PDA

View Full Version : The Lost City of Tol'vir (Heroic)

Ciderhelm
12-12-2010, 10:35 PM
HhxjeC8hajk

Hello, and welcome to Tankspot's Cataclysm Heroic Dungeon Guide. My name is Papapaint, and in this video I will be discussing the Heroic versions of the bosses in Lost City of Tol'vir. This guide will assume you are already familiar with the regular versions of these encounters. For the most part, the bosses retain their original abilities, but with increased damage. Additional guides for single bosses within the instance are also available, so be sure to look for those if you're looking for information on a specific encounter.

General Husam has gained no new abilities, but the fight has still drastically changed. He's turbo-charged his land mine production, and spends the entire fight dropping bombs on every free patch of ground he can find. This fight has gone from having slight movement to requiring your group to be on the move almost constantly. It's almost impossible to keep him in one spot, so be prepared to have your entire group moving. He retains his other abilities as well, so there's a lot to watch out for as you go bomb dodging.

Stay on the move and avoid bombs; if you do these two things well enough, Husam will tip over without too much difficulty.

Lockmaw remains relatively unchanged in terms of abilities, but an entire boss fight has been added. Rather than just bug you while you beat up his crocodile buddy, Augh will steal your loot, frenzy, and engage your party. He's not too complex, but he does dish out some heavy tank damage--particularly with his poison blow dart debuff. He also will make dust clouds similar to Lockmaw's Tail Whip, reducing accuracy, and occasionally sleep members of your party.

During the Lockmaw part of the encounter, however, it's prudent to kite the little crocs around as much as possible--their bleed stacks up pretty quickly.

Do what you can to reduce the damage to your party during both of these encounters, primarily by testing out your kiting skills, and you'll be on your way in no time.

High Prophet Barim now requires significant kiting. A new add, Blaze of the Heavens, has been added to the fight. Blaze of the Heavens is a phoenix with an AoE fire aura as well as a nasty habit of leaving trails of fire behind him. Since the phoenix will simply ressurect whenever you kill it, it's prudent to simply have your tank kite the phoenix and Barim around a bit.

Barim's chain lightning, previously fairly minor damage, now hits quite hard. Your group should be spread out to minimize this damage. Also, solar beams can quickly take out a DPS if they're slow to notice--be on your toes.

The shadow realm is now significantly more damage, and the Consecrated area surrounding Barim deals pretty nasty damage. In addition, every soul fragment gained by the Shadow Phoenix will crank up the Aura damage even more, so continue kiting! Just be careful not to kite onto the consecration.

The kiting added to this fight makes it a much more dynamic experience, and defensive cooldowns are once again fantastic ways to keep your healer in the game. Stay alive, avoid fire, consecration, solar beams, and chain lightning, and you'll down Barim with ease.

Siamat is somewhat disappointing after the heavy movement and alterations to the other encounters. He remains almost entirely the same, but with higher damage output. Do this fight as you would on normal, but be certain to take extra care kiting him away from hurricanes. His AoE is even nastier than before, but the execution and healing requirements of this fight are much lower than the previous 3 heroic bosses in this instance.

Thanks for watching this guide. As always, feel free to ask questions or post suggestions either in the comment box on youtube, or on the official thread on Tankspot. Subscribe to this channel to stay up-to-date on future Cataclysm information, including guides to the new raid bosses.

Zantam
12-13-2010, 05:01 AM
Excellent vid. Just wanted to add that if you have big dps cooldowns such as time warp / blood lust / heroism, you want to save them for the Shadow realm phase on Barim, and for phase 2 of Siamat.

