud if needed).

Thank you for the info this cleared it up for us alot, We didnt understand all the fight mechanics.

Tailsz
01-14-2011, 11:31 AM
We did this last night with 2 tanks, 3 heals and 5 DPS on 10 man.

Tips that made it do-able for us (OT eating double attack found here on tankspot was a BIG ONE)

Chimy above 20%

Keep the OT healed to full and have him taunt to eat double attack (MT taunts back afterward)
During Feud 1 - Tranquility (used by me as a feral)
During Feud 2 - Hymn's/Tree form from our resto druid
During Feud 3 - Tranquility (used by our resto druid)
During Feud 4 - Self saving cooldown/pots/anything left (NOT using heroism.. we needed it bad for sub 20%)

You may or may not get the 4th feud

Above 20% was by far the most frustrating for us. Sometimes we would get 3 feuds right in a row then push him to 20% with no 4th feud. Other times we would wait for what seemed like forever for the first feud then get 3 more right in a row. It felt VERY RNG. It can be really frustrating if you get that 4th feud when you feel like everyone is damn near oom and there's no healing cooldowns left to get through the damage.

Chimy Below 20%

Hero for us sub 20% was absolutely required to meet his "I'm gonna eat chu!" soft enrage
Mirror Image helped a LOT on our kill attempt
Priest bubbles seem to eat an attack that would otherwise kill you
As Aliena said, pull out every tactic you can think of to prolong the raids death

On our kill attempt we did end up getting that 4th feud but only lost 1 person which happend to be a healer. DPS requirements at our gear level on 10 man seem super strict. If we lost any DPS early on it was pretty much a guaranteed wipe.

WOL Reports if anyone is interested can be found here (http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/t4k5ql3sh6zk3f4a/dashboard/?enc=bosses&boss=43296)

Ridan
01-16-2011, 02:25 AM
Im abit curios to how shields work in this fight. Any more insight on the disc play in this one?

klausi
01-16-2011, 02:34 AM
You need to be above 10k hp, absorb doesn't count in there.

Nalesean
01-18-2011, 12:39 PM
Shields aren't useless during Feud! We were having problems with attrition over the course of the fight, which led to fewer people to split damage during feud, and further deaths. We decided that it was easier to fix damage during feud and asked both of our holy priests to switch to disc, and glyph for Power Word: Barrier (increases healing taken by 10% while under the bubble). PW:B reduces all damage taken by those inside by 30%, no max damage, for 10 seconds. If you lay this down 10-15 seconds into the cast and rotate priests, you will be able to mitigate 2 of 3 slimes every single feud. Making this change took us from 60% wipes due to attrition to hitting the enrage timer. now we need to swap a healer to dps, and let our dps switch their focus from survival during feud to... well... dps.

Tsy
01-19-2011, 12:10 PM
It's healing done.

Oh that's a giant /facepalm on my part.

Someone mentioned the boss has a normal swing timer of 5 seconds; is that accurate?

Nalesean
01-20-2011, 11:28 AM
Yep, 5 seconds - when he hard enrages (8 minutes, I believe) the swing speeds up by 150%.

deathnite
01-22-2011, 11:23 AM
How did you get grid to show current health remaining instead of deficit? I looked all over the options menu, couldn't find it.

Luvaria
01-22-2011, 02:25 PM
I don't bother with how much health they have, but when a player is under 10k they get a debuff that says something like "close to death", that's just what I look for and heal until that goes away.

Phonixy
01-24-2011, 06:33 AM
Anyone that could tell me the cooldown on his Double Attack? Only thing i can find about it is that he fairly often gets this buff.

We where progression on this last night, we were having problems keeping our tanks alive and i find it near to impossible to land a heal on the tank just between the two strikes, even word of glory is to slow.
Only thing that i could think of that would prevent tanks from dieing is for them to use/get cooldown so they don't go below 10k health on the first strike.
What is your experience with this on 25man?

iots
01-24-2011, 07:56 AM
You're supposed to use an offtank with full or near full health(enough to take 1hit and not go under 10k) to taunt whenever boss gets the double strike buff.

