PDA

View Full Version : PST - Episode 6

Lore
12-03-2010, 12:45 PM
mD3i2NYRVCQ

Questions answered this week:

Is running dungeons a good way to level?
How do I manage two 10-man groups?
How much farming of previous tiers will we have to do?

And more!

Zarekk
12-03-2010, 12:56 PM
Another great episode Lore.

Technical issue... whats up with that buzz sound in the background?

Krenian
12-03-2010, 01:05 PM
That's actually a pretty cool looking coat. What is it?

kymmico
12-03-2010, 01:13 PM
Great show, Lore!

To add to what you were saying about leveling via dungeons - You are also going to need full ICC-25 gear if you want to start off by leveling in dungeons. The reason for this is because you cannot get into Throne of Tides without an average gear ilevel of like 275. I can't remember the exact number (altho I think it was 275), but when I was in the beta I could not get into any of the dungeons until I got some of the gear through the quests (they're ilevel 300+) and I had a combination of ICC-10 & 25 gear.

Martie
12-03-2010, 01:24 PM
-Tuesday's coming, did you bring your coat?
-I live in a giant bucket. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuOvqeABHvQ)

enthernal
12-03-2010, 01:49 PM
what's up with the annoying buzz in the background? hope you can fix it by the time you record the next marmoth.

Haineko
12-03-2010, 01:49 PM
I hear it too wonder if it's where the mic is.

Lore
12-03-2010, 02:03 PM
Yeah I'm not sure what the cause of that is. I didn't hear it while editing yesterday but I went back and checked and it's actually in the original capture files.

Will have it sorted out by next show.

Lore
12-03-2010, 02:04 PM

Aha, I figured it was a reference to something but I haven't watched Rejected in quite a while.

Bodasafa
12-03-2010, 05:01 PM

I watched about half of that clip. Someone is on serious drugs.

OMGHAX
12-03-2010, 05:36 PM
Lore, I am a military trained sniper and I tend to notice things. I have only once glimpsed anything interesting in the reflection in the framed poster behind you. I saw you wife's back and arm as she was using a computer, this was before you changed your camera placement. I haven't seen anything worth noting since that time.

Watching your hair grow longer is about the only thing I seem to notice anymore. Do you think for the sake of my sanity you could hide easter eggs in the background or something for me to look at other than you face, as interesting as it is, I have seen it plenty of times.

I'm not a stalker ...

Lore
12-03-2010, 06:04 PM
Creepy.

Damango
12-03-2010, 06:22 PM
lol the noise sincs up with your Hipno eyes on ur DP :S

reepicheep37
12-03-2010, 07:10 PM
Lore, I am a military trained sniper and I tend to notice things. I have only once glimpsed anything interesting in the reflection in the framed poster behind you. I saw you wife's back and arm as she was using a computer, this was before you changed your camera placement. I haven't seen anything worth noting since that time.

Watching your hair grow longer is about the only thing I seem to notice anymore. Do you think for the sake of my sanity you could hide easter eggs in the background or something for me to look at other than you face, as interesting as it is, I have seen it plenty of times.

I'm not a stalker ...

hahahaha wow, that made my day

On topic: Our guild tried to do multiple 10 man runs for a while...and for a while it worked. We had 2 consistent teams going, and a 3rd one budding and everything was going fine. Eventually it got to be too much to handle for everyone involved, and the other team split off and started their own guild. What we've been doing since then (because we still have more players than needed for a 10 man, and none of us wants to do a 25 man) is an official progression run, along with a guild "pug", where we kind of pug out of the people who can't make it on progression raid night or alts.

xXRaidenXx
12-04-2010, 05:54 PM
That exact same thing happened to the guild im an officer/raid lead/recruiter of. Our first team got very jealous of my team when we started pushing further into icc then they were. Short story is they made me come to their team leaving my team without a raid lead and half of that team left and made a new guild, luckily i have two lvl 80s now so im back to raid leading on my alt,... well until cata comes out and i have to lvl again.

Schalde
12-05-2010, 09:29 AM
So i guess for us european watchers the time for the midnight release would be around 2 at day ... is that correct? :)

nosscire
12-05-2010, 11:27 AM
Regarding the two different 10mans, that really would depend on what kind of guild you are running, and how you set the teams up.

If you are running a guild which focus allot on fast progression, I doubt that it's possible to not get some level of competition and maybe even drama, but then again, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Two groups competing which each other can push both groups forward faster - provided that you can handle any drama that might arise.

What must not happen is that people feel that all the good people goes to one group, and everyone else is left behind. That is a brewing ground for drama.
If you really were to top the teams to get the best possible team, it would probably be better to just split the guild up right away so that you don't have too many players, because otherwise it will just be a matter of time before it all explodes in your face.

Basicly, if the teams are fairly balanced, it can work out well, and competition might even be a good thing.

If you on the other hand have a more casual guild, where progression is a good thing, but not as vital, the moving of people around is a good idea. Actually, i'd say it might even be a demand to avoid drama, as people otherwise are prone to feel that they are in the good team, or in the bad team.
By balancing the teams each week and having good communication between raid leaders, you can keep both teams on fairly equal progression paths, as well as making sure that everyone is happy with everyone. The overall speed of progression will most likely go down though, simply because you are not running all the best people in one group.

sardaukarz
12-06-2010, 09:58 AM
just wondering as I started the video I haz a gold seller banner popping out...
is it just me?
kinda funny but not cool at the same time.
thnkz for any hint (hint not hit...)

EDIT

I think it's comming from YouTube cause second and 3rd time around it's totally different adds but related to MMOs. Sorry for bothering

Kaels
12-06-2010, 04:59 PM
On the two different 10s: It's a difficult thing to balance. My guild has, at different points, juggled anywhere between two and six 10s. It's possible to do it and not break the guild...but then again, it's also possible to do it in a way that contributes to drama that could break a less resilient guild. Things we've learned:

- Don't just sit down and make two arbitrary groups of people on the principle of "equal" division of talent/roles/whatever. The groups won't be equal - they never are. Whatever excuse you decide to use for the reason you split the groups the way you did, it shouldn't be fairness/equality, because then the first thing the people in the slower-progressing group will start looking for is indications of bias.

- Don't split pairs of people who already work well as a team. There are often tank or healing pairs, or occasionally healer/tank combos, who function brilliantly together - sometimes both members are actually star players, but a lot of times it's just synergy. Keep the complementary pairs together, even if it means the other group might have a "weaker" tanking/healing combo. They'll have a chance to develop their own synergy.

- Don't swap members around semi-randomly. Raiders do need to get to know each other in order to do well in progression content.

- Don't assign anyone to lead your progression raids if you have reason to doubt his/her commitment to your guild.

- Do swap leaders sometimes. Really. A lot of times, when a raid is progressing really well, it's leadership. Same when it's failing to progress. Even if you have different leadership philosophies, you can learn from each other and from each other's raiders.

- Do swap groups of players occasionally. Not one at a time, not random weekly shuffling, but trade maybe 3-4 people (selected for role match) every now and then.

- Do hold alt runs, runs for new raiders, and similar stuff where members of both raids run together. Try to do this often.

- Do have a zero-tolerance policy for talking sh!t about the other raid and its members.

- Do swap in alts of members of the other raid to fill gaps in your roster. Don't invite pugs if a guild member can come (provided they're geared/ready for that tier of content).