PDA

View Full Version : The Stonecore

Aliena
12-09-2010, 10:19 AM
hAwqhD-GbbQ

Hello, and welcome to Tankspot's Cataclysm Dungeon Guide. My name is Papapaint, and in this video I will be discussing the entirety of the Stonecore dungeon. Additional guides for single bosses within the instance are also available, so be sure to look for those if you're looking for information on a specific encounter.

Stonecore is the instance located in the Deepholm Zone, and is intended for players level 82 and above. There is a quest chain that players can immediately start upon zoning in and speaking to the NPC just to the left of the entrance. There is also another quest resulting from the Earthen Mother quest chain in Deepholm, so there is quite a lot of experience to be had from this single dungeon.

The difficulty is ramped up from Wrath of the Lich King dungeons, and this is clear during the very first trash packs. As you chase Millhouse Manastorm down the hallway, you will engage multiple packs of enemies. I strongly recommend DPSing down the Force of Earth first, as it has a particularly devastating AoE, and then Millhouse Manastorm. As long as Millhouse is engaged in combat, he will be casting AoE frostbolts, fearing single targets, and stunning your group with shadowfury, so be sure to spread out.

At the end of this chase, Millhouse will begin casting Impending Doom, summoning a large group of mobs to help him defend the Stonecore. As you approach him, a giant Worm will come bursting out of the side of the cave, launching Millhouse and his pals off into the distance.

Corborus is the first boss encounter of Stonecore. He has 3 key abilities, as well as a brief add phase. The first of these abilities is Dampening Wave. This spell deals a minor amount of shadow damage, and places a debuff on players absorbing the next 4,000 healing done. This can either be simply healed off the player or dispelled, whichever you prefer.

The second ability is Crystal Barrage. Corborus will target a player and begin vomiting little pink crystals on their location, dealing roughly 10,000 to 15,000 damage over 5 seconds. This is easily healed through, but a player can also simply move out of the affected area to negate all incoming damage entirely.

At 50%, Corborus will burrow and begin summoning Rock Borers. These adds deal ignorable damage, and only have 7k hp, so they are fairly easy to AoE down on the move--and you will be on the move. While burrowed, Corborus will pick a path for casting Thrashing Charge, an ability that deals a significant amount of damage and knocks anyone hit very far away. It is easy to avoid, however, by simply looking for the rumbling dusty earth--like most dangerous looking things in World of Warcraft, your best bet is to not stand on it.

Overall, it is a fairly simple, but enjoyable, encounter that promises to be difficult on heroic.

In the hallway following Corborus, you will encounter Crystalspawn Giants. They have an ability called quake, which deals a significant amount of damage to all players. You can avoid this, however, by jumping and being airborne during the end of his cast.

After a couple more trash packs, you will encounter Slabhide. Before engaging Slabhide in combat, you and your group will need to run a very simple gauntlet, dodging falling stalactites. If you see a black circle on the ground, avoid it.

Slabhide is the second boss encounter in The Stonecore. Still a student in Dragon School, Slabhide does NOT have a tail whip, and his frontal cone breath is fairly wimpy and has an extremely narrow area of effect. While engaged, he will frequently cast Eruption, which causes an area of the ground to rumble and explode, creating a magma pool. Any players on the affected area when it explodes will take roughly 10,000 fire damage, and any players standing in the magma pool will suffer 5,000 fire damage every second.

Shortly into the fight, Slabhide will fly into the air and begin calling down stalactites. If a player is hit by a falling stalactite, they will take around 15,000 damage and be knocked back from the impact. To avoid this, don't stand in black circles on the ground. After landing, these fallen stalactites will serve to block line of sight, so positioning is important for everyone.

This is an interesting encounter with quite a lot of movement. To recap: don't stand in lava circles, don't stand in black circles, and you should escape this encounter mostly unscathed.

The next hallway features two mobs of note: Stonecore Sentries and Stonecore Rift Conjurers. Stonecore Sentries need to be taken out immediately, or they will run around and alert the other mobs in the area of your arrival. Stonecore Rift Conjurers should be your next targets, as they summon waves of imps that can quickly get out of hand if not dealt with quickly.