Vaxum
01-24-2011, 02:45 PM
We werent using PW:B because we didnt have any priests. Now we have 2, I'm sure we'll run them as disc for HM attempts and PW:B goodness.

gming18
01-24-2011, 03:10 PM
Hi, frequent reader but new poster here. Does anyone know the cooldown of the double attack ability? I'm trying to think-tank the possibility of using intervene to counter the double-attack, thus making it only a one tank fight. Is this feasible?

My idea is that if you intervene the main tank after Chimaeron receives the double attack buff, the first attack will be taken by the intervener, and the second will be taken by the main tank, and both targets will live with 1 HP.

klausi
01-25-2011, 02:08 AM
Intervene doesn't work on double-attack because it's a style instead of a regular hit.

Double attacks casts occur roughly every 15s, regulary you only have to worry about every second one thanks to massacre. And on normal mode it's of course delayed via feud.

cultofluna
01-25-2011, 05:01 AM
Ok,can someone explain when hes about to cast double attack. Because, when I was trying to do this fight today and was taunting when dbm said double attack, I was still missing them and then healers would complain that I was missing them. I did ask the other tank and in raid how do I know when he's going to double attack but nobody seemed to know.

lonie
01-25-2011, 07:16 AM
Should have a claw icon then his next attack is double attack

Its a buff he puts on himself to clarify.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070106064150/wowwiki/images/6/60/Ability_devour.png (http://www.wowwiki.com/index.php?title=Chimaeron&image=Ability_devour-png)

izzyotta
01-25-2011, 02:21 PM
For us using one tank in 10man is so much easier.

We are currently 10/12 normal modes, so not great geared/amazing players but we found this boss really simple with this strat:

1 tank (feral druid)
3 healers
6 dps

1 healer (shammy in this case) on me the tank
1 healer (pally) on group 1 with beacon on me
1 healer (druid) on group 2 with LB's on me with he could.

Idea was the shammy healed NO-ONE but me, and the pally and druid could only heal others once their group was sorted.

Basically it means I am around 50-60% hp almost all of the time and the double attacks are not a problem. I rotate my cd's all of the time to help with healing me.

With this amount of dps it means we only get 3 feuds and we kill him very quickly in final phase. For example I managed to tank him down to 10% of his hp, he ran to our spriest next, he faded, he ran to the mage, and before he got to the mage he died. During 1st feud we use a tranq from me the feral tank, second the spriest divine hymn, and 3rd the resto druid tranq.

And of course, i was using full dodge/agi trinkets for max dodge. Was around 38% dodge during the fight which let me dodge alot of double attacks.

supmeow
01-25-2011, 09:38 PM
Did this fight tonight and was a lot of fun!

Setup:

Fury Warrior
Prot Paladin

6 DPS, 3 Healers.

I main tanked the boss as fury and even in zerker stance, getting misdirects and getting hit or crit down to 1 hitpoint (because of the bile-o-tron bot) every 5 seconds from the boss' melee swings. (hello ragebar :D)

My Prot Paladin would taunt (without righteous fury up) a second or two after the boss got the double attack buff. (i think the buff is like an 'on next swing' type of thing. this is why he delayed it so that i would rip aggro right back off after he took the hit)

Very fast fight! we were kind of sloppy at the end, but we are definitely going to do this fight like this from now on.

link to the video (hopefully youtube processes it quickly to view above 240p quality)
PoV of a Mage DPS guildie. (he dies lol! he thought the phase2 was at 25%)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEzYNwUg4rk

Nehama
01-28-2011, 12:51 AM
It's healing done.

I'm not sure on the wording, I do know as a fact that it reduces the healing your healers do on you as a tank. Our paladin is in charge of healing the tanks and he uses one spell to heal through one break [above 10k], one spell to heal the tank with 2 stacks of break, but then he starts using 2 spells to top the break taking tank over 10k. [Not too sure on spell names, but it proves that the healing the paladin does on the tank is less efficent with every stack of break.]

And since I'm already commeting, another commet, tactic wise:

Imo, as mentioned before a MUCH easier way to do it is not swap tanks for break.

