PDA

View Full Version : Paladin Ret Pal 1H/Shield or 2H now??

xion824
12-02-2010, 06:24 PM
I'm still fairly new to the whole Ret Pally thing. I've been seeing some other Ret's getting much better dps output with 1H and shield than me with a 2H heirloom and comparable gear. Is this now the choice for dps, or am I seeing things? I did notice that tanks seem to be putting out much more dps now. I just hit 70, and according to recount, in a 5-man I'm getting about 900dps. I feel like I'm really missing something. Any ideas?

Eoika
12-02-2010, 06:27 PM
Wait till 85, its really hard to state where classes should be anywhere other then that. Ret-1h may be the way go at your level, but that doesn't yield true at 85, or it shouldn't at least, since the idea of ret is "IHAZTWOHANDS".

Krenian
12-03-2010, 08:19 AM
...wait...what?

How the heck does this work?

Reev
12-03-2010, 08:22 AM
I'm thinking maybe you're encountering prot paladins? Sometimes prot can put out much higher dps than other low level paladins because they have access to more AoE abilities. Maybe this is what you're seeing? A 1h weapon should never do more damage than an equal item level 2h weapon for ret. Not only do 2h weapons generally hit harder, but you also get 2 handed specialization built into the spec to make you do I think 25%? more damage while wielding a 2 hander.

trazik
12-20-2010, 09:54 AM
As a lvl 85 ret Pally with iLevel over 329 (heroics minimum) I tested my DPS and was saddened to see it in the 4000 to 4500 range (depending upon the Seal I used). I was able to peak at 5300 to 5500 if I got lucky with free, repeated Excorcisms.

I have a guild-mate Shaman who claims his DPS is consistently 9000, and I have heard rumours (maybe half-truths) of up to 15000 DPS from braggers in-game.

I accept that I am rather new (3 months playing WoW) but Paladin DPS seems really bad.

Turkson
12-20-2010, 02:10 PM
As a lvl 85 ret Pally with iLevel over 329 (heroics minimum) I tested my DPS and was saddened to see it in the 4000 to 4500 range (depending upon the Seal I used). I was able to peak at 5300 to 5500 if I got lucky with free, repeated Excorcisms.

I have a guild-mate Shaman who claims his DPS is consistently 9000, and I have heard rumours (maybe half-truths) of up to 15000 DPS from braggers in-game.

I accept that I am rather new (3 months playing WoW) but Paladin DPS seems really bad.

If you want help, please post your armory. Myself and several others here have been raiding Ret paladins since before it was cool, and can help you out with your dps.

trazik
12-20-2010, 11:42 PM
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/nordrassil/trazik/advanced

Go easy on me please, I have a lot to learn. :o Note that I often switch between Retribution and Protection specs while doing daily quests.

I have checked out maxdps.com and entered my data. It seems my talent tree is good. I need to tweak my glyphs a bit, and I need to learn about caps for expertise, haste, mastery, hit etc, and how to reforge them.

Here is the link to that page (I hope it shows the real numbers, I have had issues with it not updating):

http://www.maxdps.com/paladin/retribution.php?saveID=d640346a19

It seems to suggest my DPS should be some crazy number like 11.5k, but when I tested on a combat dummy I got 4000 - 4400.

Advice appreciated.

Trazik

swollenpickles
12-21-2010, 04:19 PM
[/URL]I have checked out maxdps.com and entered my data. It seems my talent tree is good. I need to tweak my glyphs a bit, and I need to learn about caps for expertise, haste, mastery, hit etc, and how to reforge them.

Here is the link to that page (I hope it shows the real numbers, I have had issues with it not updating):

[URL]http://www.maxdps.com/paladin/retribution.php?saveID=d640346a19 (http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/nordrassil/trazik/advanced)

It seems to suggest my DPS should be some crazy number like 11.5k, but when I tested on a combat dummy I got 4000 - 4400.

Advice appreciated.

Trazik

First not sure but maybe you logged out in PvP gear? There were 3-4 pvp items equipped which may go some way to explaining the below.

I'm not a ret expert but looking at your armory the first thing I noticed is that you are way below the hit cap (you're at 2.45% atm, need to be 8% for ret still?), so you'll be missing quite a bit particularly if you are testing on the 85 raid dummy. You are also well under the expertise cap so some of your attacks will be getting dodged etc.