Down the hallway you will encounter Ozruk. Ozruk is the third boss of The Stonecore. He has one ability that can immediately kill a player: shatter. This deals more damage the closer you are to Ozruk, so run away as he casts it.

He also has an ability called "Ground Slam". Ozruk will rear back and then beat the snot out of anyone within 8 yards of the impact point. This ability will also interrupt all spellcasting, so either stand at max range or be sure not to cast as he completes the Ground Slam.

Caster DPS needs to watch out for Elementium Bulwark, which gives Ozruk a 20% chance to reflect any spells targeting him.

Overall, Ozruk is the simplest encounter in The Stonecore. A little awareness goes a long way, so be sure to watch out for Ground Slam, Shatter, and Elementium Bulwark!

The final boss of the Stonecore is High Priestess Azil, and she presents players with an excellent challenge.

She begins the fight with an energy shield around her, reducing all incoming damage by 75%. Frequently throughout the fight, she will Force Grip her primary aggro target, rending them unable to act and slamming them against the ground multiple times, dealing around 15-20 thousand damage every impact. She will also summon giant void zones, which explode to create gravity wells. The Gravity Wells will deal more damage based on how close to the center players are, so if you somehow miss seeing the giant blue circle, get out of it ASAP.

During the fight, she will summon waves of Devout Followers. The tank should pick up as many of these as possible, particularly if a player is afflicted by Curse of Blood. Curse of Blood causes players to take an extra 1,000 physical damage on every hit, which adds up pretty quickly with swarms of adds.

Speaking of swarms of adds, Azil will occasionally re-shield herself, dealing around 10,000 arcane damage to everyone within 5 yards and knocking them back, then fly up to her altar. While up here, she will summon 3 giant rocks and fling them at your group one by one. If this weren't enough, she summons roughly one to two bazillion Devout Followers to attack your party.

Don't stand in void zones, let the tank pick up the adds, and avoid giant flying boulders, and this fight should give you very little trouble.

Thanks for watching this guide, and feel free to add comments on Youtube or on the official thread on Tankspot. If you want to learn more about Cataclysm encounters, including raids, then subscribe to the Zam Official channel on youtube.

Xuthal
12-09-2010, 11:05 AM
For those having trouble managing the adds on the last boss, you can drag them into the void zones or position them under the incoming boulders to kill them off quickly.

And take a moment to look around; this instance is beautifully rendered.

Xu

Papapaint
12-09-2010, 11:16 AM
For those having trouble managing the adds on the last boss, you can drag them into the void zones or position them under the incoming boulders to kill them off quickly.

And take a moment to look around; this instance is beautifully rendered.

Xu

Good advice, I will include this on the heroic guide.

Zxian
12-09-2010, 11:30 AM
I ran StoneCore with a few friends the other night - lots of fun to have a dungeon that wasn't just a bunch of facerolling again.

@Papapaint - Was that your first video for tankspot? If so, very well done. Clear explainations, clear speaking, and well summarized. Keep up the good work. :D

Reev
12-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Stonecore is soooo much cooler than BRC or ToT. I'm a little disappointed though, because I think they lowered the tuning on the dungeon from Beta to Live. When the last boss picked up my tank on Beta and tossed him around, it destroyed my full health pool and not getting a heal during it meant death. Something like 25k a tick for 3 ticks. It doesn't hit nearly that hard anymore. In fact, I don't even notice it.

The fun of Stonecore, though, is the trash, not the bosses. It takes me back to the Vanilla/TBC style of tanking, where you have to carefully choose who and when to pull. There were a couple times in my first run when we pulled at the wrong moment and got 2 groups of 5 or 6 mobs each. Somehow, I managed to gather them all back up, shield wall, last stand, etc, and we killed them both without incident. Also, I love all the trash that kills dps that's being stupid. I had a shaman in my group who refused to join the rest of us on vent, so he didn't know to get out of the flayers' flurry attack and it killed him nearly every time. Awesome.