What we have to do is having the MT [me, warrior, slightly better geared then the OT] take the double attacks and a paladin take the normal hits. Normal hits will never kill a tank as long as he's above 10k hp [which even with 4 stacks of break, the maximum you'll have before a fued is easily doable. Another healer can help if really needed - we have the OT in range for priest's prayer of mending and I think he also had ES off a shaman.] and he only does double attack 2 or three times between fueds - enough time for our pally to top me to 60-70%. I can take 2 hits then easy, spacially if I save up my shield block and tinket CD's [both avoidance, + parry + dodge on use] for that double attack. Do no fear break stacking above 4, as that's when fued comes and stacks reset.

Generally speaking, the weaker tank gets whacked all the time and only healed to above 10k, the stronger geared tank takes the double attacks. You just aim the boss, and whenever the icon of 'double attack' apears, have the double attack tank taunt. When it's off, the other tank taunts back.

Once our pally tank sorts a DPS os, we're going to try and do the fight with 1 tank. As mentioned in the hc version, a plate dps can work for soaking normal hits just aswell as a tank. Theoreticly, it can even be a cloth healer that takes tho hits... :D

Tsy
01-28-2011, 07:26 AM
We only had a couple of attempts on this boss last night, and I have some questions.

25 man. 2 tanks, 7 heals, 16 dps.

I've got the healers to the point where they are healing raid to just over 10k HP, and the tank healers are keeping the tanks up (we were tank swaping, but we're going to change that tonight).

The issue is when he Massacres and knocks the Bile-o-tron offline. We all stack in front of the boss where the tank is. The boss starts feuding. We are healing as much as possible. I can't say that everyone in the raid is at 100%, but we're healing as much as we can, for the full 30 seconds. 15 seconds later, he starts throwing his Yuck-Bolts at us, the first one hurts, the second one kills, and the third is just a big *middle finger* to us.

We have never lived through one Feud phase.

What are we doing wrong?

Ridan
01-28-2011, 07:42 AM
A would rigg a few things.
1. Try 8 healers abit harder enrage wise but works well if you got the dps.
2. Make damn sure your dps helps out. Healthstones bandages etc is a key thing here.
3. Disc priest in raid? Use barrier.
4. Make sure your healers have assiigns and push out every ground healing effekt U got.

Fallie
01-31-2011, 10:02 AM

Setup:

Fury Warrior
Prot Paladin

6 DPS, 3 Healers.

I main tanked the boss as fury and even in zerker stance, getting misdirects and getting hit or crit down to 1 hitpoint (because of the bile-o-tron bot) every 5 seconds from the boss' melee swings. (hello ragebar :D)

My Prot Paladin would taunt (without righteous fury up) a second or two after the boss got the double attack buff. (i think the buff is like an 'on next swing' type of thing. this is why he delayed it so that i would rip aggro right back off after he took the hit)

Very fast fight! we were kind of sloppy at the end, but we are definitely going to do this fight like this from now on.

link to the video (hopefully youtube processes it quickly to view above 240p quality)

Holy shit, that's a great idea. Can't wait to try it out with my guild.

smep
02-01-2011, 12:12 PM
does Darkmoon Card: Greatness work in lifting you above the 10k mark?

I can do the math, so it makes sense that it would. just wondering if anyone has tried it yet.

Gulvak
02-04-2011, 01:34 PM
Has anyone had any experience with a double attack being clipped off by massacre? I've noticed this but on certain attempts it happened later in the fight. However it seems when the first double attack gets clipped it's certain every other double attack will get clipped

Roughly it's like

double attack -> double attack (massacre is at like 5 seconds or less) -> massacre happens instead of double attack -> feud -> repeat

It seems like it should be a good way to free up raid heals to get everyone 10k+ for the upcoming massacre. Since the sponge tank only needs to be above 10k for it. Is this something anyone else finds useful, or have they found any particular way to manipulate or use it to their advantage?

