PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Been lurking here for a bit and could use some guidance.

Arnaz
12-14-2010, 02:13 PM
Long story short is I have been playing WoW for a while. Did a lot of MT in BC, where in WoLK for a little bit and then took a 18 month break from the game. I bought a new house, work was nuts had surgery... blah blah blah.

Needless to say I come back, my gear is crap and I have had about a month to gear up for Cata. Needless to say I am behind.

I am really looking for some concise direction on what gear to target, what to work on, (I know there is a lot) and any helpful points to get back into Prot Warrior tanking.

I have bretty much been doing DPS with my furry build to help aquaire tanking gear up till now. I MTed in BD the other night with a group of RL friends and it went well. I have o say getting back to tanking was the most fun I have had since I have been back. Stil to get where I would like to get back to after such a long break I figured it was tame to ask some direct questions.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Not sure how accurate armory is these days but here is my toon:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/alleria/arnaz/simple

Timberton
12-15-2010, 04:39 AM
1. You are not behind
2. All the gear you gathered up for cata will get replaced with greens after entering the cata starting zones
3. Focus on the "obvious" plate tanking pieces and don't neglect mastery rating.

Bosk
12-15-2010, 05:35 AM
By 'don't neglect Mastery rating' I think he means keep an eye out for sweet 'dps' items with mastery and no dodge or parry. These items will be great upgrades until (if) you replace them with 'proper' tanking gear.

Theotherone
12-15-2010, 07:59 AM
By 'don't neglect Mastery rating' I think he means keep an eye out for sweet 'dps' items with mastery and no dodge or parry. These items will be great upgrades until (if) you replace them with 'proper' tanking gear.

Good point, I had thought of this, but wasn't sure how good an idea it would be. I may just change out the higher level dps pieces I've picked up for off spec for lower level tank gear. Thanks.

Arnaz
12-16-2010, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the feedback. So far I have MTed Blackrock Caverns, Throne of the Tides and now Stonecore. In talking with guildmates, they feel that my style of tanking actually an asset. Apparently by missing much of WoLK I never developed some of the bad habits that were adopted as a result of playing during that over geared time. I guess I will take their word for it hehe.

You guys have been dead on though. Looks like Cata is providing everything I need. It is just up to me to refine my rotations from here and keep getting better gear.