Mangea
12-09-2010, 01:02 PM
Great announcer voice! The reverb is a nice touch, too. The whole video is informative and helpful. Thanks!

Papapaint
12-09-2010, 03:09 PM
I ran StoneCore with a few friends the other night - lots of fun to have a dungeon that wasn't just a bunch of facerolling again.

@Papapaint - Was that your first video for tankspot? If so, very well done. Clear explainations, clear speaking, and well summarized. Keep up the good work. :D

Thanks very much! I made the Heroic Halion 25m guide as well, but I'm hoping to be making a lot more for Cata.

vendeatha
12-09-2010, 08:19 PM
@papapaint great guide! btw what addons are u using?

Aguas
12-10-2010, 03:48 AM
Just to point out that "Caster DPS needs to watch out for Elementium Bulwark, which gives Ozruk a 20% chance to reflect any spells targeting him." can be spellstealed by a mage, and probably dispelled.
Nice guide, waiting to see the diferences on heroic.

CatabriOnEarthen
12-10-2010, 10:55 AM
Nice vid Papapaint. And anything I typed to say about the narration just sounded dirty. :P

Xcision
12-12-2010, 03:10 PM
hey, i was just wondering what addons you used, you have one kick ass looking set up and i want to get something that is close how yours looks and functions

Muspel
12-12-2010, 05:57 PM
Just to point out that "Caster DPS needs to watch out for Elementium Bulwark, which gives Ozruk a 20% chance to reflect any spells targeting him." can be spellstealed by a mage, and probably dispelled.
Well, warrior tanks can Shield Slam it off, so I'd assume that other dispels would work, too.

Bovinity
12-13-2010, 09:39 AM
I'm a little disappointed though, because I think they lowered the tuning on the dungeon from Beta to Live. When the last boss picked up my tank on Beta and tossed him around, it destroyed my full health pool and not getting a heal during it meant death. Something like 25k a tick for 3 ticks. It doesn't hit nearly that hard anymore. In fact, I don't even notice it.

Force Grip seems really hit or miss and I'm not entirely sure why yet. Most of the time it's like you say, she grips me and it basically does nothing but move me around. Other times she'll grip me and my health bar blows up.

uglybbtoo
12-13-2010, 06:13 PM
Nice guide.

He also has an ability called "Ground Slam". Ozruk will rear back and then beat the snot out of anyone within 8 yards of the impact point. This ability will also interrupt all spellcasting, so either stand at max range or be sure not to cast as he completes the Ground Slam.

This is completely interruptable and are spaced far enuf I can get everyone with mind freeze on my DK. DBM actually screams at you to do the interrupt and don't be confused the animation still goes thru just no damage etc results. Shatter isn't interruptable .. run :-)

Steakdinner
12-14-2010, 09:18 AM
Unless they added the magic dispel back onto shield slam, it can't be dispelled by a warrior.

Grombrindal
12-14-2010, 10:11 AM
Unless they added the magic dispel back onto shield slam, it can't be dispelled by a warrior.

Yes, shield slam takes it off, which is actually a huge annoyance in heroic since the reflect is used to take off the paralyze debuff for casters. I had to do the fight w/o shield slam since I had to watch closely for both ground slam and shatter since they are both tank killers on heroic.

I hope they make the change to where it cannot be dispelled because not using shield slam sucks :(.

Grom

mad_hatter_md01
12-19-2010, 11:03 AM
What was the addon that the videographer was using that had the buffs popping up in the middle of the screen?

Symph
12-19-2010, 05:00 PM
Force Grip seems really hit or miss and I'm not entirely sure why yet. Most of the time it's like you say, she grips me and it basically does nothing but move me around. Other times she'll grip me and my health bar blows up.
This can be interrupted. The times she destroys you is probably from not getting interrupted.