Yoakie
02-04-2011, 02:07 PM
The hardest part of the encounter is surviving feud. In order to surive it you can do the following things (there is also a good guide on this at: http://25man.com/cata-guides/chimaeron). Basically you do the following:

- Feud last 30 seconds, so dont pop every cooldown in the first 10 seconds, take 30 seconds into account.
- Use light-well left and right of the middle: and let everyone click it when stacking up

Use the following cooldowns:
(Prot) Paladins – Divine Sacrifice (aka raidwall) and/or Divine Guardian
Resto Druids - Tranquility
Disc Priests - PW:Barrier
Resto Shamans – Healing rain, Shadow priests use hymn,
Holy Paladins - Divine Favor and Avenging Wrath (+Holy Radiance) and Guardian of Ancient Kings
Holy priests spamm PoH

- Especially PW: Barrier helps gigantically much. If you struggle let one priest spec disc and get PW: barrier.
- Also let DPS Shamans/paladins etc help with healing during feud (let them Stop DPS and help with healing).
- Having more than 7 healers shouldnt be needed (8 is a bit on the high side).
- If you still struggle it might be something with assignments or gear.

Nooburn
02-06-2011, 11:53 AM
As my guild's healer lead, I've assigned healers this way:

Holy priests: 6 targets. Stay in heal chakra, Heal if one target gets Caustic Slime'd, Heal+HWS if two, PoH if more than two, Binding Heal+PoH if yourself and 2-3 in your assigned group. Pick a ranged DPSer to be your PoH target that's somewhere within 30 yards of the rest.

Druids: tank healing. Roll LB on the MT and keep the OT (double strike tank) at full

Rsham: 3 targets. HW if one, RT+HW if two, RT+HW+HW if three, or RT+HW+Unleash Elements. If RT's on CD start using HS instead. If the HW glyph heals for enough, they can take 4 targets including themselves, but I'm not sure.

Hpal: 5 targets, including themselves. Bacon on one target, HL for one non-bacon target, HL+WoG if two, 2FoL+WoG if three. There's JUST time in between Caustic Slimes (5 seconds?).

Disc priest: GTFO and respec something useful. Sure PWB is good but PoH+CoH is good too, and this way you won't be forced into tank healing.

Shadow priests at least, maybe retardins as well do not need to be healed for Caustic Slime.

Ridan
02-07-2011, 12:30 AM
Disc priest: GTFO and respec something useful. Sure PWB is good but PoH+CoH is good too, and this way you won't be forced into tank healing.

This gotta be one of the most ignorant things ive read in here. Playing disc at chim currently and honestly I can easily win any meter on this fight and I can REALLY easy keep up 5 ppl during the hole encounter hence I keep 5 ppl up no issue at al. Adding barrier during feud and I can do this blind. So if you are assigning your healers to 1 group and got a decent disc folling U this is face roll on atleast 1 group

Nooburn
02-08-2011, 08:06 AM
Yeah, I was being flippant, chill out. I didn't think Discipline was well suited to Chimaeron and I'm not the only one that feels this way. Being forced into PoH on Caustic Slime doesn't seem great, are you using Penance/Flash for <2 targets? Either way seems mana inefficient, but if you're comfortable taking a group and don't have issues that's great. I'm not sure what you mean by "folling".

Also the meter part is irrelevant obviously.

muffer44
02-10-2011, 01:45 AM
What is the addon that the hpally is using for his holy power? i would like to use that as well if they are willing to share addon thanks!

Elwindace
02-15-2011, 12:54 PM

Setup:

Fury Warrior
Prot Paladin

6 DPS, 3 Healers.

fury gear, tank gear, or mix?

Garkon
03-13-2011, 06:15 PM
We completed this fight tonight after about 2 hours of wiping. Our setup was as follows:

Tanks:
Protection Paladin
Retribution Paladin

Heals:
3x Resto Druid
1x Resto Shama

DPS:
Rogue
Warrior
Hunter x2

We had no problem with the enrage time on this fight what so ever. We also found the use of the retribution paladin as a break absorbing tank to be ver effective. Just have the prot pali take the actual hit from Double Attack. Also as ret its hand to have Divine Storm on spam to help keep ppl above the 10k.

Over all a very fun fight. My heart was racing in those last few seconds! :)

Felycitas
03-20-2011, 06:44 PM
Intervene doesn't work on double-attack because it's a style instead of a regular hit.Intervene works to absorb a double attack hit. I know this because we did this tonight.

