PDA

View Full Version : Warrior "Requirements" for tanking heroics?

Ellóren
12-14-2010, 02:31 AM
Hi guys,

I asked a similar question about Priests in the Healing forum, and now I'm levelling my Protection Warrior and am wondering what I should aim for before I hit a heroic at level 85. Sure, i level 329+ - that's the easy part.

What I'm looking for is not numbers set in stone (I doubt they exist, as it always depends on play style and skill and other factors), but guidelines. In Wrath you had to be def capped and ideally hit capped as well, and have a certain health pool. What are the numbers for Cata heroics? How much health should I have as a minimum? Expertise 26, hit capped? Parry and dodge around 21%, or more, if so how much...? You see what I'm getting at.

Any advice or even just opinions would be much appreciated :)

captanmurdoc
12-14-2010, 07:21 AM
hit and expertise cap arent too important as long as your rotatiton is good, just enough to hold aggro. health wise id aim for around 120k unbuffed health minimum and around 11% dodge and parry and 30%+ block with around 32500 armor. this is the bare minimum and cc is going to important every pull but these numbers, some cc and decent heals and dps you should be able to get through without too much trouble.

Reev
12-14-2010, 07:31 AM
I ran heroics starting at 329 ilvl, and paid no real attention to my stats beyond that and did fine.

At this point, I'd concentrate far more on learning the fights, using your full tanking toolkit, and ensuring your dps are using their full toolkit, rather than worrying about your stats. I'm pretty sure all the heroic fights are tankable with 329 gear, if they are being done correctly.

Ellóren
12-14-2010, 09:08 AM
Thanks for both replies! Reev, I was going to start anyway right after I ding. Like you, I believe in skill and knowledge (of the fights) above stats and gear. I'm not scared, I only posted this because I was wondering what the new "hallmark" numbers are :)

Captanmurdoc, that's pretty much exactly what I was looking for so thanks a bunch! It's good to know what to aim for while gearing up over the last level or so.

Illidra
12-14-2010, 09:11 AM
my advice - take good dps that you knwo that will cc things well.

Terra
12-14-2010, 09:14 AM
I started tanking heroics the second the queue would let me in. Was still wearing some ilvl 318 greens, no biggie. My health pool was 126k buffed (Bear). It was a little rough because everyone I was queueing with at the time was only just barely ilvl 329 as well so we had no support from someone who had already done it. Basically my opinion is if the skill is there, then as long as the system let's you queue for it, you should be capable of doing it unless of course you're only able to queue because of that spell-caster gear you're wearing that is not meant to be worn as a tank. I'm now typically 165k health and I still have to work to keep things running smoothly, but my guildies have developed the rhythm and as long as ccs are handled efficiently, things can move along nicely. Even in my gear, I insist on CC even though I *could* in many cases do without, it still drains the healers mana more if we don't use it which means slower in the long run.

TL;DR: Don't worry bout your stats much, if you are ilvl 329 and all the gear you're wearing is meant to be tanked in, do it!

Theotherone
12-14-2010, 09:15 AM
lvl 389 gear or God mode cause the PuGs are freaking idiots.

Reev
12-14-2010, 09:17 AM
my advice - take good dps that you knwo that will cc things well.

CC, interrupts, stuns, self heals, enrage removal, etc. There are many things a good dps now does to help handle heroics.

Ellóren
12-15-2010, 02:14 AM
Thanks for the replies, that's encouraging. I also have to stop blaming myself when people in PuGs act like idiots. I can't save everyone anymore the way I was able to in Wrath dungeons when we all outgeared them by a mile.

Having said that, I'm going to give myself a refresher crash-course on the different classes' cc and interrupt abilities and what kind of mobs they can be used on because that kind of knowledge has become a little rusty :)