All in all, Barim is one of the most challenging, rewarding, and epic fights of the 5-man heroic content right now, imho. Of course, if you're doing it this week while everyone is still in blue-greens :)

Quinafoi
12-13-2010, 08:36 AM
At this time I'm uncertain if this is intended or a bug but currently it is possible to fight Lockmaw independent of Augh for the most part by actually fighting him inside the building behind him. By tanking Lockmaw in the doorway, preferably with his tail sticking out, you can expose the flanks of the boss for dps while also channeling all of the smaller crocs through the confined doorway. Additionally once Lockmaw is defeated if you remain in the building, Augh does not engage immediately allowing you to fully replenish inbetween. Naturally you would still choose to fight Augh outside giving you more room to avoid his whirlwind.

Since this building was placed very convenently there for this encounter I'm not surprised that it may be intended to be used in this manner to make the encounter easier. I think it may be there as more than a decoration and intended to be used, however, like I said I have no idea what Blizzard's true intentions were. For example, is the fight just that much easier simply because we did it the "right" way? I don't know.

Nicoeky
12-14-2010, 09:26 PM
Just a suggestion or question about High Prophet Barim. After doing this instance over 10 times allready on heroic i nodiced (from the first time allready) that the Phoenix does a lot of AoE dmg on the melee. We found it easyer for 1 range to kite kill it while the other 2 dps kill's gets the boss to his shadow realm phase. Also there most groups i have been in found it easyer for the me to stand still and only move when the a Soul fragment got close again having 1 person kill the add while the others kill the boss.

The question, Is it easyer to kite this boss and have the tank get the add. Or would it be easyer for 1 dps to take it down.

Then there's 1 more thing either a suggestion or comment.

On Lockmaw most groups i been in found it easyer to let the tank to taunt all the croc's to avoid group dmg. Off course this is more logical for a paladin seeing they have a 8 second taunt that takes 3 targets at once.

As for Augh the question is does he reset agro after his wirlwind. I found him specially hard to tank and run to several dps without any reason. Even when i used all cooldowns to build massive tps

Quinafoi
12-15-2010, 08:41 AM
You should definately have a ranged DPS kite the Pheonix in the normal realm because of the AoE damage it causes. A single ranged DPS can easily get agro on it and kite it away. Rather than having people trying to avoid it, simply assign someone to pull it away. DoTs alone will hold aggro off a healer. The normal phase isn't exactly a DPS race, it's a don't stand in fire and the boss will gradually be widdled down phase, as such it is trivial to pull one DPS off the boss partially (keep in mind you can kite and still do some DPS to the boss). One person sacrifices their epeen on the meters for the success of the group, that is always a worth while trade. The second phase is the only DPS race part of this encounter.

Bovinity
12-15-2010, 08:44 AM
After doing this instance over 10 times allready on heroic i nodiced (from the first time allready) that the Phoenix does a lot of AoE dmg on the melee. We found it easyer for 1 range to kite kill it while the other 2 dps kill's gets the boss to his shadow realm phase.

I usually play taunt ping-pong with a ranged DPS for the phoenix in phase 1. Just let them blast away at it from a distance and when it's almost to them I taunt it, it comes toward me, turns and goes back to them, repeat. Shouldn't get a chance to AE anyone that way.

Zantam
12-15-2010, 08:55 AM
Same as Bovinity, it's the way to go.

Quinafoi
12-15-2010, 09:10 AM
If you are going to do the "ping-pong" technique, make sure the DPS is aware of that as well and make sure you are well aware of your range limits. I've had a tank doing that when the Pheonix was only like a few yards away from the melee and I actually had to taunt it back because the fixate alone would have lasted long enough for it to get to the melee. It's easy enough though for the DPS to handle it on their own.

bombsaway
09-02-2011, 04:07 PM
I could not agree more about saving up for Shadow Realm. I learned that one the hard way when I first started playing the game at a local computing shop I found because of reading online reviews. One day I am looking online for a place to go learn the game, the next I am getting pwned in the shadow realm. Do you guys ever look online for reviews or have you heard of angies list (http://answers.angieslist.com/)?

Zee786
09-02-2011, 05:06 PM
Is any1 else having lag issues in this dungeon? I'm fine in all the others.