This method relies a bit on RNG because the warrior ran in to intervene and both him and the DPS tank got hit with a caustic slime then the double attack so they both died. Out of about 6 attempts this only happened once.

..and to clarify what's happening, because I think it's unfamiliarity with the skill..

Chimaeron casts the double attack buff. The warrior intervenes, which leaves a 10 second buff on the target intervened. Chimaeron eventually attacks (and then attacks immediately again). First attack goes to the warrior.. 2nd to whoever is highest on threat.

TitanPrime
03-22-2011, 03:03 PM
Intervene works to absorb a double attack hit. I know this because we did this tonight.

This method relies a bit on RNG because the warrior ran in to intervene and both him and the DPS tank got hit with a caustic slime then the double attack so they both died. Out of about 6 attempts this only happened once.

..and to clarify what's happening, because I think it's unfamiliarity with the skill..

Chimaeron casts the double attack buff. The warrior intervenes, which leaves a 10 second buff on the target intervened. Chimaeron eventually attacks (and then attacks immediately again). First attack goes to the warrior.. 2nd to whoever is highest on threat.

If I understand this correctly this would make the double attack mechanic MUCH easier, whilst freeing up healer capacity.
i.e. The Main Tank takes Chim the whole time stacking break up high. A warrior intervens the MT in time for double attack, such that the warrior takes the first hit and the MT takes the second effectively meaning that no one needs to be kept topped up, only kept above 10K so much less healing is focused on the tanks.

Posts i've read else where suggest that the intervening warrior would infact take BOTH of the double attacks (even without the glyph) which would make taunt swapping a better way.

edit: typo's corrected

Felycitas
03-25-2011, 06:10 PM
Posts i've read else where suggest that the intervening warrior would infact take BOTH of the double attacks (even without the glyph) which would make taunt swapping a better way.We were doing this on regular 10 mode. When executed properly (IE: the intervene is done in time).. the DPS tank and intervening warrior were both dropping to 1 health after a double attack.

Dunno what to tell you. I should start logging more :P

Wale
05-09-2011, 01:20 AM
Intervene works perfectly, only issue if you have one warrior is that you can only use this every other double attack.
Break effects healing done, not healing recived.

PS Nice video

Spacingangel
05-20-2011, 04:07 AM
Actually once you get him down the first time, he isnt that hard anymore. We spend 2 nights wiping on him before we finally killed him. Then the second kill we actually one-shotted him :D

But the reason for this post is, that it think i figured out the time frame of his massacre. I'm the pala tank i my team and when we stack up i use Holy Radiance. It has a 1 min couldown. Then when i look at the cooldown its takes aprox 55-57 second between my first cast and his next System Failure.

I hope some one could confirm this.

Fayre
05-20-2011, 04:48 AM
Massacre is every 30 seconds.

SargentFC
05-20-2011, 12:28 PM
@Fayre: Massacre and Systems fail (feud) are two different things. Systems fail means the bot is offline and people CAN die, when the bot is online though people cannot be dropped more then 1 health (other then the tank(s)).

Vong
05-31-2011, 08:38 AM
So we had our 2nd attempt on this boss last night and we got creamed.
Raid was as follows.

MT- Bear
Soak Tank - Warrior (me)

Pally - healing me with beacon on MT and dk
Shammy -
Druid -

DPS
Frost DK
Lock
Mage
Hunter
Boomer

Shammy was on boomer, hunter and soak tank
Druid was on lock and Mage and me.

Double attacks seemed no problem I'm 190k buffed so can eat them easy enough. Prob we seemed to have was fued. We group up pop healing rain and Druid pops tranq. But when the spot balls hit and just before we split up for massacre we lose 2-3 each time. We where trying to save the boomers tranq for next offline phase but losing dps and or a healer it's just wipe it start again.
Any ideas? Are we healing wrong targets?
Any help gratefully received ts.

Vong.

Reev
05-31-2011, 08:52 AM
So we had our 2nd attempt on this boss last night and we got creamed.
Raid was as follows.