You could reforge your least important secondary stat (whatever that is for ret - I'm sure someone else can advise) until you hit the hit cap. You could also use the seal of vengeance glyph that gives you +10 expertise whenever running with that seal. Your gear is also missing enchants and gems which may give you a boost as well.

Basically the rule I've been following for reforging is to find out what the least useful secondary stat is for your spec or class is and reforge that stat to hit to make sure I'm capped. So basically reforge you least useful secondary stat to your most useful secondary stat (whatever that might be given your situation).

trazik
12-21-2010, 10:15 PM
If I have PvP gear it is news to me. I have not intentionally purchased any. My gear is primarily crafted Bloodied Pyrium Plate (iLevel high enough to qualify for heroic dungeons) and whatever tank gear I could get via questing.

How do I figure out if gear is PvP or PvE?

Nothing has been gemmed or enchanted because my gear set is temporary, designed to get me into heroic dungeons. Of course, these are way too hard at the moment, so I am kind of stuck with it now.

Where should I go to learn about the various caps, in simple, jargon-free English?

Where can I learn about reforging (also, in jargon-free English)?

Perhaps there is a more appropriate forum for me to ask these questions, as this is a long way from the OP.

Goros
12-21-2010, 11:00 PM

Our ret pally on our raid team pulled ~24k DPS on Halfus 10M, and in 5 man heroics regularly pulls 15k. You're doing something wrong.

Here's the link to the Halfus fight parse.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/bpm6ws4apnh59boz/sum/damageDone/?s=6424&e=6764#Jabooty

Also, if your item has resilience anywhere on it, it's pvp.

trazik
12-21-2010, 11:06 PM
Apologis to the OP. I have created a thread here, for discussions regarding my characters' weaknesses and my desire to improve:

http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.php?72765-Retribution-Paladin-needing-lots-of-advice

Mr.Winkle
12-22-2010, 09:33 AM
Our ret pally on our raid team pulled ~24k DPS on Halfus 10M, and in 5 man heroics regularly pulls 15k. You're doing something wrong.

Here's the link to the Halfus fight parse.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/bpm6ws4apnh59boz/sum/damageDone/?s=6424&e=6764#Jabooty

Also, if your item has resilience anywhere on it, it's pvp.

Lol you can't go quoting Halfus Wyrmbreaker parses as resonable DPS numbers. Not only does releasing the drakes put a damage increasing debuff on the boss but if you tank the boss and adds together cleave will play a large part in the DPS achieved.

Goros
12-22-2010, 04:00 PM
This is true, but pulling 15k on bosses in 5 man heroics should indicate something, considering the avg ilevel of his toon is 346. Also, if you check the parse for rankings (the buff notwithstanding) he ranked #31 out all ret pallies worldwide reporting to WoL. If he can do it with 346 Ilevel, there's no reason someone else can't, if they are doing it right.

While it's not a representative number by itself compared to heroics, it's also a raid, so it's not going to compare evenly no matter what.

Asterinos
01-05-2011, 07:51 AM
As stated before, any item that has resilience is for PvP. Also, you could run into the situation of not being able to find better gear from the AH or from quests anymore and are forced to use nothing put that until you get the chance to upgrade with gear from heroic 5 mans. I have fallen into that situation actually and am currently attempting to find better gear.

If you're really worried about gems and enchants, find ones that are relevant to your role that are cheap and lower level, especially if the gear is only temporary. This way you're not wasting all of your gold on the top of the line enchants and gems while being able to get some sort of stat boost at the same time.

Two sites that I know of that have reliable information are Tankspot and Elitistjerks. Also, I use retributionpaladins.com and I think it's a pretty good site. In the long run it comes down to personal preferences when using websites.

Reforging for Alliance is in the enchant trainer building in SW, and I'm not sure where it is for the Horde. Reforging takes a secondary stat, one that isn't strength, stamina, etc., and makes it into a new stat. So let's say you have mastery on a chest piece and you need to get hit capped. You go to the reforging place, drag the the chest piece to the window, select mastery from the first drop down list, then select hit rating from the second. This will give you hit rating instead of mastery and these changes can be undone if need be.

I hope this was helpful. I'm also fairly new to the concept of ret pally mechanics as I wasn't 80 for very long and have just recently hit 85.

Muffin Man
01-05-2011, 02:33 PM
Now that the thread's been necro-ed I figured I'd chime in about one of our DK's who just hit Cata content.

He was using the Ring of Blood 2h-er. Now he's using a 1h-er.

http://www.wowhead.com/compare?items=41816;59807 =p.