45gunner2
12-20-2010, 02:57 AM
What interface is the commentator using in the Stonecore Video

Korbandallas
12-22-2010, 03:52 PM
Xu

For warrior tanks this can be somewhat of a challenge because when he says billions of adds come out, its true and its quite a chore trying to round them up into the void zones.

nicrosis
12-29-2010, 06:54 AM
A technique we have been using is to keep most of the group to the left hand side of the room (while facing her) to force the adds to walk through the void zones to get to the healer (which seems to be who they always migrate to until the tank picks them up). The void zones deal them considerable damage. As the tank, I also try to gather quickly and position them under the boulders when they impact.
It seems that the void zones deal her damage as well if you tank her where she is standing in them, but not sure if that is true. Also, that does make it difficult for your melee DPS.
Thanks, great video and commentary

infonaut
02-09-2011, 06:31 AM
Well done guide and I look forward to viewing more for other encounters. TY

Quan
02-22-2011, 06:42 AM
"Overall, Ozruk is the simplest encounter in The Stonecore." I saw this and I finally, after 2 years of watching tankspot had to sign up to post. Then I realized you were talking about normal mode. 10 bucks says he is still trying to make it through Ozruk on Heroic mode to finish the heroic guide :P As a tank, Ozruk is nasty. Maybe as a ranged dps you don't have to worry about getting 1 shot by Ground Slam or running out of range for Shatter, or getting thrown out of range/los of your healer by missing getting out of range, but for the rest of us, this encounter is by far the hardest in Stonecore. Just thought you should know, Papa.

Papapaint
02-22-2011, 08:49 AM
"Overall, Ozruk is the simplest encounter in The Stonecore." I saw this and I finally, after 2 years of watching tankspot had to sign up to post. Then I realized you were talking about normal mode. 10 bucks says he is still trying to make it through Ozruk on Heroic mode to finish the heroic guide :P As a tank, Ozruk is nasty. Maybe as a ranged dps you don't have to worry about getting 1 shot by Ground Slam or running out of range for Shatter, or getting thrown out of range/los of your healer by missing getting out of range, but for the rest of us, this encounter is by far the hardest in Stonecore. Just thought you should know, Papa.

Having tanked it, healed it, and dps'd it, it's still the simplest encounter in stonecore--just the least forgiving. You have two abilities the entire fight, and both are simple movement. Unlike the more complex encounters, however, a single mistake is generally a group wipe.

Bovinity
02-22-2011, 08:51 AM

I'm pretty much the tank in 99% of all heroics I do, and I can say that Ozruk really is an incredibly simple fight. Even before the nerfs, it's pretty much just a movement check. None of the mechanics are particuarly challenging or involved, simply move out of the way of the big hurty things.

Kinch
02-22-2011, 09:01 AM
There's no need to round up adds if everyone (especially the healer) is paying attention on Azil. Use the void zones.

Ion
02-22-2011, 09:05 AM
There's no need to round up adds if everyone (especially the healer) is paying attention on Azil. Use the void zones.

For the love of god DON'T round up the adds...you're just making your healer want light your face on fire and then punch it out.

The healer should just be standing on the other side of void zones and letting them kill all the adds...eventually they might run out, at that point you can feel free to grab them, but while there are void zones the adds should just be killed by them.

Kurushimu
03-16-2011, 01:36 PM
Something I just wanted to add:

I know it's a trash pull, but at the beginning it's the "Stonecore Earthshaper" mob that transforms into a "Force of Earth." Fortunately, it's an interruptable effect. I noticed it on accident, and when I found out interrupts worked, I was usually able to keep them from transforming, which avoids the aoe damage altogether.

lukezskywalk
04-17-2011, 10:20 PM
Having tanked it, healed it, and dps'd it, it's still the simplest encounter in stonecore--just the least forgiving. You have two abilities the entire fight, and both are simple movement. Unlike the more complex encounters, however, a single mistake is generally a group wipe.

If simplest means the average deaths associated with Orzuk for an average group is 0 then it is not true. This guy reminds me of http://www.wowhead.com/npc=29120 during the vanilla Wrath except Orzuk has 2 INSTANT DEATH mechanics.

Encounters where you can learn the mechanics of the fight on the fly and/or are forgiving enough that you can survive them otherwise are considered easy.