MT- Bear
Soak Tank - Warrior (me)

Pally - healing me with beacon on MT and dk
Shammy -
Druid -

DPS
Frost DK
Lock
Mage
Hunter
Boomer

Shammy was on boomer, hunter and soak tank
Druid was on lock and Mage and me.

Double attacks seemed no problem I'm 190k buffed so can eat them easy enough. Prob we seemed to have was fued. We group up pop healing rain and Druid pops tranq. But when the spot balls hit and just before we split up for massacre we lose 2-3 each time. We where trying to save the boomers tranq for next offline phase but losing dps and or a healer it's just wipe it start again.
Any ideas? Are we healing wrong targets?
Any help gratefully received ts.

Vong.

Couple suggestions. First, make everyone bandage for the first part of massacre before the spits, to help get people up.

Second, keep the healers as close to the collapse location as possible during the spread out non-feud phase so that they have the least moving time to get there and start healing people.

Third, you can shaman totem one, tranquility another, and Tree of Life a third, by which time, the totem should be back up. You also have Aura Mastery. If you have any where the healers seem like they'll have extra trouble (everything is on cooldown or something), have your dps use personal damage reduction cooldowns.

4th, if worse comes to worst, you can always have your DK go unholy and pop an anti-magic zone.

Vong
06-01-2011, 12:06 AM
Ok ty for those suggestions will make some changes fOr tonites attempt.

Thankyou.

Vong

Reev
06-02-2011, 06:50 AM
By the way, I'm wrong on Aura Mastery. Resistance Aura doesn't affect Nature damage. Aspect of the Wild will, though, as well as Mirror of Broken Images.

Zellviren
06-03-2011, 03:25 AM
A: You should lust as soon as you get into the phase, while everyone is still alive. I'd even say slightly before the phase.
B: Bloodlust/Heroism sub 20% does not make a difference in the speed of a boss kill. Using Heroism at 100% or using heroism at 20%, the boss will still die in the exact same amount of time. Therefore, BL/Heroism use should be based on having trinket and damage increasing cooldowns available, boss phases that require it, and soft enrages to increase healing (Council is a good example of this). However, there is no benefit to using heroism in execute range.
This one statement caused me a lot of grief last night, as a guild member of mine read it and misunderstood. I could be stating the blatantly obvious here, but it's worth clarifying for the sake of my own sanity.

What Papapaint is saying is correct - using Bloodlust at certain times is pretty much equivalent regardless of boss health because stacking as many cooldowns as possible will yield the best net result. What he's NOT saying is that you should be fine to use Bloodlust prior to Chimaeron's P2, because there is an obvious soft enrage that requires the additional DPS (which he mentions, but my guildmate missed it).

You should ideally be saving Bloodlust for the 22-21% as it'll push the phase faster, help healers to top everyone off and give you a good head start on the last of Chimaeron's health.

As a side note:

The agonising wipes tend to happen because your damage slows to a crawl at around 5%. This, invariably, is because it's only your healers that are left up at the conclusion of the fight and their damage contribution is mediocre. Therefore, every DPS class with an aggro dump should use it pretty much on cooldown and your healers NEVER should. This means they'll get killed first, leaving the DPS up for longer to do their jobs (10 man heroic). If you want to be REALLY clever, we did a bit of experimenting with bear, paladin and shaman taunts earlier in the fight when the Bile-O-Tron was up in order to raise their threat. It works, but it's not strictly necessary.

And I still ABSOLUTELY DETEST this fight. I don't know a single person who likes it. Let's have no more fights like this please, Blizzard.

Fetzie
06-03-2011, 05:08 AM
The boss takes 10% more damage when Mortality is up --> http://www.wowhead.com/spell=82934. Therefore it does actually make a difference when you bloodlust.

Zellviren
06-05-2011, 04:04 AM
The boss takes 10% more damage when Mortality is up --> http://www.wowhead.com/spell=82934. Therefore it does actually make a difference when you bloodlust.
Exactly.

My guildmate took Papapaint's statement "there is no benefit to using [Bloodlust] in execute range" literally and assumed it was applicable to Chimaeron, which it's not.

You should absolutely be saving it for the final burn.