PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Gearing up an new 80 for tanking in Cata

Mtal555
12-12-2010, 08:02 PM
Hi all,

Well I have 3 80 alts (druid, DK and pally) and would like to try tanking with him (I have done it here and there while leveling but like to make a full time tank.)

I am still trying to decide which one to level, but one thing is for sure, my gear sucks on all of them.

So to get ready for Cata instances, how would you get gear? Is the gear rewards from questing good enough? What about the greens BS make, or maybe even greens on the AH? Maybe grind LK dungeons for some gear?

Thanks for any advice.

kungfugrip
12-12-2010, 09:37 PM
http://wow-pro.com/node/3275

Mammoth
12-13-2010, 06:33 AM
Do not run anything from Wrath to prepare for Cataclysm. Cataclysm quest rewards will gear you up for tanking instances and crafted greens can probably fill any holes if you want to start tanking sooner.

Theotherone
12-13-2010, 07:55 AM
Hit 85 yesterday on my DK and leveled in tank spec/gear; I can tell you most of my WoLK gear has been sold or DE'd - and it killed me to do it. The mobs in Hyjal and Vashn'jr drop level 78 and up BoE's so you can make the WoLK to Cata jump in questing gear. To put any effort into obtaining 264 or 251 gear is a pure waste at this point. In fact, save your Justice Points so you can buy the vendor blues.

I was in full 264s and started changing out my gear in Deepholm about 1/2 way to 83. I still have some of my WoLK gear on me, but that's just because I have not really analyzed the drops/rewards I've picked up. More just eyeballing the stuff; I have bags filled with plate gear waiting to be de'd or equipped.

Crittable
12-13-2010, 05:00 PM
I'm the same theotherone... just dinged 85 yesterday morning and have 3 epics left... gun and trinket, since I haven't found anything better to replace those two pieces while questing (for tanking), and cloak since cloaks are all about vanity to me. I hate the look of the half-length or split-down-the-middle cloaks and having to look at that all the time is more of a punishment to me than settling for the meesly stats of my 264 sentinel's cloak. Not showing my cloak is out of the question too... my orc needs to look pretty :-p

But like others have said, you'll gain the gear from questing. Within the first 2 hours of questing, I had already started replacing some of my 264 tanking pieces, leaving mainly tier gear and my 277 gear until about 83 when those started going as well. Just do the quests, save the BoE's that you would like, and the crafted stuff would definitely suit you well.

Selene
12-13-2010, 08:23 PM
Orcs look pretty? Since when.

uglie
12-14-2010, 02:35 AM
selene haven't you seen the dogs that are so ugly women call em cute?
Back to the topic. The day cata hit I was in all 264 on my dk. 2 days later I hit 85 and a lot of those pieces had been replaced. Now with cata a week old I'm in all blues except CSK but currently working for the JC stam trinket.

Ellóren
12-14-2010, 02:46 AM
Orcs look pretty? Since when.
Not pretty, but hot. Mmmm, Thrall... *voice trails off*

Ahem, back on topic now ;)