Obviously this boss is trivialized if you spent time wiping and learning via multiple groups, but that's the same with anything else. It is definitely not easy to learn giving what I stated.

Killjoy124
05-15-2011, 01:01 AM
So I seem to keep dieing in this fight as a range DPS which really shouldn't be happening. The paralyze always seems to get me for a long time and then the big damage hit when it breaks. Is there a way to break it early to not take damage, I see the melee not getting stunned. What am I doing wrong.

Fetzie
05-15-2011, 04:42 AM
So I seem to keep dieing in this fight as a range DPS which really shouldn't be happening. The paralyze always seems to get me for a long time and then the big damage hit when it breaks. Is there a way to break it early to not take damage, I see the melee not getting stunned. What am I doing wrong.

The boss will put up a buff called "Elementium Bulwark", this reflects any spells used against the boss for the next 8 or so seconds. The paralysis breaks if you take damage. So you need to cast a DoT spell that gets reflected on to yourself which will break the paralysis.

Kazeyonoma
05-16-2011, 02:11 PM
Also make sure if you have a prot warrior he holds off on shield slamming the boss (retarded but it's true) because he'll debuff the bulwark and screw over the casters.

Meshuggah
05-16-2011, 02:13 PM
The boss will put up a buff called "Elementium Bulwark", this reflects any spells used against the boss for the next 8 or so seconds. The paralysis breaks if you take damage. So you need to cast a DoT spell that gets reflected on to yourself which will break the paralysis.

If you have a shaman, make sure they are purging it. I am not sure if mages can spell steal it or not, but if they can, they should be.

Shambells
09-21-2011, 12:15 PM
I normally don't post In the 5 man heroics but that last post made my head hurt. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD stop telling retarded mages to spellsteal that buff. If my alt priest has to heal that boss ONE more time with retarded dps I'm going to lose my mind. DO NOT dispel that. It screws your healer epically. Yes, I know that means you can't dps for about half the time. I also don't care. Stop it. PS the reason I'm so angry is because I asked some Mage why he thought that was a good idea and he told me l2readtankspot. At which point I blew up. Then I came here to read it and I erupted. Don't put retarded things on here, please. Thanks.

Theotherone
09-21-2011, 12:44 PM
Meh, now a days, you can just heal through it.

metalbunny
11-24-2011, 03:40 AM
Something I just wanted to add:

I know it's a trash pull, but at the beginning it's the "Stonecore Earthshaper" mob that transforms into a "Force of Earth." Fortunately, it's an interruptable effect. I noticed it on accident, and when I found out interrupts worked, I was usually able to keep them from transforming, which avoids the aoe damage altogether.

Those guys can also be easily CC'ed, with Sap, Polymorph, Hex, Repent, and pretty much anything else. Those pulls are 100 times easier and faster if you simply CC the earthshaper, kill Manahouse (and keep Manahouse silenced as much as possible) and his friends, and then kill the earthshapers.

We really need a heroic guide for Stonecore, the bosses in this instance are so significantly different on heroic that getting groups able to just get the first boss down is still a challenge, even a year after release.

metalbunny
11-24-2011, 03:43 AM
I normally don't post In the 5 man heroics but that last post made my head hurt. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD stop telling retarded mages to spellsteal that buff. If my alt priest has to heal that boss ONE more time with retarded dps I'm going to lose my mind. DO NOT dispel that. It screws your healer epically. Yes, I know that means you can't dps for about half the time. I also don't care. Stop it. PS the reason I'm so angry is because I asked some Mage why he thought that was a good idea and he told me l2readtankspot. At which point I blew up. Then I came here to read it and I erupted. Don't put retarded things on here, please. Thanks.

You forgot WHY not to spellsteal it: Simply put, healers will debuff themselves using the spell-reflect which allows them to break out of paralyze in time to heal people through shatter.

Though I found with my holy pally, who don't really have any debuff to use for that mechanic, that healing people up after shatter is not that big a deal once you get a big of gear.

On normal though, none of his mechanics, cept for the ground slam, are anything to worry about.