PDA

View Full Version : Paladin Avoidance and Tanking Heroics?

Pierrick
12-14-2010, 09:39 AM
I was just wondering, but what are the appropriate avoidance numbers to start start tanking Heroic Cataclysm dungeons?

I'm nearly there with my ilevel (currently fluctuating between 327 and 328 depending on what quest rewards I haven't sold yet). However, I'm incredibly worried about my avoidance.

At the moment, I only have (roughly) 11.5% Dodge, 13% Parry, and while my block is respectable, I feel that it's a touch too low, before factoring in Holy Shield (about 32%).

I've been having minimal threat issues, and those that I have have been easily accounted for by overzealous DPS and/or improper use of CC, which I've been getting the hang of as I run Stonecore for the dragon's trinket. While 8/10 times I run an instance, I do just fine and don't die...objectively looking at the numbers I feel rather squishy, despite my survival saying otherwise and the fact that most of the time my healer comes out of a fight with a considerable amount of mana left. At the moment, my gear is largely consisting of the suggested gear to start tanking heroics (boots and a stopgap trinket excepted, but those are in my inventory...and the dragon is what I'm working towards, along with unlocking Therazane for its gear). Even with those upgrades, however, I can't imagine getting more than one or two more percentage points each in dodge and parry even after those upgrades are accounted for.

I guess my question is this: is avoidance supposed to be relatively low when it comes to pre-Heroic gear, and they'll jump up to more 'appropriate' numbers later on?

Reev
12-14-2010, 09:40 AM
The answer is don't worry about it. Get to the minimum 329 needed, and have fun. Just make sure you use your full tanking toolkit and your dps uses theirs.

Bashal
12-14-2010, 09:56 AM
is avoidance supposed to be relatively low when it comes to pre-Heroic gear, and they'll jump up to more 'appropriate' numbers later on?

Yes. It's the same way for everyone, tank, healer or dps, and their respective stats like crit/hit/expertise/chocolatebunnies/whatever.

Pierrick
12-14-2010, 10:02 AM
Thank you both for that. I was just worried, especially when in talking with another tank in my guild, though only 82, she had a good 4-6% avoidance on me in both dodge and parry, simply with the crated obsidium armour set. Had me a bit worried, and while I thought it was intentional that it was just a case of brutal scaling of the avoidance charts, but I wanted to be sure.

sifuedition
12-14-2010, 10:55 AM
Statistical regression is why they have more. Each time you level, you need more rating on the gear to reach the same % number on the character sheet. Blizz has indicated that even int the highest tier of cata, they don't want our avoidance as high as it was at the end of wotlk.

katsuya
12-14-2010, 12:21 PM
One of the real keys over avoidence is to learn what to expect from the pulls in normal. I run through normal on my pally and dont even have to CC but when you make the change to heroic, I try to use every CC possible in the group. As I have been gearing up I have noticed that it isn't as needed as when I first started heroics, but being able to effectively menuver the mobs to not break the CC and learning what to CC, (to me) is more important then worrying about the gear you are wearing.

xenogriff
12-15-2010, 08:30 AM
you can't compare your stats to a level 82 in equivalent gear

Diminishing returns hurts a lot at 85 more than at 82 - right now its just a matter of regearing and then thinking about how to reforge/gem/enchant to make your stats balanced.

atm, i'm focusing more on hit and expertise for threat before going avoidance/sta - i'm really hating my shield missing/hits parried and then having to scramble to re-establish aggro over dps that still havent learned that they need to get over the wotlk mindset

xenogriff
12-17-2010, 07:29 AM
also, one other thing - u mentioned about factoring in holy shield

i just noticed this myself but holy shield no longer gives 15% additional block chance - it increases the amount of damage blocked by 10%